“Still the best chippy around”
Review of Oliver's

Oliver's
Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Old Basing
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Fish and Chip Restaurant and Takeaway
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Since my last review of Oliver's last year I have noticed a lot of negative reviews appearing on Trip Advisor, so I thought I should re-iterate my view that it is still the best fish & chip restaurant for miles around (especially now that Mariner's in Hartley Wintney has closed). We have visited Oliver's numerous times in the last few months - both restaurant and takeaway and have never had less than a brilliant experience.

The latest visit, last Saturday for lunch, was typical. We were seated immediately by a very friendly and cheerful waiter, who took our orders promptly and brought us our drinks and complimentary bread & butter immediately. The food was, as always, cooked to perfection and portion sizes were more than adequate. People who complain about the size of fish and say they would prefer to pay more for larger portions clearly have not spotted that all fish is available in 3 sizes. Personally, I found the Jumbo Haddock difficult to finish. The home-made soup starter was excellent, the fish fresh and in succulent crispy batter and the chips hot and tasty - despite the current quality of potatoes available at this time of year.

OK it's not a "fine dining" place, but what do you expect from a chippy?? I have no hesitation in recommending this place highly - despite the comments of other reviewers - and will continue to visit regularly.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Olivers regularly wins best fish & chip shop in Basingstoke, but that understates how good it is. A full range of fish, including huss, usually an interesting special which you can have grilled as well as deep fried, fair sized portions and always tastes fresh. The restaurant is straightforward and unstuffy. Good value, great taste.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have used this place many times in the past, both the restaurant and the take away - but not again. Had cod and chips take away tonight and I think I have bigger goldfish in my pond than the piece of cod we received! I would far rather pay a little more and have a slightly bigger piece of fish. True it was the standard cod, but even so it looked more like a child's portion to me. Chips were hard. Pity because it has a good reputation.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Have been a few times to the restaurant and a few times having a takeaway from there... And each time it has got slightly worse since our original review. However I can say today was probably the last time I will be going. Their fish is the only thing that is quite decent there, their chips are and were very disappointing, not only are they tasteless and quite often hard but their portion size is ridiculous, today I ordered a large size chips only to find when I got home that it was at most one handful of chips, and for just shy of £2.50 they should be wearing black and white striped jumpers and a mask.
So... Based on my recent experience's and today's, if this is Basingstoke's best then Basingstoke needs to look harder. What would make it better, better portion size for the price, or lower their prices. One thing that did put me off again was while I was queuing I noticed the fryer with a burger in his hand picking it at it and picked a bit off and ate it. This then went in the warmer as "to go" for a customer in the restaurant... Hmmmm not sure sampling a customer's food is what you would call great service!

2  Thank john a
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Ate there on Sunday at noon, initially it was very quiet and we got served even quicker than normal!

I had whitebait and jumbo haddock & chips; my partner had the grilled swordfish and to top it off I had the pineapple fritters.

What can I say? The service is excellent and the food top rate. Rarely have we had a complaint about the place which we use frequently. If you want excellent fish & chips then here's the place to be,

it does get busy at meal times as everyone else know's where to come.

Highly recommended, we will be back! :)