“Perfect place In a wonderful location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alvediston
The Crown Inn Alvediston
Ranked #1 of 1 Alvediston B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect place In a wonderful location”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

On arrival to the crown inn you are greeted by a beautiful building in an excellent rural location, I especially loved the landlords classic car parked outside the front, suited the cottage pub perfectly.

Our check in was great, very welcomed by the landlord and landlady, enjoyed a wonderful local ale before being shown to our room, which was a big cosy room with all the details that match the style of the pub, the room was very clean and fresh had fresh linen. The bed was very comfortable and we both had a brilliant night sleep

We were not particularly hungry so we had a couple of starters and desserts, my other half had the goats cheese which was beautifully presented and tasted just as good! I on the other hand had the local pate which was excellent! For dessert we shared the treacle tart, which easily was the best we had ever had and again presented to a very good standard. Breakfast in the morning was very nice, good selection and plenty of it!

Overall a brilliant stay and we would recommend this beautiful rural pub/inn to anyone, great customer service, excellent food and beer a wonderful location!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Foodlover115

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 31 March 2014

It takes quite a lot to get me riled but the landlord of this establishment managed it before even speaking to me. Then, when I did attempt to engage in conversation, (by starting with the age old opener of "Are you alright?"), I was dumbfounded at his complete lack of airs and graces or even common decency. I don't really mind but he also treated his staff in a condescending manner in front of the customers. I really can't understand how some people fall into the hospitality business when they seemingly dislike everyone.

The beer was excellent as were the pickled onions (homemade by himself, though don't attempt to compliment or discuss their finer attributes with him). I actually quite enjoyed my roast chicken though I had a fearful hunger having walked 8 miles to get there. However, the other four hardly touched their roast lamb and beef. How can you get lamb wrong when the hills around are scattered with these fine beasts?

It's a cute pub (mind your head though) and has a wonderful beer garden set in fantastic Dorset countryside.... I know that it was probably the first nice day of summer to sit out but there is no excuse for the beer garden to be completely littered with DOG POO.

Terrible shame. Normally, I would have complained directly on the day but I knew that there was no sense in speaking to the management directly. Conversation was difficult...

(p.s. sorry Caleb, my friend, but I can't agree with you!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank ZionBrew
Chichester
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Contrary and disagreeable landlord. Welcome so unfriendly that we left before even ordering, after making a detour from a journey to have a break there. I've never done anything like that before! Beautiful location and building.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank loz321
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Friendly local pub with large garden and good accommodation. The Sunday lunches are fantastic, probably the best in the area.
There are some great walks from this location as it is in a valley with a small river and downs on either side.
Highly recommend for a romantic brake.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Caleb_Fulford
bristol
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Lovely out of the way pub if you want peace and quite this is the place to be .
There are only 3 rooms but that is what makes this place special it's not over crowded with rooms .they have all you need in these rooms there is only a shower no bath but I don't think that is a problem with most people ,wifi isn't very good in the bedrooms but you can get wifi in the pub with no problems.lovely clean rooms with fresh bed linen and clean towels coffee and tea items in rooms if you want to make a drink .
Food is good if you have a meal in the pub it's not cheap but that is to be expected in rural pubs ,breakfast is lovely and plentiful dogs are out of the pub if people are eating so that isn't a problem .
The people in charge dave&linda are very friendly and helpful .

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lorraine j
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I absolutely adore this pub, I come to the area most months to do some environmental work which mainly involves being cold, wet and muddy all day. It's so nice to end the day in a beautiful thatched building with nice local beer and really lovely food (there is a bit of everything on the menu but the specials are, so far, always incredible and hit the spot every season!). I am so jealous of the huge inglenook fireplace and old beams in the area where you usually have breakfast (which is also fantastic- a choice of cereals, juice, toast, english breakfast etc. My field assistant is very fussy but Linda the landlady is very happy to cater for his needs!).

There are 3 lovely double bedrooms, and I've stayed in all 3, a few times. I call them the pink room, green room and white room and they are all warm with the radiator on (the power of old thick walls!), or easily cooled in summer, whatever you like. They are cosy, with freeview tv, standard tea/coffee facilities, towels and toiletries. I love the addition of individual furniture so that each room has a personality, my favourite is the larger white room, whereas the pink room is small and cosy if you prefer that. There are two lovely resident dogs (Puzzle and Trigger), who are only really in the public part of the pub if everyone in there is happy with it (I personally don't see why you wouldn't be). I love the selection of old fashioned games available around the bar, especially solitaire, which I have yet to conquer! They also have homemade pickles behind the bar, books available to borrow and a wifi connection.

I am always sad to leave, I can't see how anyone could dislike it here, unless of course you prefer modern, minimalist, soulless travel lodge type places! Highly recommend a visit, but don't book "my" room when I want to go!!

Room Tip: It is not a loud, busy, late night pub so noise isn't a huge issue considering how pub rooms usu...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Matilda1990
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We spent a much needed Saturday night off in the total peace and calm of the Crown Inn last weekend. The pub is literally in the middle of nowhere with fabulous log fires and super friendly service. We had a lovely dinner with partridge and some wonderful veggie options too. The rooms are cosy with their own ensuites under the eaves of the thatch.

There are loads of local walks to choose from - all from right outside the front door ....

The pet sheep were entertaining too!

Room Tip: all nice and cosy - only four to choose from.. we had number 2 which was great with a power shower...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BeaT T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alvediston
The Grove Arms
#1 of 1 in Bowerchalke
The Queen's Head
The Queen's Head
#2 of 3 in Broad Chalke

Been to The Crown Inn Alvediston? Share your experiences!