“Couldnt have gone better - Woodborough Hall delivered”
Review of Woodborough Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodborough
Woodborough Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Woodborough B&B and Inns
Nottingham
“Couldnt have gone better - Woodborough Hall delivered”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I would just like to put in writing what a great wedding we had at Woodborough Hall on 23rd March 2012. It was a Friday so we were very,very,very,very lucky to have Claire as our co-ordinator for the day. She was absolutely amazing from the first minute we arrived to the very end. Manager Matt was also on hand to ensure everything went to plan which im very pleased to say it did. As with most you go into the biggest day of your life a little blind,not knowing really what to expect. Then up steps Claire to put your mind totally at ease-phew. From button holes to ushering guests she nailed it. The whole operation was very slick.

One thing you will notice from alot of reviews is how good the food is at Woodborough Hall. Im only going to echo that. Chef Des and the team really delivered. We had duck salad to start with which we thought was a little risky but everyone loved it. As for main,we decided on the scottish beef. Well,that was cooked to perfection and we had so many great comments. You also received plenty of veg and potatoes. Well done the kitchen team.

In the evening we decided against the buffet and went for the hog roast and what a winner that was. The quality was there and with the drinks flowing by that stage of the evening it was really welcomed.

Since the wedding we have had so many positive comments about the venue that i only felt it right to share this on Trip Advisor.

PS. Thank you also to Laura,who co-ordinated everything in the months leading upto our special day.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Paul R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We were given an overnight stay with meal and Champagne for a Wedding present last year.

It really was fabulous, champagne afternoon tea, there was so much food, sandwiches scones and cakes etc. A gorgeous afternoon relaxing in the very spacious bedroom. With a fab meal at night.

A lovely, thoughtful gift for our wedding.

Only downside was that there was no hot water in the rooms, so we were unable to make use of the gigantic roll top bath! We asked at Reception and they seemed unsure why there was no water, and couldn't really help which was a shame.

Never mind, was still a lovely overnight treat!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lucie2000
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Firstly I'd like to say in terms of the venue it is a stunning setting and ideally suited to weddings.
Matthew the general manager was superb and helped the day run very smoothly. Polite and non intrusive he didn't rush anything and was there to make the day as seamless as possible.
The ceremony room, the orangery is a beautiful light spacious room which gorgeous views from the windows and the orange trees add a great touch and bring a very natural feel to the rooms.
The mirrors throughout the venue are stunning and also create opportunities for amazing photography.
The food is amazing, we have had so many comments from guests about how good it was and we were thrilled with the food and service we received. King prawn starter, lamb shank main and a trio of deserts - we'd definitely eat here again!
The rooms are also beautiful, each individual (we booked 4/5 for friends and family) and the roll top baths, individual furniture and very comfortable beds made a for a really lovely stay.
Ok time for the negatives...
The bar isn't cheap, but we expected that as it is a hotel.
Whilst I was getting ready my bridesmaids, mum and I ordered sandwiches and champagne and although this was great it was disappointing that no-one thought to clear this away and it was only cleared away by some of our friends who went into the room to 'decorate' our bed!
The wedding planner... Admitably she was new and wasn't the amazing Laura who we had dealt with initially and right up to 6 weeks before the wedding, however...
We were never told Laura had left, only emails weren't answered quickly and no-one seemed to know our details properly...ok that's not a big deal...BUT to turn up the day before our wedding with my wedding dress which I'd been told I could leave there to then be told.."we can't keep that we have another wedding here today" so leaving upset and heading back home... My now husband! then called the venue to be spoken to rather abruptly and rudely by Hollie the new wedding planner who said that I could call her to discuss. I did. During this phonecall it was insinuated that I had made details up and basically no apology was made for the mixup, and after then asking to check all the other details discovered my arrival time to get ready had been changed and some of our pre orders were now incorrect. Needless to say I was both incredibly upset but also angry at her tone, attitude and basic lack of customer service skills. On the plus side though, I rang and asked to speak to the general manager (who turned out to be Matthew) who couldn't be more helpful, reassuring and apologetic. Without him I honestly feel both myself and husband would have felt on edge about what might have gone wrong all day.
Would I recommend? Yes, absolutely but I think some attention to the smaller details need to be made and their choice of wedding planner addressed! Either that or just ask for Matthew.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank hcgrainger
London, UK.
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I went to Woodborough Hall for a wedding. The general impression is of "faded grandeur" and, yes, it could do with some money being spent on it, or at least a few licks of paint (especially given what they charge). Whilst I didn't stay at the hotel, no-one who was staying there seemed to have any complaints about the rooms, or the food, which was pretty good; as far as the wedding went, it was a superb place to hold it!

However, the hotel lets itself down by greed when it comes to the prices, and serving, or drinks. A gin and tonic costs £5; "Do you want ice?" asked the slow-moving bar person. "Err, yes". G&Ts are normally served with ice, and a slice of lime or lemon. However, no sign of any citrus!

A glass of cheap house white costs £6 for 250ml! £6 for the type of wine that costs £4 a bottle? Outrageous! Whilst I know that hotels tend to hike up prices, this is sheer greed!. I then ordered another glass some time later and was told £6.50. I queried this, and was told "Oh, you had a different type of wine". I said that no way was I going to pay £6.50. There was then much dithering behind the bar on the lines of "What shall I do with this glass of wine?" "Oh, put it on the side". What a fuss - staff in a good hotel, with an eye to keeping customers, would have apologised, and given me the expensive wine anyway!

If this hotel wants to "play with the big boys" and charge these prices, it needs to up its game and, at the very least, employ people who can think and move quickly behind the main bar - it seemed to me that the hotel had literally gone out and grabbed some kids off the street that morning, they were so slow. Funnily enough, in the room where the reception was held, the girls behind that bar were perfect! The hotel also needs to ensure that ample supplies are kept behind the bar - there seemed to be a lot of running to the wine store, but only one bottle of wine came back at any time.

All in all, a good day, but somewhat marred by greed!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Amazing venue set in stunning countryside grounds - perfect for any Wedding Day. Friends recommended this Hotel as they wanted it but it wasn't available so when I managed to look around for myself I just fell in love with the place. After seeing others in my local area - this was the one. The whole day was perfect and the staff are excellent, exceeding any expectations. Nothing was too much trouble and they made our day perfect. I would recommend this venue for anyone, in fact I would love to work there and be proud of what is on offer...

Room Tip: There is only five which makes it personal for any wedding - the Wedding Planner recommended the bro...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank NKE73
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2011

we went for Christmas day lunch with the family it was a great day the food was beautiful, the hall was stunning the staff were great. It was a nice family day.
thank you. I will be certainly booking for next year.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank liam w
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2011

My husband i stayed here for the last night of our honeymoon, we had traveled for a few hours to get to woodborough hall and after staying at several other locations across the week we were really looking forward to finishing our honeymoon on a high. We wanted to get marred at Woodborough hall however it was slightly out of our budget so when i came across a deal on groupon i jumped at the chance of booking it for us. We were so excited at the thought of staying there however when we arrived it went from bad to worse. We went straight to the reception to check in and was greeted by a very arrogant and rude man (manager), he looked and spoke to us like we were dirt on the bottom of his shoe which made things very awkward, we were then taken to our room (the white room)by a nice young lady who was very pleasant and helpful. When we got to the room it was shocking, the floor was very uneven, there were stains on the carpet, the towels in the bathroom, and the duvet cover. The duvet cover had a huge hole in it and the room was generally filthy. so far we were not impressed but as it was the last night of our honeymoon we wanted to try and make good from a bad situation. We left our belongings in the room and headed to the garden for our canapes and champagne, this took 40 minutes to get to us and when it did it was covered in caviar. The outside of the building and gardens looks amazing and so pretty, the downstairs of the building was also lovely however upstairs was shocking. After the canapes we asked to see the evening menu to make sure we liked what was on there, we remained in the garden for another 30mins an no menu came to us, we then headed back up to the room where we had to keep chasing for the menu, which eventually we were told to go down stairs and someone would get one for us. I personally did not like the evening meal as it was again covered in caviar (which was not mentioned on the menu) but my husband thought his meal was OK. The only channel we could get on the TV was channel 4. We felt so uncomfortable and unwelcome that we didn't even dare sit in the bar for a drink, we felt we had to hide away until we were due to have dinner. We were so close to going home and not staying at one point it was that bad however we had paid good money for this night, we kept hoping it would get better but it didn't, We had an awful nights sleep and looked dreadful the next day. We went for breakfast which was nice, the cooked breakfast wasn't great but i had continental which was very nice and there was loads of it too. We left straight after breakfast and could not wait to get home, We will not be going back to Woodborough Hall and would not recommend it. I think a cleaner is needed and money spent on the rooms and staff (mainly the manager) could do with going on a course to learn some people skills.

I am sad to leave this review as i had very high hopes and i have debated for a while whether to leave one or not, however hopefully woodborough hall can learn from these comments to make the place better and more welcoming,

Room Tip: If for whatever reason you do stay here, please do not stay in the white room.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chester1988

Travellers are raving about these Woodborough hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodborough
Cockliffe Country House Hotel
Colwick Hall Hotel
#5 of 49 in Nottingham
Best Western Bestwood Lodge Hotel
Innkeeper’s Lodge Nottingham, Lowdham

Been to Woodborough Hall? Share your experiences!