“Beware noise when there is a function on”

Woodland Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clapham
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Beware noise when there is a function on”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Friendly staff and reasonable rooms but a noisy evening due to a function. We had an early start for a sporting event and had not been warned that a wedding reception was taking place and might disturb us. When we checked in, we noticed the wedding party but were told that our room would not be directly affected. During the evening we discovered that we were adjacent to the disco and had to listen to the DJ and his loud music until midnight. We did not get the rest that we had expected in a country hotel before an early start and felt that we should get a partial refund. I was told to write in to complain, which I did. The letter was never answered, so I phoned and talked to a manager who promised to investigate and get back to me at an agreed time. He never did. Not impressed. Do not recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away as possible from the public areas if you want a quiet evening
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The grounds, reception, dining room and bar are all well maintained. I found staff to be friendly and helpful. On a business trip with only a £20 dinner allowance, I had to stick to bar suppers but the food was all freshly cooked and nicely presented. It was possible to get a decent main course, dessert and soft drink within my budget. For the size of the hotel, there was a reasonable range of breakfast choices and the Full English was very good every day. My room (19) was at the back of the building and seemed in need of some renovation. Brighter lighting could have helped and the carpet could have been cleaner but the bed was comfortable enough. Whilst facilities for tea and coffee are provided, a sign says the tap water is not suitable for drinking. The bathroom was poor really with mould in the sealant round the bath and there were several broken floor tiles. The toilet did not flush well and there was a slight smell of stale urine around it. The light above the mirror did not work - I reported it on arrival but nothing was done. Whilst small signs blame the age of the building for problems with the plumbing, I suspect solutions would be available at a cost. If they are not willing to pay them, I think they could at least supply bottled drinking water. I can't prove a connection but I did suffer with an upset stomach during my stay.

Room Tip: I can only say with certainty that I wouldn't recommend room 19 and it seemed the main view from...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Was here for a wedding in May, we had the run of the hotel and I'd be hard pressed to think of a way it could have been better. We had the usual quirks of any memorable hotel stay (light burned out in the bathroom, closet with plumbing running through it). But it's a lovely, quaint, old hotel, clean and bright and well maintained. The staff were charming and helpful and I thought (from my opinion as a guest) that the wedding organizing (switching rooms, handling guests in the bar, refreshments) went flawlessly. Food was delicious. Short walk to pubs a convenience store and restaurants, scenic country side if you should feel like a wander, and it was about a £5 cab ride from the Bedford train station. I think it would be a great spot for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Axiom360
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed last night with some friends and had rooms 37 and 38. The lady at Reception (Laura) was very nice and pleasant and ensured that we checked in fine. We found our rooms and then went to dinner.

Dinner was really nice and the service was good. We had a nice time. However the rooms were not that great. One room had a bath with shower and one just a shower. The beds were firm but the pillows were very flat indeed. One of the basin had a plug which did not work properly. There is virtually no sound proofing between the walls either.

Breakfast in the morning was good, and again the staff were excellent.

I think its easiest to sum up by saying that the service and food were very good, but the standard of the rooms was not great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank geoff1963
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I booked afternoon tea here for me and my mum for her birthday as the location looked lovely from photos on the website of the hotel and afternoon tea. I had deliberately not eaten all day as all my previous experiences of afternoon tea have meant taking home a doggie bag!!

We arrived at the hotel and told to sit in the reception where we were left for 15 minutes before anyone came to ask us if we were ok, which we then told them we were here for afternoon tea.Which seemed to confuse them and about 5 minutes later we were taken through to a small room by ourselve next to the main dinning room were other people were already having tea. The table wasn't laid so had to wait for this to be done.

We were then brought our sandwiches and cake ( I use this loosely as it consisted of 7 pieces no bigger than a 10p for us to share) which were very dry and tasteless and needed to be swiftly followed by some tea! The sandwiches were limited. see photo

The young waiters we couldn't fault they were very nice and came round to offer us more tea and checked we were ok, which helped with our disappointment from the rest of the experience.

After we were most disappointed as I had booked this as a special treat and is the worst afternoon tea experience I have had.

We politely spoke to the manager and explained how we were disappointed with the afternoon as it was a special occasion, they seemed really disinterested in our view and was more concerned with us leaving!!

Overall the hotel is a lovely setting but the food and management ruined the experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Heather M
Hullbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We had a 2 night break with four friends and we all felt that we had excellent value for money, under an offer that we had purchased. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and the restaurant was a pleasure to eat in. We had two very enjoyable evening meals in the restaurant and the food and service were excellent.

The hotel is ideally situated and in a lovely setting. A very impressive staircase and stained glass window greets you as you walk in to the hotel. The bedrooms and bathrooms are adequate but in need of an update. However ours were all clean and comfortable, despite what we have read on other reviews.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
London UK
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I took my disabled son away for a short break as he was distressed about the recent death of a family friend. The hotel was ideally placed for exploring Bedford, Uppingham and Rutland, which slotted in nicely with my machine knitting hobby! The room we were allocated was superb. It had a sleeping area, a proper sitting area with a really comfy sofa and tv, and a decent sized bathroom en suite.
We decided to use the hotel restaurant, and it was a real treat. I had the most beautiful fish and salsa meal. The flavours were fantastic and just exploded on the palate. My appetite is usually small, but I could have quite happily eaten a double portion out of pure greed! My son enjoyed his lamb dish, and we followed the main course with scrummy desserts. I rarely drink alcohol, but as there was no driving involved, I took advantage of the offer of a free bottle of wine with the meal. We chose rose, and it was thoroughly enjoyable.
The Staff were friendly and approachable, and very patient of my son's special needs. All in all we had a pleasant break, and it helped my son to come to terms with his grief and go forward.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clapham
The Sharnbrook Hotel
#13 of 18 in Bedford
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
#1 of 2 in Wyboston

Been to Woodland Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!