“Birding in Puerto Rico”

Gabriel Lugo Birding Tour Guide
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience more natural beauty on just 100 x 35 miles island. To date more than 350 bird species has been recorded in Puerto Rico, including 17 endemics, more than 150 nesting birds, migratory and Caribbean specialties. What enables Puerto Rico to support these big number of species is its natural diversity: rain forests, dry forests, elfin-woods forests, mountains, cliffs, mangroves, wetlands, ponds, salt flats and more. I'm an independent birding tour guide whose only goal is to give you the best of Puerto Rico. This is what I offer you: the enjoyment of your trip, personalized tour. That means when you contact me and tell me the birds you want to see, my rates are just to fulfill that desire.Fully aware, expert: ready to serve you. You'll be taken through the most beautiful natural reserves and best spots I know. Always respecting basic ethical guidelines for bird watching and avoiding the least posible human impact.I'll be happy to make your birding trip, one you can not forget.
Port O'Connor
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Birding in Puerto Rico”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Gabriel Lugo is a great guide for birds in Puerto Rico. He helped us during our last two days in Puerto Rico and as a result we were able to see some birds that we would not have otherwise seen. His knowledge and passion for the birds and for photography helped us get to see and photograph some nice birds. He is customer oritented, a very good communicator and a delight to spend time with. His chief claim to fame for us is the outstanding photo of the Puerto Rican NIghtjar. HIs ability to locate that bird was impressive.

Larry Vaughn

Visited July 2012
3 Thank Larry V

Springfield, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you want to see PR endemics, go with Gabriel Lugo!”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

A friend and I spent 10 days with Gabriel as our birding guide, traveling all over the island. He knew exactly where to find the 17 endemics and we saw them all! He is very knowledgeable, personable and a great ear birder. He also accommodated us with other requests such as kayaking, snorkeling, bio bays, caves, etc.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Sue S
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worth the expense.”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I have hired several bird guides in various tropical destinations, and Gabriel Lugo is the best one I've met to date. I'd give him particularly high marks in his birding skills. He is very talented at finding birds and at helping his clients to see them well. He was clearly interested in providing the best possible experience for us. He was very familiar with ideal locations for each species on our target list, and he planned an efficient, effective itinerary. I have occasionally regretted spending money on guides, and Gabriel's service was definitely worth the expense. He was also an interesting companion to travel around the island with.

We hired Gabriel for two days, as we had seen some endemics already in an earlier part of the trip on our own. We were able to find all but a couple of species on our hit list, essentially due to bad luck rather than Gabriel's skill. If time had allowed, I think a third day might have made a significant difference for that. If you are going to Puerto Rico for the first time and determined to hit all the endemics, then a four-day guided trip probably is going to be the wisest choice.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank ElCachorro
Charlotte, North Carolina
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Puerto Rico Birding with Gabriel Lugo”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I are birders who have traveled around to various locations (Peru, Ecuador, Costa Rica, etc.) for birding experiences. Whenever we travel outside the USA we use local bird guides who know the best spots to bird, know where to find the endemics for that area and can help identify any of the birds we see. Gabriel Lugo was excellent in all those respects plus he added much in the way of explaining about the history, flora, fauna, fruit, climate, people and customs of Puerto Rico which enhanced our experience greatly. In our 4 day/ 3 night package we were able to find all 17 of the endemics and totaled 105 species seen (3 additional heard only). My wife was able to add 44 birds to her life list. An added plus was that during our travels in which Gabriel drove (sure helped on the narrow twisting mountain roads and eliminated getting lost during visits to some remote areas) he took us to restaurants and B&B's that he has scouted out during his trips around the Island. What a treat that was!
We would highly recommend Gabriel as a bird guide.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank IronLenny
Sunnyvale
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great introduction to the birds of Puerto Rico”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This was our first birding trip to Puerto Rico. My wife and I hired Gabriel Lugo for two days to introduce us to the birds of the southwestern corner of the island and we had a very productive outing. Gabriel was very professional and we birded at a very comfortable pace finding/photographing all the endemics found in that section of the island. I keep a photography life list and Gabriel catered to my individual needs. Gabriel like many expert birders can recognize the birds by their calls and knows the best locations to find the endemics/caribean specialties. He speaks English and offers reasonable rates. I highly recommend him as a bird guide.

Visited February 2012