“Malta's little treasure”

Ranked #3 of 14 things to do in Ta' Qali
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 17 June 2014

It was lovely to be able to go around the different craft buildings set in old Nissan huts here without feeling like you had to buy something, or feeling that you weren't wanted. Watching some of the craftsmen at work was very interesting even though one of the glass blowers was yawning a lot (however, this is there everyday job day in day out) and they worked well as a team with each one doing their bit, almost like a production line. The shop staff were helpful and friendly and didn't pester you in anyway. If I had a bigger suitcase and luggage allowance I would have bought more.

There are maintained public conveniences for those that need, and although we didn't go round the whole place we didn't notice anywhere to buy food or drink.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"great place to visit"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The site was a wartime camp - the nissen huts now converted to workshops and showrooms. Many crafts conducted there and, in my experience, the artisans are more than happy to discuss their work with you - even if you're not going to buy the shop.

Interesting and well worth a visit.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Shops were old Nissan huts as previously an old RAF camp. Managed to buy a nice Maltese Cross made of filigree silver in a shop called Anthony's. Staff did not badger you and you could browse without stress, Other shops included jewellery, ceramics, stone, glass, tourist tat and woollens. I would say the prices were on par with the tourist areas, but the necklace I bought I only saw in one other jewellers in Malta so I think some styles of jewellery can only be bought here and there is a good choice. Café and toilets on site and the local bus drops you straight outside. Also an aviation museum we did not visit.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I put off going to this attraction as I envisioned dull pottery wheels and terracotta plant pots being made by ageing flower people but I was pleasantly surprised ! The first shop I entered was quite large and was all jewellery . There were four young female assistants who smiled and greeted but left you alone to check out the goods, some nice watches and silver chains ! I then went in the front shop of the pottery and have never seen so much colour it was like an add for Dulox ! I then had a coffee in the café which was just as colourful . The rest of the outlets were all inside old RAF Nissan huts and you could just picture the activity 70 odd years ago during WW2 . A lot of the stuff was similar but I never got bored with it and the prices varied so shop around !! Finished off spending 20 mins watching some glass blowing ! a good leisurely stroll and all for free !!

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Nice to see the very old Nissan huts from the last War being used for such purposes. Lots of local craft work including ceramics and hand made glass. Of course there is the usual plethora of tourist tat one gets everywhere. Nice rustic settings though. Glass blowing was not going on unfortunately which the children had been looking forward to seeing but I guess it being winter time there was not the need to fire up the kilns on a regular basis.

We very much enjoyed the Mediterranean Ceramics Centre where artists could be seen hand painting tables etc prior to firing. Really lovely work and I understand for the second time they have been invited to exhibit at the world famous Chelsea Flower Show in London in May 2014.

The Cafe attached to it though is one to avoid. Terrible food, terrible service. etc. etc. Never before have I had to wait for an eternity to receive a tuna salad roll which when it came had been toasted!!! It was like concrete and after trying to consume some hot lettuce and mayo I gave up. No cutlery was produced, had to be asked for and when the knife arrived it was none too clean. Yuk. No pepper and salt, again had to be requested. Hot chocolate - no it was lukewarm.