“Friendly hotel but noisy trains”
Review of The Railway Inn

The Railway Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Culham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Hotel owner was lovely and very friendly. Room was clean and bathroom was nice. Beds were very hard, Ceilings sloping in bedroom and bathroom so you had to be careful not to bang your head. Not much room to move round bed and stairs were very steep up 2 flights. The trains were worse than I thought they would be, the noise didnt bother me as I live on a main road and am used to noise but the whole building shook evey time a train went past which was about every 10 minutes. For this reason I thought he price was a little on the high side.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Two weary walkers (following the Thames Path) were made very welcome by everyone. A warm comfortable room, nice food, excellent beer.
The live band and the trains (clue is in the name!) failed to disturb us.
I was even offered a vegetarian breakfast - so an extra point for that.
Dog friendly too!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I stayed for one night as it had good ratings on Hotel.com and on Tripadvisor. My room was about 20 yd from a high speed train line, trains ran every 10 min or so. They stopped about 1am and started again about 5am, so I did not get much sleep. They adverts promised full internet, but I couldn't get it in my room ( too much steel in that part of the building I was told). I did get internet OK down in the bar. Breakfast was good, just a shame about the train noise.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room away from the trains.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Just returned from a short holiday in England,this time with two of the children,as in the past we stayed with Pauline and Roy at the Railway, and as usual it was wonderful, nothing is to much trouble for this lovely couple,the food is superb,and so is the cider, the kids (25 and 27) loved it,when we pulled into the carpark after a very long trip from Holland, my wife Lobke said home at last, and thats just how it feels, david and lobke

Room Tip: all good We have stayed in all the rooms over the years
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

went to this pub for sunday lunch as recommended by a friend of my wifes, it was about 2.30 and only about 7 or 8 people in eating food which was strange for a pub thats " so good" there was 3 of us and we sat at a table and the waitress asked us what we wanted, two of us went for roast lamb and one for lamb shank,after about 3 minutes the waitress came back to tell us there was no roast lamb so we asked if there were 3 lamb shanks which we were informed there was so we waited for those to arrive, after about 5 minutes the waitress returned to tell us that there were no lamb shanks in the freezer so once again we had to choose something else, we chose the roast beef and after about 10 minutes it arrived, plenty of beef which was so tender it just fell to pieces but the veg's were a bit on the tough side but it was quite a good plate of food,but all in all the main grumble i have is the the old man behind the bar who kept calling me "mate" which i really hate because i am their customer and feel i should be called sir i know that sounds snobbish but i feel right is right, i'm no mate of his and he's no mate of mine, his final words were see you again mate, no i don't think so.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 3 days, from 4th August to 7th August. We had a delightful stay here. The hosts and regulars were welcoming, the room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast lovely. The Guinness was good and I had the black cherry Bulmers which was really nice. Situated right next to the station was great, it was only a 10 minute journey into Oxford. Plenty to do, we went on the open top bus trip and had a trip on the river. The trains aren't very regular but as long as you know the times, its not a problem as they are very reliable. The noise from the trains was minimal, in fact you tended to forget you were next to the line.
Lovely time, thank you, from Helen and Tony.

Room Tip: The only thing to note as far as we are concerned is that the beds although very comfortable were on...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Coming down the Thames path we were gagging for a good pint and were not disappointed. Had a great mixed grill and a few pints from the hand-pump. all of which were great, and then the next morning the best breakfast of the whole trip.
Would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Been to The Railway Inn? Share your experiences!