This was a last minute booking on the way back from Dorset.
It's not quite what you would expect, HOWEVER, we were blown away by the warm welcome, friendliness, and eagerness to please of John and Mary (A charming Chinese couple) who own and run this little gem!!
We stayed ONE night and we had a beautiful room (more like a suite) had four poster bed, huge flat screen TV and blue ray player, bathroom with bath AND very powerful roomy shower. It was delightful and spotlessly clean, warm and welcoming. Not part of the main building, it was a thatched wooden clad building with french doors looking out to the small courtyard. Absolutely charming!!
We ate in the hotel restaurant (which was Chinese obviously), but before that (as my husband is a lover of real ales) we ventured out to the pub/B&B that he had stayed in years before, only to find that it was closed. He was disappointed and accepted he'd make do with a G&T back at the hotel. When we went into the bar, my Husband asked the young man behind the bar if he had ANY real ales, the young man pointed to the casks sitting on the bar!! THREE of them. He was offered a taste of each, after choosing one he liked, he exclaimed that this was IN FACT the best pint of real ale he'd had all weekend!!! Who would have know this would happen!!
The food was excellent, beautifully presented, appetising and hot. I have to say I had the most GORGEOUS toffee apples with vanilla ice cream, absolutely yummy!!
We slept well and had a freshly cooked breakfast (which we had to order the night before). We were allowed plenty of time to check out as nothing was too much trouble for John and Mary. We had a last coffee and went on our way.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone, not least for the owners great sense of humour. He was very funny and made our stay VERY memorable indeed!!
Thank you John and Mary and staff for an enjoyable stay!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Plough B & B is a 16th Century building which has kept some of its original features such as its thatched roof and inglenook fireplace set in the heart of Oxfordshire near the river Thames. 2.7 miles to Dorchester on Thames, 4-5 miles to Didcot & Harwell, Milton Park and Abingdon, 7 miles to center of Oxford & university colleges. All of our rooms are en suite with hair dryer, trouser press, tea & coffee making facilities,a small fridge, 32" - 43" free view televisions with USB ports for playing home movies & photos, bluray player provided upon request, Wifi is free ( fibre optic broad band up to 200 meg. will be installed before mid of December 2015 ). * Please note there is no restauratn or pub in the building. * Free parking is ganranteed available even for 600 size van. There are a few restaurants nearby. The Barley Mow restaurant is 5 mins walk away by the bridge near the river Thames, The chequershere the chef cooks deliciou food is 1.1 miles and 3 mins drive or if you fancy a delicious indian or another traditional pub food is 1.3 miles to next village in Long Whitenham. The famous Crazy Bear hotel & Restaurant is also 3.5 miles away. A small village store & post office is across the main road. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your The Plough Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Plough Hotel Clifton Hampden
- The Plough Inn Clifton Hampden, Oxfordshire