I have just spent 2 nights at this hotel with a friend and although the hotel and grounds looked lovely and the staff all seemed very friendly and helpful, unfortunately the rooms didn't live up to expectations.
We had a room, one of 3, in the small cottage in the grounds, and the carpet was looked well worn and had a stain on it. The sockets all looked rather dodgy, some with bits of paint/plaster stuck to them and the wall next to the bathroom looked as if it had some damp at the bottom. The twin beds were rather on the small side, with old fashioned headboards, and my friend's bed creaked like mad. As for the bathroom, well, if you like brown and caramel then great but it had a subterranean look to it as there were only 2 small windows which didn't let in much light. The plug in the washbasin seemed rusty and on our second night got jammed so we reported that before we left and hopefully it has now been sorted. There was both a bath and a shower cubicle but despite it being quite a large bathroom there was very little room in the shower. We were only 2 average sized ladies but how any men would cope in it I can't imagine. Mind you, not much room was needed for the water as it only trickled out of the shower. There was also mould around the shower tray sealant.
We didn't eat an evening meal in the restaurant so can't comment on that but the bar snacks were quite good. The lady serving in the bar was lovely and gave us plenty of information on places to visit nearby. However, we booked this hotel with an offer for 2 nights which included afternoon tea but when my friend phoned to book the tea for the day we were arriving, a Monday, we were told that it wasn't served on Mondays and Tuesdays. We had not been told this when making the hotel booking. In fact, my friend had been told that we could choose either day to have the tea. After a bit of fuss they did say we could have it but we felt that it either it shouldn't have been included in the offer or they should have been prepared to make afternoon tea for anyone taking up the offer no matter which day of the week.
Overall, I think a general overhaul of the rooms is probably needed. A bit of money spent now could probably reap dividends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Country manor house situated in 3 acres of gardens, 2 miles north of Bedford town centre & train station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Woodland Manor Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Woodlands Manor Bedford
- Woodlands Manor Hotel Bedford
- Woodland Manor Hotel Clapham, Bedfordshire