The Crown Inn Alvediston
US$108
The Grosvenor Arms(Shaftesbury)
US$148
US$140
The Pembroke Arms Hotel(Wilton)(Great Value!)
US$142
The Langton Arms(Tarrant Monkton)
US$160
US$144
US$134
US$142
TripAdvisor
All reviewslow ceilingsthatched roofthe pubcharming countryfabulous hoststraditional english breakfastchoice of cerealspeaceful locationwiltshire countrysideyogurtcharactershaftesburysalisburysteveensuitefieldstonehenge
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

On arrival to the crown inn you are greeted by a beautiful building in an excellent rural location, I especially loved the landlords classic car parked outside the front, suited the cottage pub perfectly.

Our check in was great, very welcomed by the landlord and landlady, enjoyed a wonderful local ale before being shown to our room, which was a big cosy room with all the details that match the style of the pub, the room was very clean and fresh had fresh linen. The bed was very comfortable and we both had a brilliant night sleep

We were not particularly hungry so we had a couple of starters and desserts, my other half had the goats cheese which was beautifully presented and tasted just as good! I on the other hand had the local pate which was excellent! For dessert we shared the treacle tart, which easily was the best we had ever had and again presented to a very good standard. Breakfast in the morning was very nice, good selection and plenty of it!

Overall a brilliant stay and we would recommend this beautiful rural pub/inn to anyone, great customer service, excellent food and beer a wonderful location!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Foodlover115
Reviewed 31 March 2014

It takes quite a lot to get me riled but the landlord of this establishment managed it before even speaking to me. Then, when I did attempt to engage in conversation, (by starting with the age old opener of "Are you alright?"), I was dumbfounded at his complete lack of airs and graces or even common decency. I don't really mind but he also treated his staff in a condescending manner in front of the customers. I really can't understand how some people fall into the hospitality business when they seemingly dislike everyone.

The beer was excellent as were the pickled onions (homemade by himself, though don't attempt to compliment or discuss their finer attributes with him). I actually quite enjoyed my roast chicken though I had a fearful hunger having walked 8 miles to get there. However, the other four hardly touched their roast lamb and beef. How can you get lamb wrong when the hills around are scattered with these fine beasts?

It's a cute pub (mind your head though) and has a wonderful beer garden set in fantastic Dorset countryside.... I know that it was probably the first nice day of summer to sit out but there is no excuse for the beer garden to be completely littered with DOG POO.

Terrible shame. Normally, I would have complained directly on the day but I knew that there was no sense in speaking to the management directly. Conversation was difficult...

(p.s. sorry Caleb, my friend, but I can't agree with you!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank ZionBrew
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Contrary and disagreeable landlord. Welcome so unfriendly that we left before even ordering, after making a detour from a journey to have a break there. I've never done anything like that before! Beautiful location and building.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank loz321
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Friendly local pub with large garden and good accommodation. The Sunday lunches are fantastic, probably the best in the area.
There are some great walks from this location as it is in a valley with a small river and downs on either side.
Highly recommend for a romantic brake.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Caleb_Fulford
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Lovely out of the way pub if you want peace and quite this is the place to be .
There are only 3 rooms but that is what makes this place special it's not over crowded with rooms .they have all you need in these rooms there is only a shower no bath but I don't think that is a problem with most people ,wifi isn't very good in the bedrooms but you can get wifi in the pub with no problems.lovely clean rooms with fresh bed linen and clean towels coffee and tea items in rooms if you want to make a drink .
Food is good if you have a meal in the pub it's not cheap but that is to be expected in rural pubs ,breakfast is lovely and plentiful dogs are out of the pub if people are eating so that isn't a problem .
The people in charge dave&linda are very friendly and helpful .

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple