“Beautiful Place for a wedding”

Woodland Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clapham
“Beautiful Place for a wedding”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Was here for a wedding in May, we had the run of the hotel and I'd be hard pressed to think of a way it could have been better. We had the usual quirks of any memorable hotel stay (light burned out in the bathroom, closet with plumbing running through it). But it's a lovely, quaint, old hotel, clean and bright and well maintained. The staff were charming and helpful and I thought (from my opinion as a guest) that the wedding organizing (switching rooms, handling guests in the bar, refreshments) went flawlessly. Food was delicious. Short walk to pubs a convenience store and restaurants, scenic country side if you should feel like a wander, and it was about a £5 cab ride from the Bedford train station. I think it would be a great spot for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Axiom360

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed last night with some friends and had rooms 37 and 38. The lady at Reception (Laura) was very nice and pleasant and ensured that we checked in fine. We found our rooms and then went to dinner.

Dinner was really nice and the service was good. We had a nice time. However the rooms were not that great. One room had a bath with shower and one just a shower. The beds were firm but the pillows were very flat indeed. One of the basin had a plug which did not work properly. There is virtually no sound proofing between the walls either.

Breakfast in the morning was good, and again the staff were excellent.

I think its easiest to sum up by saying that the service and food were very good, but the standard of the rooms was not great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank geoff1963
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I booked afternoon tea here for me and my mum for her birthday as the location looked lovely from photos on the website of the hotel and afternoon tea. I had deliberately not eaten all day as all my previous experiences of afternoon tea have meant taking home a doggie bag!!

We arrived at the hotel and told to sit in the reception where we were left for 15 minutes before anyone came to ask us if we were ok, which we then told them we were here for afternoon tea.Which seemed to confuse them and about 5 minutes later we were taken through to a small room by ourselve next to the main dinning room were other people were already having tea. The table wasn't laid so had to wait for this to be done.

We were then brought our sandwiches and cake ( I use this loosely as it consisted of 7 pieces no bigger than a 10p for us to share) which were very dry and tasteless and needed to be swiftly followed by some tea! The sandwiches were limited. see photo

The young waiters we couldn't fault they were very nice and came round to offer us more tea and checked we were ok, which helped with our disappointment from the rest of the experience.

After we were most disappointed as I had booked this as a special treat and is the worst afternoon tea experience I have had.

We politely spoke to the manager and explained how we were disappointed with the afternoon as it was a special occasion, they seemed really disinterested in our view and was more concerned with us leaving!!

Overall the hotel is a lovely setting but the food and management ruined the experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Heather M
Hullbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We had a 2 night break with four friends and we all felt that we had excellent value for money, under an offer that we had purchased. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and the restaurant was a pleasure to eat in. We had two very enjoyable evening meals in the restaurant and the food and service were excellent.

The hotel is ideally situated and in a lovely setting. A very impressive staircase and stained glass window greets you as you walk in to the hotel. The bedrooms and bathrooms are adequate but in need of an update. However ours were all clean and comfortable, despite what we have read on other reviews.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
London UK
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I took my disabled son away for a short break as he was distressed about the recent death of a family friend. The hotel was ideally placed for exploring Bedford, Uppingham and Rutland, which slotted in nicely with my machine knitting hobby! The room we were allocated was superb. It had a sleeping area, a proper sitting area with a really comfy sofa and tv, and a decent sized bathroom en suite.
We decided to use the hotel restaurant, and it was a real treat. I had the most beautiful fish and salsa meal. The flavours were fantastic and just exploded on the palate. My appetite is usually small, but I could have quite happily eaten a double portion out of pure greed! My son enjoyed his lamb dish, and we followed the main course with scrummy desserts. I rarely drink alcohol, but as there was no driving involved, I took advantage of the offer of a free bottle of wine with the meal. We chose rose, and it was thoroughly enjoyable.
The Staff were friendly and approachable, and very patient of my son's special needs. All in all we had a pleasant break, and it helped my son to come to terms with his grief and go forward.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed in this hotel last night and, cleaning my teeth this morning, I noticed a very small label next to the tap - "Not Drinking Water". Urgh!

My reactions were:

1. Disbelief
2. Quick sanity check out of the window to confirm that I was still just north of Bedford and not on the outskirts of Bogota
3. Flashback to having drunk a couple of glasses of water from the inconspicuously labelled tap the previous evening
4. Stomach cramps and queasiness - possibly psychological but perhaps not
5. Annoyance - you would not expect this in the UK and the warning should have been much more prominent and bottled water should have been provided.

Mentioned to reception (manned by a manager) on checking out that this was the first time I had ever stayed in a UK hotel with non-potable water. It seems that my shock at this inconvenience, now generally restricted to the 3rd world (and Spain), was equalled by his shock that I should have the temerity to complain about it.

For the record there were one or two other issues:

1. There are probably local hostels with more comfortable beds - and drinking water on tap.
2. The room was grubby, mouldy and stuffy.
3. There may have been hot water but I ran out of patience waiting for it and took a cold shower - taking care not to swallow any more water.
4. The outside temperature was a balmy (for the UK) 21C but the radiator in the bathroom was full on throughout my stay and could not be adjusted.
5. I think they may have a restaurant but apparently the chef hadn't turned up (complications from drinking the water perhaps?) and it was closed. We were restricted to a very basic bar menu with four items. One of these was fish and chips, but unfortunately the fish was off (not clear whether this was through logistic incompetence or ageing)

There was one positive - I only had to endure this place for one night.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Happyinthejungle
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night in April. It's a beautiful hotel and the staff very good. However our room wasn't nice - carpet very dirty; we had a balcony but not allowed to use it; cold tap to sink was a mere trickle; cold tap to bath & shower didn't work at all. Mould in the bathroom could've been treated with a quick spray of HG mould remover but no it was left to spread and so didn't smell too good. Good bed and furniture in keeping with the hotel style. We did speak to front of house manager when we left and followed it up on hotel's own website. Unfortunately no response but I do hope they are giving all rooms a deep clean. Room 29 certainly needed it!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank cocomay
woodlandmanor, Manager at Woodland Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Genuine feedback is very much appreciated so thanks for your comments & I also thank you also for your kind comments re. the staff at the hotel.
I believe the room you stayed in is room 21 as this is the only room in the hotel with a balcony.
As the front of house staff may have informed you, the entire hotel is going through a refurbishment program during the course of 2014 and as of writing 16 rooms have been refurbished with special attention paid to the bathrooms as we are aware of the problems.
It is taking much longer than anticipated to refurbish rooms in the "old manor" part of the hotel as we are encountering many plumbing issues that are time consuming to resolve, but our intention is to do so.
Next time you are looking to book a room in the Bedford area, if you decide to use Woodland Manor again, please make yourself aware to staff by production of your previous invoice for room 21 & I will ensure you are upgraded to one of the premium double room in our extension that have already been refurbished - your comments re. our refurbished rooms would be greatly valued.
Kind Regards
Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clapham
Bedford Swan Hotel
#12 of 18 in Bedford
The Knife & Cleaver
The Knife & Cleaver
#1 of 1 in Houghton Conquest

Been to Woodland Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!