“Lovely room and excellent food made for a great night away!”
Review of The Black Swan

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oldstead
The Black Swan
Ranked #1 of 1 Oldstead B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely room and excellent food made for a great night away!”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed here as a special treat, going somewhere so expensive is not something we usually do. However we were both impressed by the food and the room. My husband kept saying how it was the best meal he has ever eaten and I have to agree it was pretty good. The staff were also friendly. Only downside were very firm pillows which I know sounds a bit petty but I am nit picking. It was also great value on a late deal. Would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed January 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Great place, but a little pricey as we spent almost £500 for one night with tasting menu for 2 with the wine selection (also came with half bottle of bubbly in the room).

We stayed in the room closest to the main building. The room had everything you could want out of a 5 star hotel, even little things hidden to surprise you when you were noseying around. My only complaint about the room is the heating was a little hit and miss. We did stay 27th December, so it was pretty cold outside - and it is a cottage, however at times the room felt a little chilly.I wasn't uncomfortable in the room, but I'd rather it just be right for the price I paid. To make up for it, they do provide an extra electric heater which we used. I wasn't cold during the night though, as there were plenty of cover on the bed and the bed was very comfortable (4 poster). On the plus side, the bathroom had a heated floor, and large roll top bath... very nice.

I chose this place for the food, not the room and the food was superb. We both had the tasting menu with the wine selection. All of the food was fabulous, the wines were nice too - I don't particularly know a lot about wines, however the staff talked us through every course and wine.

I don't generally stay in 5 star hotels so I don't have much comparison, however I do eat at Michelin star restaurants a few times a year. The food is up there, but a little pricier than I've paid in nicer places in London.

I would definitely recommend this place. You won't be disappointed.

2 Thank David C
Surrey
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We had a really marvellous stay at the Black Swan. Well worth the tricky drive as everyone was most welcoming. The rooms are gorgeous and our tasting menu dinner was superb. Their Michelin Star is well deserved and we would recommend this jewel to everyone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed with my wife for 1 night and can honestly say this was the best place we have ever been to. From the moment we arrived the staff were extremely helpful and attentive. The pub has a lovely atmosphere and as it was cold and windy outside we could not think of anywhere better to be. The rooms which are in a small separate annex are fantastic, warm and cozy and spotlessly clean.
We opted for the a la carte menu and we both had langoustine starter, fillet of beef main and black forest gateau for desert, it sounds pretty standard but it was anything but. The portion sizes were excellent and the presentation and taste were second to none...and the same goes for breakfast also.
We will definitely be returning.
One minor minor downside is that the wi fi didn't work but hey you can't have everything!
All in all FABULOUS

Tadcaster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We've visited before for a special occasion. This time we took advantage of a late booking offer to treat ourselves. On both visits we stayed in the same room, which is very comfortable indeed. The tasting menu lived up to expectations, every morsel delicious. The wine list is extensive and we asked some questions to benefit from expert advice. We enjoyed our choice. The service and hospitality were welcoming, warm and yet unobtrusive. We really enjoyed our stay

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

This is our third visit, we come every year for our birthday, and it's been faultless on every visit!
We always get the tasting menu and the four poster room with the copper bath - big enough for 2! The breakfast is super, I'm always surprised I can eat it after the night before.
We'll be back again next year.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

With gift vouchers burning a hole in our pocket we finally managed to get around to booking a night away at The Black Swan and actually think waiting was a good idea. As it was cold and dark outside the cosy bar, rooms and restaurant had a fabulous atmosphere, a pint of Black Sheep sat next to the real fire was the start of a great night. Had a choice of great gins with Fentimans Tonic pre-dinner. Three great courses, with excellent Veggie options for me (almost unique for me to get choice when in a quality restaurant!). Ending with sloe port and coffee - terrific.

Room Tip: If you can book last minute and be flexible on date, check out their website for special offers.