“Needs a few tweaks”
Review of White Horse - CLOSED

White Horse
Price range: US$27 - US$40
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The White Horse is a beautifully restored former Georgian farmhouse in Hurst Green. The place breathes character. Both its bars have a London gentleman's club feel, with their open fire, original flooring and fine oil paintings. An elegant dining room leads to a charming terrace with amazing views across the Sussex weald. On the menu are gastropub-style Modern British dishes such as roasted quail wrapped in pancetta and stuffed with duck liver mousse, with fondant potato, green cabbage and black grape sauce, ��15.50. Lunch ranges from homemade soup and bread of the day, ��5, to chargrilled rib eye steak, sauteed green beans, frites and blue cheese sauce, ��16. Herbs, salads and seasonal vegetables have often come direct from the kitchen garden. Desserts are pretty perfect.
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Visited today and had the ploughmans. Service was good but the ploughmans could have been better, this could be improved with some brown pickle and a pickled onion on the plate to go with the cheese, as there is a lot of cheese and nothing to go with it. This is only constructive criticism and not a slagging off as the pub is lovely and the food is pretty good just needs a couple of tweaks.

2  Thank Mathew G

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We have just had a surreal experience.
I have driven past this pub / restaurant many, many times but, called in for the first time with my partner and two teenage children.
We all ordered the roast chicken.
Dinner took 40 minutes and certainly was not worth the wait.
Processed identical chicken breasts, slivers of parsnips and carrots , a handful of dried out peas....and £10.95 each.
We then waited 15 minutes to get our plates cleared and gave up waiting for our bill.
So, we just stood up and waited ... and waited...
We started sharing our story with another table of diners and the owner said... What is your problem....?
I explained about the wait and how awful the food was.
His response was to start shouting at me, telling me how I was insulting him...
I tried to explain our concerns but, he just shouted over me and said, " get out if my restaurant, the meal is on me and never come back"
Don't worry ... We won't be and nor should anyone else unless of course you like being insulted and shouted at!!

7  Thank Becs512
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Visited with family members and firstly we chose from the bar menu and secondly looking at the others food I think I made the wrong menu choice. The fish cakes or in this case fish cake was decidedly average whilst the burgers and sausage and mash looked better. Chips however all looked and tasted as if they were out of the packet oven chips. Ambience was fine and log fire a nice touch but not sure I would really recommend it.

1  Thank PJRHolbrook
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We were having a late lunch, so accept that some menu items may not be available to us.When we sat down we were advised that roast beef was finished, two pork roast left as well as the main menu. The four of us ordered, two of the orders came back from the kitchen as not available. i asked for clarification as to whether there was ANYTHING else unavailable, I was assured there wasn't. Oh yes. there was. Back came the server, two more items not available. It took 20 minutes to actually get our main course meal in, then once we had finished our starter, we had almost a 30 minute wait for mains.On a leisurely Sunday ,not a problem, however, it meant a train back to London was missed, therefore we had to "waste" an hour, waiting for the next one. In fairness to the staff we didn't forewarn them, as we thought we had so much time, we weren't rushed in time for the train, just dreadfully delayed by the kitchen service, and the waiting staff not being upto speed on what was still available and what sauces came with the dishes, so having to go back into the kitchen to check what dishes consisted of. Maybe avoided if the menu was more explicit in its description.
Out of the four of us, one meal, the chicken, described as delicious,two, a house burger and a ciabatta sandwich, alright and one, the fishcake,really not very nice, at best tasted as though it had been kept warm too long, at worst, re heated.
Our server , who was very pleasant, did attempt to make amends, by offering a complimentary dessert each,by then we had all lost interest.

1  Thank Maurice C
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Shame this place is in a lovely location, nice decor but seriously lacks warmth in more way than one., cold with only surrounding sound from the wind and rain, no music no atmosphere (oh ... And a manager/ staff meeting 2 tables away) No one else there... asked on arrival if we were using a groupon offer, which didn t make us feel as if we were getting a deal....this particular menu lacks imagination and choices: cheese board most basic, 3 bland cheap cheeses @ £7.50) small portions ... however chutney was delicious! basically... the whole idea of offering a Groupon deal would suggest introducing /encouraging new customers but I m afraid to say this one experience had the total opposite effect... not impressed with service charge either ..rather em areas send to have bought two of these groupon deals, one for ourselves and ones s a gift

1  Thank Cancale35