“Great!”

Ranked #10 of 10 Keynsham B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great!”
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Really friendly landlady and great room... Perfect for a nights stay before shooting into Bath for works do! Lots of places to mill around locally, and superb distance from Bristol and Bath, without being in the middle of it all. Which we loved! Definitely recommend!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Natalie M, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave some lovely feedback. We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Fernhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My wife and I had booked to stay at the Grange Hotel down the road, but their poor attitude (see my review) caused me to cancel and find an alternative. We drove down the road and pulled into the nearby Crown pub, whose signboard offers ensuite rooms. It was after 3pm. Would there be anyone on duty to greet us? Good news, the pub still had a few drinkers. A friendly young woman greeted me from behind the bar and when asked if she still had a room, it was yes with smiles, price £59. You never know quite what to expect staying at pubs on busy main roads. But our room was clean and warm and the facilities worked. The bed was comfortable, the pillow odourless and like the duvet, crisp and clean. The double glazing effectively shut out the constant A4 traffic noise. Satelite TV worked (in the inefficent way satelites work) and there were books in the room and on the landing, if TV isn’t your bag. We were too tired to have a bevvy in the pub, but the room kettle served us OK with coffee and hot chocolate. We had a good night’s sleep. I obeyed the rules at breakfast and had cereal and toast. (You are supposed to preorder a fry up, though the lady owner offered it to me and the others at breakfast in any case). We stayed here on spec. We might not have if beforehand, we had read the Trip Advisor reviews. I just wonder what the anonymous writers of the poor reviews expect. The Hilton? The Ritz? The Dorchester? It’s a pub, for heaven’s sake, and I for one say good for the hard working owners. The Crown delivered all I needed and more.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank purcyrat
Natalie M, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely words, it is really nice to hear when someone enjoys their visit. I hope your wife enjoyed her birthday surprise
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The bedrooms were acceptable and an effort had been made to decorate them to a better standard than the rest of the hotel. However the bathroom left a lot to be desired with a smell that you couldn't get rid of and a very strange and loud noise coming from the toilet every time you flushed. There was no mirror in the bedroom and the lighting was poor. The dining room was very small so as there was a group of us we decided to walk up the hill and had a highly delicious meal in the pub up the road. There was a darts match going on when we were there which unfortunately meant that the members of our group who were staying above the bar didn't get to sleep until very late despite having to cycle over 100 miles next day from a very early start.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank pensioner62
Natalie M, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you for taking time to leave us some feedback. I would like to respond to a few issues that you raised. First off you started by calling us a hotel, we are not a hotel we run a pub with a rooms above. It is unfortunate that you did stay on a darts night and the pub was a bit busier than normal, but surely you would have thought of this when you booked a pub for a nights stay. If you needed no noise due to the fact that you had a early start then it would have made more sense to book into somewhere like a Travel Lodge. The noise did stop at 11.30 when the pub closed. In response to the bathroom thank you for letting us know about the lighting and no mirror this will be dealt with this coming week to help improve other customers stay. The toilets are Saniflow toilets due to the plumbing in the building so I do appreciate the noise when the flush is pulled, but unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that unless we replace them all and install normal toilets and change all the plumbing which unfortunately is too expensive for our small business. Once again thank you for your time as we do appreciate constructive feedback where it will help us improve.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

we stayed for one night. Had we have been booked in for longer I would have rather have slept in my car. Dirty carpets , dirty bed linen ,dirty shower. We arrived late as there were road closures and the landlady wouldn't even let us buy a drink. breakfast was ok, but my thoughts were how clean was the kitchen, when the places on show were filthy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank monty k
Natalie M, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Sorry you felt this way about your stay. I would like to address a few of the issues that you have mentioned,
Check in time is bu 8 O'Clock but I stayed up and awake till 00.30 to let you in, which is why you could not buy a drink as the bar was locked and alarmed. Also my licencing hours are until 23.00 so I would have been breaking the law. With regards to the carpets being dirty they are professionally cleaned every 6 weeks due to the amount of foot fall and they were booked to be cleaned 24th August (which has now been done). You mentioned the kitchen being unclean, if you would have asked I would have more than be happy to show you around we have a 5 star hygiene rating which was given only 2 months ago.
The rooms are cleaned every single day and we know that the bathroom does need updating and the shower needs regrouting in places but this is on our list to do when funds are available. I am not sure if you have been here before but you would have seen that we have spent a lot of money in replacing and repairing a pub that was very run down and we are still in the progress.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I was keen to review the Crown particularly because it has attracted such widely divergent appraisals. Mine is somewhere in the middle. To be fair, I arrived after 10pm at night and left at 7 the next morning, so it's not exactly a full-fledged experience. First of all, though, I want to say that, in my experience, describing the Crown as dirty and smelly is a gross exaggeration. On the contrary, I felt a lot of trouble has been gone to to achieve the opposite. The reason I can't be fulsome in my praise is, I would say, a lack of attention to detail. None of this I would describe as a reason NOT to stay at the Crown, but put together it does make the difference between an okay and an exceptional experience. A few examples: sash broken in window on a warm night (successfully propped open with books and a night-light holder), no shampoo in bathroom and, more tellingly, having been, due to my early departure, very kindly provided with some requested scrambled egg cooked the night before, I went downstairs to find no means to make toast nor even any bread! Furthermore, there was no fruit either. I think my point about attention to detail is clear. 3 out of 5, could do better. :)

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Natalie M, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We have taken your points on about the broken sash in a window, this was the first time this has been pointed out to us and will get the landlord to look at repairing. With regards to breakfast, please accept my apologies as this was a misunderstanding by myself as I thought you did not want toast just the scrambled egg otherwise I would have left the facilities out for you. I have now got tinned fruit in for anyone that wishes to have fruit for breakfast unfortunately it would not be cost effected to get fresh due to the wastage as it is not a regular request. Once again thank you for your time and custom.
East grinstead
Reviewed 12 August 2013

From the front door where the drinkers all smoke, to the dirty carpets, not a nice first experience of this place. Then the room, really badly smelly, badly decorated, grubby, dirty and run down bathrooms. Breakfast okish. The room wasn't cleaned one day with a dirty cup left in the room, no change of towels over a few day visit. No soap for the shower. Really noisy toilet in the next room, which IS really noisy, and woke me up on 2 nights - I thought it was a major storm. Not a professional business, the customer comes last, also it's expensive for what you get. Never again. I just don't understand how anyone could let rooms that really smell apart from all the other bad points.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Joe O
Natalie M, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay and would like to respond to some points that you have raised. Your first impression with the front door and the smokers, unfortunately it is now against the law to smoke inside the pub so where else would they smoke other than outside?. You state the room is badly decorated it which is not true, it is obviously not your choice of colours etc which does not mean it is badly decorated. Your travelling companion obviously did not share your point of view as this was his second visit in a few weeks and he asked for the same room on this visit. You also stated that there was no change of towels, we change our towels every other day for people who are staying for a few days, you stayed 4 nights and we changed your towel as you requested a different colour so you could tell which was your towel and which was your companions (they are the same colour as each room is colour coordinated). Shower gel and Shampoo is provided as a free gift in each room, if you required more then we would have more than happy provided extra for you. In regards to customers come last I feel that is very unfair as we go out of our way to make sure customers enjoy their stay and if they have any problems and let us know at the time we do address them. You both came down late for breakfast every day and the first day we re-opened the kitchen for you to make sure you had a full cooked breakfast and the following days we kept the kitchen open for you, we did not have to do this as you knew the times as you were told and its in your room, if customers came last then we could have turned you away stating you were too late. We are not a hotel but a small pub with rooms to rent above and our prices reflect this, we are £20 cheaper a night than most of the hotels/B&B's in this area.
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

As we didn't want to stay in a large impersonal hotel in Bristol we booked in overnight at The Crown in May.We are so glad we did! Our room was clean and comfortable with all we needed provided.The atmosphere in the pub was warm and friendly and our evening meal was superb! Wonderful Tapas with delicious freshly cooked main courses.Breakfast- including a full English was again of a very high standard.A big thankyou to Shaun and Natalie and their staff for a truly
memorable stay.We look forward to returning later in the year
Mac and Jenny McCaffrey.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Natalie1234_12, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, 16 June 2013
Thank you for your lovely feedback. We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again later in the year
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keynsham
Premier Inn Bristol South Hotel
Premier Inn Bristol City Centre (Lewins Mead) Hotel
The Grange Hotel
The Grange Hotel
#1 of 10 in Keynsham

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!