“Great Place for Food and Rest”
Review of The Railway Inn

The Railway Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Culham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Walking the Thames Way and chose the Railway Inn for our first overnight stop. Great little find, friendly and welcoming staff. Good beer and good food. The breakfast was the best we had on the whole walk. Of course there were trains (it is called the Railway Inn) but when you have been walking all day you soon get to sleep and nothing wakes you up. Would recommend this establishment to anyone walking the Thames Way.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 March 2013

The staff were really nice and friendly. Breakfast was good. Room was terrible. twin room beds were so small you could not roll over with-out losing the sheet or falling out. As others have remarked,the railway's go's right past. Ideal if you like your trains. But from 5am the freight trains go pass and rattled the pillow under my head. Also made our bathroom floor virbrate for some reason. And the bathroom, taking a pee while standing up involved leaning against the wall and ducking. The roof eaves cut through the bathroom. Had to duck the whole time I was in there.
For reference dont get out of bed to fast if you are in the top bedrooms. The dent in the celling was from me head..sorry about that!
Plus points..Abingdon bridge beer server in the bar is very nice.Food nice pub grub.Breakfast good.
Bad points....wish I had slept in the car.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lyndon011
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We had a pleasant stay, a nice evening in the bar with nice food. The owners are very friendly and helpful.
Our room was in a kind of annex, clean and comfortable. The bed was a little small, but comfortable.
The trains were as noisy as we expected, but next to our room was a water pump that came on loudly every time somebody used a water tap, flushed a toilet or had a shower which was occasionally during the night and then very frequently after 7 am.
The floors were also creaky, and we could hear the people in the next room walking to and from the toilet, opening doors and dropping things.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel building
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2012

A great place to stay. Friendly welcome and a clean comfortable room. Dinner in the restasurant offered a simple and perfectly adequate menu. Nice to stay somewhere at a B&B price with a restaurant and bar on site. Staff were great and were happy to supply a packed lunch when requested.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We stayed here halfway through a long car journey in order to break it up a bit. I chose it randomly after looking at reviews and overall thought it was ok.

Our room was comfortable enough although the bathroom was very small. We ate in the pub downstairs in the evening. The staff were friendly and the food nice, however we did have to wait a long time for our starters (they did have a big wedding anniversary party in though).

We needed to get an early night as had an early start the next morning, however there was a band playing right outside our window until mid-night and as the room was soo hot we had to keep the window open. I appreciate that live music at a pub could be expected & normally we would enjoy it, however I do feel that some warning of this when we booked the room would have been nice as we didn't get much sleep before we had to be up.

Breakfast in the morning was lovely, especially the wild boar sausage.

Overall, this b&b is ok but I can't say there was much about it that would make me really want to go back. I would probably stay elsewhere on this journey next time.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristina B
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed on a Saturday night, good beers, decent food, friendly staff and locals. Small lounge has live music Saturday nights and the place is full with 20 people and the band but lively fun if that's your thing. Comfortable room at reasonable rate and excellent fresh cooked breakfast.

Room Tip: Choose a night without the music if you want an early night
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LargelyMonk
Reviewed 10 May 2012

This is a hotel that isn't pretending to be something it isn't. It hasn't gone for the trappings of a 'boutique style' but is just good, honest and friendly. My room was bright, clean and had everything I needed for my one night stay. Due to my timings, I found I was in the dining room eating alone, but I wasn't lonely as everyone was so friendly. I had a velux window over my bed and as it rained heavily during the night - it was very relaxing to listen to, and see, the rain. The train line is adjacent to the Inn - but although it is very audible, it didn't disturb and I slept better than I have done in weeks. The 'proper' full English breakfast was excellent - and the large wild boar sausage is a taste experience not to be missed (I couldn't eat all mine at breakfast so I took it away with me and ate it in the car on the way home).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Been to The Railway Inn? Share your experiences!