“Great roadside American themed diner” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Car Wash Diner - CLOSED

Car Wash Diner
Cuisines: American, British, Diner, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
East Sussex
“Great roadside American themed diner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

It is what it's says on the tin so to speak, small but adequate menu, burgers homemade and cooked as you like it. Well worth a visit in place of other fast food outlets. Visited mid Saturday afternoon and although not busy had a steady flow. We were four adults on way to London for night out and would recommend to others especially families as the menu has lots ours would love. Although set back from the road and not the most attractive from the outside, give it a go. Ps. The milkshakes looked fab as did the floats but we were too full to try this time.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lisa B

Benenden, United Kingdom
“Closed early without notice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

I can not provide a proper review as we turned up on a Friday at 1730 to be told they had decided to close early (they advertise 2200 closing time), there were 10 of us including children but they were not interested even though there were people still in the restaurant eating. The children were very upset as this was meant to be a treat for them. I an giving this a bad rating as the staff attitude was very indifferent and I had checked the website earlier that day, there was no notification of early closing.

Visited February 2014
Boycie67, Owner at Car Wash Diner, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
I'm not sure how I missed this review at the time but l do apologise. We had a couple of staff issues around that time and those in question have either gone or been disciplined. We hope you will come again. Please call me directly and I will arrange a discount for you. Kind regards
Helen 07739 564691
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere, food and music”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I've been a few times to the Car Wash Diner and I love it! The friendly team always welcome with a big smile and I love the 1950s themed décor. Great menu with American style comfort food and some childhood classics. Always tempted by their milkshakes as they look amazing but I'm a sucker for a cream soda float to take me back to my childhood. The food is always served with generous portions and my favourites are the pancakes, the full English breakfast (ok, so deviating slightly from the American theme) and the burgers served with a mountain of skinny fries and coleslaw. Friday 21st was a music night with 2 talented, local solo artists followed by a local band. Brilliant music and the diner was packed. I went with my other half but the diner caters really well for kids too during the daytime with some special events like film afternoons and kids parties. Can't wait for the next music night but I'll be in again for brunch before that :-)

• Visited February 2014
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“So wanted it to be fab...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

I'm a fifties fanatic and I was thrilled to discover a 50s style diner not far from home. Aside from the dining furniture there is no other decor or nod to the fifties, it's crying out for some photo art, hot rod parts, 50s memorabilia and a real juke box or at least some 50s music. Menu was limited (run out of burgers) and no ribs or gumbo as per the online menu. Also no mozzarella sticks. Our second choice starters arrived with our mains (one was sent back). No cherry or lemon meringue pie, or cheesecake. Actually it was easier to ask what there was, not wasn't! Don't mind as it does mean food is fresh, although I'm pretty sure my apple pie wasn't home made...also my veggie burger was warm and soggy in the middle so probably frozen and not cooked through properly. Friendly staff who did their best. Will go again but next time must be perfect.

• Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Trying too hard with the concept and not enough on the food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

This diner is so excruciatingly try hard that it was like walking into the mind of a restaurant owner with a really overdone concept. Hidden behind a large carwash, you’d be hard pressed to find it unless you were actively seeking it out, maybe not such a bad thing.

It’s unashamedly gimmicky with its blue leather booths, checkered flooring, pool table and old skool jukebox. The food was equally gimmicky.

We stopped in because we were having a weekend out of London and it happened to be on route. The first notable thing was the fact it was nearly empty. A few booths were taken up with families and children but the remaining seats were cold. Not only the seats: it was warmer outside.

We sat at a booth and ordered the Chicken Burger with Tarragon Mayo (£8.95), Fried Mozzarella Sticks (£6.50) and Pulled Pork Sandwich (£8.50). The burger came with a mountain of skinny chips which is always good, but the chicken itself was bland as anything and I was hard pressed to taste any supposed tarragon in the mayo. The pulled pork was meagre and stuck between two soggy bits of Hovis and the sticks weren’t good. The mozzarella had been fried and allowed to cool so it had re-hardened (the waitress didn't expedite and as she walked back and forth passed it I could feel both the sticks and myself getting more and more tense). The sweet chilli sauce it came with was also clearly out of a jar. I'm saddened to say that an American would undoubtably scoff at all of the above.

Of course I didn’t expect much else but it did leave me feeling that they tried so hard on gimmicking up the place that they forgot about the food. And isn’t that the most important part?

Carwash Diner