“OK for the price”

Taman Bebek Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sayan
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed at Taman Bebek for four days, and I thought it was fine for the price, but I'm not sure if I'd stay there again.

Location: The location was fine, about a 5-10 minute drive from central Ubud, which was fine for me because it's a little bit quieter. The area seemed safe.

Property: It definitely has a little bit older, rustic feel to it. The common areas are a bit dark and dreary, but the views are beautiful, particularly from the smaller infinity pool. There's also an amazing view of the Four Seasons' lotus pond, which is nearby. If you're staying at Taman Bebek, I strongly recommend getting a drink at the Four Seasons' one night just to experience their beautiful property and take some pictures.

Room: I stayed in one of the Bali Aga Suites. The room itself was nicely decorated and a good size, but the location (right by the main entrance) made me feel like I had no privacy. I could hear every word anyone said in the lobby. There was also construction going on next door that was really loud at very odd times, but I'm sure the management of the hotel has no control over that. The room had a lot of windows to let in light, but again, because of the location, I didn't want them open all the time because anyone in the lobby or the next suite would be able to see into my room. Without the windows open, it was kind of dark and dreary. The room did have A/C and a fan, but that didn't keep the critters out. I found a couple of geckos on the floor and walls, one roach-type creature in my bed, and lots of ants constantly walking around on the floor, countertops, in the sink, and swimming in the toilet (who knew they could even do that??), so I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable leaving food out, even for a short period of time.

Food: I had breakfast included in my rate, and it was pretty good. I had the nasi goreng (fried rice) every day with a sunny side up egg on top, and I liked it enough that I didn't try any of the other options. I didn't like the coffee very much (sludgy at the bottom), and the fruit in the fruit bowl was never ripe, so I usually only ate the watermelon.

Service: The service was great. Everyone working there was extremely polite, helpful, and professional.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank nafa2

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Absolutely fantastic week stay in Malay Villa Suite with spectacular hilltop valley views from the balcony down to the river and rice paddy fields. Wonderful relaxing holiday, just what we needed with our 10 month old baby. Stunning infinity pool and gardens, luxury villa (totally safe for babies) and great staff who couldn't have been more friendly and helpful were a credit to the hotel. We just hope u guys are all still there when we come back to stay next time. Anyone who wants to relax and unwind in an outstandingly beautiful setting should stay here...we cannot fault it in any way.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Nyoman P, Director of Sales at Taman Bebek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for your excellent Comment.

Best Regards,

Nyoman
Sales and Marketing Manager

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed 4 nights in the Croissant lodge and thought the experience of having our own lodge in the hills was an absolute treat at a reasonable price!

The lodges have kitchens, fridge, bedroom, porch and a large bathroom, we had a cd player with jazz cds in the corner of the kitchen (nice touch). The bathroom is open to the outdoors, which is neat to observe while just sitting there (wink). We did not have any issues with bugs (regardless there is a bug net on the old brass canopy bed) or anything like that. Neighbourhood roosters, dog and cats stroll by during the day. Pools overlooking rice terraces were amazing for the view and tranquility, we had the pool near our room to ourselves each day to cool off.

Breakfast included. You can order breakfast on your porch at no extra charge!

Drivers outside (at the warung) will take you to town for 40,000 ($4) or book a car at the lobby for 50,000 ($5).

Room Tip: There was construction going on in Sept...ask for a room away from the view of the construction.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mimi_ABroad
Nyoman P, Director of Sales at Taman Bebek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Thank you for your excellent Comment.

Best Regards,

Nyoman
Sales and Marketing Manager

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I could stay a month here, it's so peaceful and rustic. We stayed in the Malay villa and kept extending our stay as it is so relaxing. Great place to catch up on much needed sleep, reading and relaxing. There are 2 nice pools overlooking the valley but it was rather chilly in the pool.
The view is fantastic overlooking the padi fields and the river.
The villa is quite close to the main road though and it would have been perfect if I could hear the river at night rather than the vehicles going down the road. It didn't keep me up at night though which is good. Not sure if this hotel has a recycling program, it will be great if they do.
Some of the wooden blinds need to be repaired especially in the bathroom to ensure total privacy. Probably some repair in the bathroom will be good as well, as the tiles are coming off.
However, even when the hotel was full, you hardly see your neighbors. The hotel has a nice layout and beautiful setting.
Best part - the drinking water is refilled in the room everyday and sufficiently! This hotel provides excellent value and the staff is very laid-back and helpful. They even took noticed that we don't eat honeydew and did not include any honeydew in the fruit salad the next morning. Unexpected great attention to details.
We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simpledreams
Reviewed 23 August 2013

There is nothing uniform about the place. There are modern villas with all the luxuries overlooking the pool or comfortable rambling huts with stunning views over the ayung river. We stayed in "Made villa" ( one of the old and rambly ones) and could not have found a better place to recharge the batteries. The villa was what people came to the 'old' Bali for( apparently Mick Jagger stayed here in the 70's and the vintage shows a bit.). One look at the daybed in the lower level deck area and plans for the afternoon were all put on hold.

It is what it is, though, so you need to be after rustic charm rather than chic luxury. Could be slightly cleaner and better maintained, too so if you are a perfectionist maybe stay somewhere else).

There is reconstruction going on and workmen around. One point to note was a temporary asbestos fence near the eastern villas and restaurant area. I would not want to be within 200 m of it when any sort of building work is taking place. In Australia an army of guys with hazmat suits would turn up to get rid of the bloody stuff and half the district would be sealed off.

A few other safety issues as well. The pool has algae on the steps and it is incredibly slippery. Electrical wiring is pretty iffy and there are some unfenced drops that make staying here with young children a bit challenging. Other pools in the complex are better maintained.

You can't really walk to the river without a guide. There is a gate at the bottom that would keep you on a small patch of mud near the sewerage outflow. Presumably you could pay the gatekeeper the going rate but the whole idea is for you to be accompanied. The way down is also quite steep and slippery, climbing at times. Instead, you can walk 2km up the road to the rafting centre and go down the stairs there, then walk downstream for most of the way which will get you to the nicest bits anyway.

We have only eaten breakfast, which is fair to middling, but when you are looking at one of the nicest views on the planet, who could care less about cold toast ?

Room Tip: Think about the style of accommodation you want and choose accordingly. The best views went with th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank DJB3500
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Had a very pleasant stay last weekend at Taman Bebek.

The east villa was jaw droppingly, beautifully decadent.
Furnished in the style of the colonial by gone era. I felt like stepping back in time.

Surrounding garden was, oh my god, so beautiful.

I must have taken easily 200 pics in 2 days!

Everything I saw, indoor, outdoor , appealed to my senses.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We have spend 6 days in the nicest villa Made of taman bebek.
We all enjoy our great trip ! First of all you have a "private" swimming pool at the feet of your villa.
The hotel is so quiet and Zen. The big swimming pool is wonderfull and a pleasur after a day walking in Ubud.

All peoples working at Taman bebek are really wonderfull particulary the 3 womens preparing the best and tasty breakfast (chiken rice, continental breakfast...)

In 1 month in Bali, we find Ubud the greatest place in the island, not only the Hostel but also the city too. Rice terraces, temples, monkey forest... all in Ubud is real and peacefull.
If you want to bring some gifts buy in Ubud and not at the end of your trip in the really expensive and not interesting area of Kuta !

Thanks to Taman bebek and particulary to the cooking team for this delicious journey !

Room Tip: Villa Made is the best !
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sayan
Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa
Tanah Merah Art Resort
Tanah Merah Art Resort
#92 of 199 in Ubud
The Mansion Resort Hotel & Spa

Been to Taman Bebek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!