“American Diner style”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We popped in late one afternoon for a coffee and milkshake for the children. The owner is trying to create the feel of an American diner and the furnishings etc do just that. We were told that they will be putting on special performances etc and we shall look out for these. It has a lot of potential and makes a real change from pubs and tearooms.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

So soon after opening and after a few visits it has reached decidedly mediocre after my more favourable reviews., The A21 still calls out for a good cafe. The staff have changed. The excellent macaroni cheese was really cool in the middle and the recipe has changed. We had to ask for bread, previously supplied without asking. Everyone seems busy talking to each other so a little more concentration on delivering the excellence of before is needed.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

This diner openned recently and so we felt we would give it a go for breakfast. However it does not open until 9am. Anyway, we arrived and there were two waitresses working. One was chatting with her friend and the other was behind the counter. No greeting. The first booth we went to was still dirty. When we sat down one waitress came over, no idea what her name was, so unlike a real American diner. And then there was the Juke Box, or not. There was music playing, but it was 80's pop, again not one expects from a diner.

OK, so that's the bad bits over and done with.

The seating and booths are very much American. A lovely turqouise and white. The breakfast itself was huge, massive, amazing. it was an English breakfast but with American proportions.

Maybe we visited on a bad day. Maybe the two waitresses on duty when we called in really didn't want to be there. Or maybe it is just too much to expect an American style diner to have American style hopsitality.

Boycie67, Owner at Car Wash Diner, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

I'm really sorry that you were not entirely happy with your experience. We generally pride ourselves on our customer service, please could you let me know when you were in so we can speak to the staff involved.
I'm glad you enjoyed the food. I hope you will come in again and have a better visit. We play all kinds of music here, maybe come one night when we have live music? If you would like to come for a complementary breakfast at some stage or talk further about this please contact me directly on 07739 564691.
Kind regards
Helen

Reviewed 17 May 2013

Visited on a Friday, sat at a table , greeted immediately ,asked if we needed drinks, we had a chocolate milkshake and a coke , milkshake was lovely. We then ordered 2 big breakfasts , these came along very quickly,food was freshly cooked and delicious . Very reasonable prices ,restaurant was lovely and clean ,toilets spotless and service excellent . My only criticism would be they need a big sign before you get to the restaurant ,because I think a lot of people would not notice this lovely place because it is slightly set back off the road , if you are going along the A21 look out for it , well worth visiting ,we will certainly be going back

Reviewed 16 May 2013 via mobile

Even though it was early on a Monday lunchtime, the place was quite busy. The simple menu, with an easy American style, was great for grown-ups as well as the toddler and baby in our party, for whom they made an off-the-menu beans on toast, without any fuss. My burger with blue cheese and bacon tasted fantastic, served with plenty of fries and fresh salad all washed down with a classic-style bottle of coke.
The decor is 1950's American diner, so was expecting The Fonz or Richie Cunningham to join us, which brought an interesting twist on a quick lunch.
Very clean toilets and the baby's highchair was especially clean, quite unusual these days I find.
I'll definitely find time to visit again soon, this time with my early teen kids.