“Just Fab!”
Review of The Black Swan

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oldstead
The Black Swan
Ranked #1 of 1 Oldstead B&B and Inns
“Just Fab!”
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed as a treat on Sunday night and the whole experience from when we arrived until when we left was exceptional. Our room was really cosy and warm, with a beautiful bathroom that had underfloor heating, the attention to detail was great, homemade cake & biscuits, Molten Brown toiletries.
The service was very good, with a nice relaxed feel. We both ate from the a la carte menu, I had smoked scallop and Venison, which were amazing, the wine was excellent and reasonably priced.
Can't wait to go again!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Not sure what I expected given the Michelin star didn't know if the portions would be adequate. We decided on our first visit to go for a starter, main and desert waw from the starter to the fillet steak main all was sublime one of the best meals I have eaten, service was unobtrusive but on hand whenever needed the detail and descriptions to the ingredients very impressive by our server.

The building is old rustic charm with a real warmth from all the staff.

Cant wait to return and stay in one of the suites.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Huddersfield
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Food - every mouthful is amazing.
Service - friendly, unobtrusive, relaxed, perfectly pitched - you feel really well looked after without it feeling patronising or fake.
Rooms are also lovely (but this is a restaurant review).
I came with my husband, and we ate from the a la carte menu, having tried the taster menu in the past and not feeling quite up to it this time!
Every course, from the onion soup amuse bouche through to the fabulous cheeseboard, was stunning.
I ate duck (the softest duck breast I have ever tasted) followed by hogget, whilst my husband had scallops and venison (I think).
The accompanying wines were our own choices, although of course the staff are knowledgeable and will make recommendations.
I'd love to return with my very well-behaved 11 and 14 year olds, though sadly (in my opinion) children are not allowed - a plus for some, I realise.
Overall, an immaculate experience.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed here as a special treat, going somewhere so expensive is not something we usually do. However we were both impressed by the food and the room. My husband kept saying how it was the best meal he has ever eaten and I have to agree it was pretty good. The staff were also friendly. Only downside were very firm pillows which I know sounds a bit petty but I am nit picking. It was also great value on a late deal. Would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed January 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Great place, but a little pricey as we spent almost £500 for one night with tasting menu for 2 with the wine selection (also came with half bottle of bubbly in the room).

We stayed in the room closest to the main building. The room had everything you could want out of a 5 star hotel, even little things hidden to surprise you when you were noseying around. My only complaint about the room is the heating was a little hit and miss. We did stay 27th December, so it was pretty cold outside - and it is a cottage, however at times the room felt a little chilly.I wasn't uncomfortable in the room, but I'd rather it just be right for the price I paid. To make up for it, they do provide an extra electric heater which we used. I wasn't cold during the night though, as there were plenty of cover on the bed and the bed was very comfortable (4 poster). On the plus side, the bathroom had a heated floor, and large roll top bath... very nice.

I chose this place for the food, not the room and the food was superb. We both had the tasting menu with the wine selection. All of the food was fabulous, the wines were nice too - I don't particularly know a lot about wines, however the staff talked us through every course and wine.

I don't generally stay in 5 star hotels so I don't have much comparison, however I do eat at Michelin star restaurants a few times a year. The food is up there, but a little pricier than I've paid in nicer places in London.

I would definitely recommend this place. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David C
Surrey
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We had a really marvellous stay at the Black Swan. Well worth the tricky drive as everyone was most welcoming. The rooms are gorgeous and our tasting menu dinner was superb. Their Michelin Star is well deserved and we would recommend this jewel to everyone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed with my wife for 1 night and can honestly say this was the best place we have ever been to. From the moment we arrived the staff were extremely helpful and attentive. The pub has a lovely atmosphere and as it was cold and windy outside we could not think of anywhere better to be. The rooms which are in a small separate annex are fantastic, warm and cozy and spotlessly clean.
We opted for the a la carte menu and we both had langoustine starter, fillet of beef main and black forest gateau for desert, it sounds pretty standard but it was anything but. The portion sizes were excellent and the presentation and taste were second to none...and the same goes for breakfast also.
We will definitely be returning.
One minor minor downside is that the wi fi didn't work but hey you can't have everything!
All in all FABULOUS

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldstead
The Black Swan Hotel
#1 of 5 in Thirsk
Forresters Arms
Forresters Arms
#1 of 3 in Kilburn

Been to The Black Swan? Share your experiences!