“Nice hotel and staff, shame about the rooms”

Woodland Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clapham
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have just spent 2 nights at this hotel with a friend and although the hotel and grounds looked lovely and the staff all seemed very friendly and helpful, unfortunately the rooms didn't live up to expectations.

We had a room, one of 3, in the small cottage in the grounds, and the carpet was looked well worn and had a stain on it. The sockets all looked rather dodgy, some with bits of paint/plaster stuck to them and the wall next to the bathroom looked as if it had some damp at the bottom. The twin beds were rather on the small side, with old fashioned headboards, and my friend's bed creaked like mad. As for the bathroom, well, if you like brown and caramel then great but it had a subterranean look to it as there were only 2 small windows which didn't let in much light. The plug in the washbasin seemed rusty and on our second night got jammed so we reported that before we left and hopefully it has now been sorted. There was both a bath and a shower cubicle but despite it being quite a large bathroom there was very little room in the shower. We were only 2 average sized ladies but how any men would cope in it I can't imagine. Mind you, not much room was needed for the water as it only trickled out of the shower. There was also mould around the shower tray sealant.

We didn't eat an evening meal in the restaurant so can't comment on that but the bar snacks were quite good. The lady serving in the bar was lovely and gave us plenty of information on places to visit nearby. However, we booked this hotel with an offer for 2 nights which included afternoon tea but when my friend phoned to book the tea for the day we were arriving, a Monday, we were told that it wasn't served on Mondays and Tuesdays. We had not been told this when making the hotel booking. In fact, my friend had been told that we could choose either day to have the tea. After a bit of fuss they did say we could have it but we felt that it either it shouldn't have been included in the offer or they should have been prepared to make afternoon tea for anyone taking up the offer no matter which day of the week.

Overall, I think a general overhaul of the rooms is probably needed. A bit of money spent now could probably reap dividends.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Lesley M

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. Very nice room, clean, and quite big. Had dinner at the hotel which was good (only negative was that the dessert of citrus tart was quite small). The breakfast was quite good - we had continental but there was only toast (which was soggy), no croissants or any other type of bread. Staff were helpful. All in all, we enjoyed our stay. A rating of 4 stars is about right in my opinion.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CHRIS P
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Received a voucher from a work colleague to have afternoon tea here so cant tell you anything about rooms but if you fancy afternoon tea i would highly recommend it we was a bit early so sat and had a chat and looked at the grounds and were given a choice of drinks around ten mins after we were shown to are table where there was a large plate of finger sandwiches scones and cakes all was so lovely and fresh service was very friendly to highly recommend this hotel......

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank candyNorthampton
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights and the staff could not have been more helpful. The rooms were all spacious but the decoration and plumbing was a bit tired and worn although the beds were still comfy. Our room seemed to be over the kitchen so it was a bit smelly. It is such a shame as it is a beautiful hotel set in lovely grounds.

Room Tip: Room 15 seemed to be over the kitchen so not ideal as a smells wafted through to the room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jellyt0t
Reviewed 2 August 2014

In short, a beautiful Hotel, location, exceptional grounds and staff who couldn't do enough for you!

The Manager, Vimal and his very capable staff went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect not only for ourselves but for every one of our guests

Our wedding day was perfect. Eight weeks later, friends are still bringing it up in conversation and our wedding day would not have been that special without such a beautiful venue, attentive staff and delicious food

All of our guests have also complimented the quality of the service and commented on how friendly and helpful all of the staff were. The Afternoon Cream Tea was excellent, several saying it's the best they've had. I must say the whole day felt completely stress free and relaxed. We had the exclusive deal and hired the whole Hotel for 24 hours, this meant once our guests arrived at 11 am they could start to relax and enjoy themselves until 11 am the next day, it was fabulous and we would highly recommend this Hotel.

Lorraine & Ray Smith

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Friendly staff and reasonable rooms but a noisy evening due to a function. We had an early start for a sporting event and had not been warned that a wedding reception was taking place and might disturb us. When we checked in, we noticed the wedding party but were told that our room would not be directly affected. During the evening we discovered that we were adjacent to the disco and had to listen to the DJ and his loud music until midnight. We did not get the rest that we had expected in a country hotel before an early start and felt that we should get a partial refund. I was told to write in to complain, which I did. The letter was never answered, so I phoned and talked to a manager who promised to investigate and get back to me at an agreed time. He never did. Not impressed. Do not recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away as possible from the public areas if you want a quiet evening
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The grounds, reception, dining room and bar are all well maintained. I found staff to be friendly and helpful. On a business trip with only a £20 dinner allowance, I had to stick to bar suppers but the food was all freshly cooked and nicely presented. It was possible to get a decent main course, dessert and soft drink within my budget. For the size of the hotel, there was a reasonable range of breakfast choices and the Full English was very good every day. My room (19) was at the back of the building and seemed in need of some renovation. Brighter lighting could have helped and the carpet could have been cleaner but the bed was comfortable enough. Whilst facilities for tea and coffee are provided, a sign says the tap water is not suitable for drinking. The bathroom was poor really with mould in the sealant round the bath and there were several broken floor tiles. The toilet did not flush well and there was a slight smell of stale urine around it. The light above the mirror did not work - I reported it on arrival but nothing was done. Whilst small signs blame the age of the building for problems with the plumbing, I suspect solutions would be available at a cost. If they are not willing to pay them, I think they could at least supply bottled drinking water. I can't prove a connection but I did suffer with an upset stomach during my stay.

Room Tip: I can only say with certainty that I wouldn't recommend room 19 and it seemed the main view from...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clapham
Bedford Swan Hotel
#12 of 18 in Bedford
d'Parys Hotel
d'Parys Hotel
#13 of 18 in Bedford

Been to Woodland Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!