“Disappointing ”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Dorset Arms

The Dorset Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dorset Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Withyham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Disappointing ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Unsure of the prior rave reviews myself....

Service is very good, and the refurbishment has brought it into the 21st century without taking away from the character. I also think the new parasols out front are a smart move, everyone likes a nice outdoor seating area.

However, the rear garden is terrible, hidden away up a shoddy alleyway, on park bench-esque tables, poor show.

Most importantly, the menu is awful. Anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't eaten out enough to know what's good and what isn't. Not only is it limited, but it lacks variety and imagination.

Shame, as the place has such potential.

1 Thank SaintGilesTW

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent sunday lunch in pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is a slick operation providing a very good, professional product.
Sunday lunch is a busy time but we never felt rushed, and were swerved swiftly.
We didn't have starters or puds (though they looked tempting) but all went for the roast Sunday lunch. A generous slab of perfectly cooked sirloin on well cooked veg and a Yorkshire pud.
Horseradish, mustard - everything that makes this meal So Good.
Well priced wine served by efficient young staff; helpful and not intrusive (one of my pet hates is waiting staff who come and tell you about 'specials' with no regard to a conversation that diners might be having).
I too really appreciated linen napkins!

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Great Refurbishment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Not visited this pub for some time and having read about the recent refurb, decided to book lunch yesterday to see friends who live nearby. So glad we did! Amazing transformation. The décor is very pleasing and the linen napkins add to the ambience of the place. All the food ordered was good and the prices good value for money. Friendly and helpful service too. Will certainly return with other friends and family in the future.

1 Thank Anne H
“Fabulous starter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

After a less than memorable dinner at The Griffin Inn Fletching we dropped into The Dorset Arms for a quick drink lunchtime. Lovely pub with very friendly bar staff. As we were not that hungry we sadly only had one of their starter specials. WOW!!! One of the most delicious starters we have eaten in a long while. Beetroot and goats cheese salad. As this was by far the best goats cheese I have ever tasted I was keen to find out where it was from. The waitress, after a chat to chef, shared his recipe with me. All the food on tables looked delicious and if we are ever in the area again I know which pub I would choose to dine in

1 Thank Anna P
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Best pub food around Tunbridge Wells”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I had been there a few years ago. Disappointing so I never went back. A friend told me the pub has been taken back by the De la Warr family and that the quality has gone up a lot.
We had a delicious meal with a German business contact.
I was impressed by the menu, the food quality, the wine choice, the comfort and the service. This is certainly going to be my pub of choice for meals.
No 5 stars: I would normally give a pub one to three, depending on quality. It's not Michelin star place but for a pub it's exceptional.
I'll be back!