“Another Excellent Visit”

The Lord Nelson Inn
The Lord Nelson Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Marshfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at the Lord Nelson and I wasn't disappointed. My bedroom was large, clean and value for money. The food in the pub is excellent and the night I was there, it was lively and buzzing with a lovely log fire blazing. As I was leaving early before the chef arrived to cook breakfast, a continental breakfast was laid out just for me complete with toaster, kettle, coffee in the cafetiere, juice and milk so that I could help myself. A nice touch. I will definitely return when back in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013
There are newer reviews for The Lord Nelson Inn

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Second time we've stayed for the Wurzels weekend.Friendly staff,can't do enough for you,lovely room,clean and comfortable.Evening meal was excellent,also breakfast was just as good.Very friendly people in marshfield.Will be back next year for the Wurzels.:)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend break. Overall, our experience was a good one. The food on both evenings was very good for pub food. We had the fish and chips on the first night which was excellent as were our rump steaks on the Saturday night which were of very good quality and perfectly cooked. There were three real ales on offer and I tried all three and can vouch for the fact they were all well kept and very tasty!

The hosts, Claire and Alistair were both friendly and hospitable. (Indeed, their hospitality made me raise my rating from average to very good.)

So, why not an excellent rating? Well, the room we had wasn't quite up to the same standard as the food in my opinion. Although spotlessly clean and tidy it was quite small and the double bed was a standard size which we found quite small for two people ( and we're not large people - honest!) so we didn't have the best night's sleep.

Our room was an attic room which meant you had to mind your head when you got out of bed as the ceiling sloped down quite sharply (see photo).

The toilet and shower room were a decent size however and the shower was very good.

There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room with plentiful supplies of tea, coffee sugar and milk although it didn't look like much care had been taken over the presentation of these items - they looked like they had just been dumped into a small wicker basket.

The other thing that let the room down were the wire coat hangers in the wardrobe. Just not acceptable when one is paying £75 a night in my view.

Breakfast was of good quality and well cooked although breakfast is served in a back room called The Granary which is at the rear of the pub and not especially attractive or cosy.

The pub does not have a car park but we found street parking readily available nearby.

All in all, I'd recommend the food and drink but think they need to try a little bit harder with the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Friendly, helpful staff. My room was large, clean with the most powerful shower I have ever experienced! Food in the pub was excellent. A very homely atmosphere. Good location only 15 minutes from Bath.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Sunday lunch- Carvery good value although no system for regulating the queue waiiting at the Carvery which blocked our table.Unusually no 'greens' available as a vegetable. Deserts menu offered but after 20 minutes wait and 'asking' the proprietor why the delay- response 'they will be there'- menu arrived. None of our party was prepared to wait any further, particularly having seen two other tables go through the same routine and leaving before menu arrived. Business lost but the place was very busy and noisy in the area we sat. Despite being aware we had not had a desert the proprietor offered no apology for the delay and seemed disinterested.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank gerardWiltshireUK
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Had dropped into here for a lunch on business a couple of months back, and was impressed by the menu, the prices and the quality of food presented and its flavour. Had to be back in the area for business so booked a night, and placed in the Lady Hamilton Suite (!). Nice double with en-suite and quaint, with a decent nights sleep. My host Alistair explained that the whole hotel was being refurbished since he took it over with his business partner earlier this year. Loved it - the whole establishment has a look that is going places, with a fantastic menu choice (unfortunately I arrived after 2100hrs when the chef finishes) but Alistair kept me back a nice chicken salad, which was washed down with a nice Otter Ale and a 10year old Balvenie. Would suggest that this would an excellent facility for families, with eating in the bar, the old stables, or in the rear room (recent garden patio introduced) - it is only 6 miles off the M4 Junction 18 and easily accessed off the A46.
Met a business colleague for breakfast in the morning, which was freshly cooked and endless tea & coffee. You have your own key, so you do not have to walk through the bar to your room. The landlord however is an excellent host and makes you feel most welcome, and knows about customer care; even the village bells are "switched off" at night so as not to disturb your nights sleep. If you are someone who cannot live without their smart phone or tablet, be aware there is no or limited signal in the bar, although it is attained in the bedrooms. Excellent value for money and my only question now is; when can I go back for more of the same?

Room Tip: Only 3 rooms and all will be excellent and are away from the business end of the Inn (last orders at...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Rod P
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I recently stayed at The Lord Nelson for four nights whilst on a training course nearby. My room was spacious and pleasantly decorated with en suite and all mod cons (tea & coffee, TV etc.). There is a seperate entrance for guests to come and go as they wish which I find better than strolling backwards & forward through a pub bar.
I arrived late on my 1st night and was warmly greeted by the Landlord. After a brief tour and bringing in my bags I rejoined him at the bar and had a couple of pints of superbly kept local ales and soaked up the atmosphere.
In the morning for breakfast I passed over the cereals and toast and went straight for the full English. This is served to order and presented very well with no signs of reheating. The bacon in particular was excellent - no wet supermarket rashers! This became my 'usual' and turned up promptly every morning when I came down.
On the second night I ate in the restaurant which convinced me to eat there each night to try as much as possible before I left...
Calves liver & bacon on horseradish mash (the liver cooked pink to my preference as requested)
Fish & chips (a light almost tempura batter, hand cut chips & homemade mushy peas & tartare)
King Prawn Kerala Curry with Lime Rice (never had so many prawns in one dish with a delisios sauce and fragrant rice)

Recently taken over and run by a management couple with drive and confidence The Lord Nelson has all the high qualities and aims of a major chain but without the homogenisation and sterility that can result in a large company.

After 21 years of being a publican myself I feel I can safely assure anyone that this is a great pub & inn!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marshfield
Best Western Compass Inn
Guyers House Hotel
Guyers House Hotel
#1 of 4 in Corsham
Crown Inn at Tolldown

Been to The Lord Nelson Inn? Share your experiences!