“A great birding excursion during a small time frame”

Gabriel Lugo Birding Tour Guide
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience more natural beauty on just 100 x 35 miles island. To date more than 350 bird species has been recorded in Puerto Rico, including 17 endemics, more than 150 nesting birds, migratory and Caribbean specialties. What enables Puerto Rico to support these big number of species is its natural diversity: rain forests, dry forests, elfin-woods forests, mountains, cliffs, mangroves, wetlands, ponds, salt flats and more. I'm an independent birding tour guide whose only goal is to give you the best of Puerto Rico. This is what I offer you: the enjoyment of your trip, personalized tour. That means when you contact me and tell me the birds you want to see, my rates are just to fulfill that desire.Fully aware, expert: ready to serve you. You'll be taken through the most beautiful natural reserves and best spots I know. Always respecting basic ethical guidelines for bird watching and avoiding the least posible human impact.I'll be happy to make your birding trip, one you can not forget.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

An afternoon, to be exact. We were on a cruise and wanted to spend our time on the island spotting some new species. Due to our time constraint, we hired Gabriel. He met us outside the cruise ship terminal and drove us around the island to help us spot some new birds. Gabriel was a professional- courteous, a good driver, and clearly understood our time constraint. We were fortunate that the birds were cooperative that day as well! We had emailed Gabriel a list of birds that we hoped to see, which helped him plan the day accordingly. Gabriel's fee was reasonable, and we experienced a safe and enjoyable visit. I own a nature shop and I am also a travel agent. I would (and do) recommend Gabriel for even a half a day.

3  Thank BirdieMe

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Four of us booked with Gabriel Lugo for 5 days birding in Puerto Rico. We were NOT disappointed -- Gabriel gave us 5 great days, locating all the endemics and a total of 110 seen and 2 heard. Not bad considering most of our North American migrants had already left. Gabriel had a perfect vehicle, reserved great overnight accomodations and took us to interesting places to eat. Gabriel tailored the trip to the needs of the group (slow enough for the 85 year old with us) but efficient enough to get us an impressive list. Personable, efficient, safe driver, knowledgable. Book Gabriel Lugo well in advance because he will increasingly be in demand.

2  Thank eshellybell
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Gabriel Lugo is an amazing birding guide who kept us busy for the entire journey from North to South and East to West and points in between. He is a very patient and attentive guide and was proud and eager to show us as many new birds as possible. We saw 16 of the 17 endemics and 110 bird species in all. We got to see an American Flamingo on one of our many stops. Also seeing the male Puerto Rican Screech Owl and his mate making new little screech owls was amazing, a first for Gabriel as well. We enjoyed our hideaway respite at TJ Ranch high in the mountains of P.R. and were treated to delicious dinners each night equal to any fine restaurant in the city. All in all, it was a wonderful experience for both Stephen, a novice bird watcher and myself, Terry, who has been enjoying birds for nearly 44 years. Highly recommend!

1  Thank Terryjphillips
Reviewed 18 January 2014

My wife and I spent three days with Gabriel and had a great time! We saw or head 99 species, including all of the Puerto Rican endemics. He was very efficient at locating the endemics and several other rare birds, including two American White Pelicans. Also, he helped find some birds that I have been trying to see in the West Indies for quite awhile.

He made all of the hotel arraignments and knew were we could get good local food. Great guide and would use him again.

1  Thank jungbird
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I can confidently say that Gabriel is the best birder on the whole island of Puerto Rico. His skills and expertise are superior. I did his pre-made itinerary for 4-5 days targeting all the endemics and Caribbean specialties of the island. Well, not only did we see all 17 endemics, we saw almost every Caribbean specialty as well. I've birded Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago extensively before, but still walked away with 38 life birds. Gabriel can recognize even vague chip notes of the residential and migratory birds and pinpoints their position with great accuracy. His eagle eyes can spot even distant eye-shines of a hidden Puerto Rican Nightjar in the trees. If I were alone I wouldn't have seen a fraction of the birds we saw together. And I am a pretty good birder who has birded 6 continents and nearing 2,000 on my list. We both even got one of the most thrilling lifers I could image- Black Rail! Very exciting for me since I have tried for this bird for years and years with no success. Gabriel picks great places to stay. Try to stay as many nights as possible at TJ Ranch. It was incredible, with incredible food. And Puerto Rican Screech Owls on the grounds. :) If you think he is expensive, it is for a reason. He is a world-class birder that is seriously determined to get you every bird on your list. He is nice and good company too.

2  Thank Skysurfer28