“There was dried blood on my bed sheets!”

Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Alfragide
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carnaxide
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This hotel, by all accounts, has a lot going for it. It is close to a vibrant shopping and entertainment district. It has relatively easy access to downtown Lisbon and it is not too far from the airport. The building itself is new and has a tasteful modern feel to it. The employees were helpful and made sure to thank me for being an IHG elite member. The rooms were decent and comfortable...no complaints there. What was a problem was the fact that when I pulled back the duvet cover to go to bed, I found dried blood on the sheets. Upon closer inspection, it looked like there was dried blood on the duvet as well! It was around 11:30 at night but I called the front desk and they moved me to a smaller room close by. However, this meant that we had to pack up all of our things in order to move them down the hall. Upon my return to the US, I emailed IHG customer service about this matter and they gave me 3,500 Priority Club points as an apology. However, although I requested that the general manager contact me so i could talk to him about this absolutely unacceptable incident, I haven't heard anything back. So, although the building is new and the employees are relatively friendly, obviously someone isn't doing their job and that in itself ruined this experience for me.

Room Tip: Check your sheets before you go to bed!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kkw83
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Alfragide, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Kkw83,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding housekeeping which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Visiting Lisbon was a great choice. Staying at the Holiday Inn Express Alfragide was not. In short I won’t stay here ever again, or I would recommend it to anyone reading this post. Here are my reasons:

1. Service: Terrible customer service experience! I arrived here after employees at the Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport erroneously checked me in at their hotel (both hotels are owned by the same franchise). They promised to pay for my transportation to the Alfragide hotel and to the airport. Once I arrived to this hotel, the front desk employees told me that “it is not my problem, it is your problem.” I asked for the manager on duty, and guess what? No manager! They allegedly called the manager home, who told me to “give them water.” No apologies, no resolution to my problem. And this was just the beginning.

2. Room: It was clean. Looked like your typical HI room. The hotel was just built a couple of months ago. The only problem: No towels. I called the front desk. They never delivered the towels.

3. Location: Far away from everything. They will tell you it’s close to the airport, but not really. It will cost you at least 20EUR to get there. Also it’s far from downtown.

4. Food: There are no many places to eat in the area. Be prepared.

I sent an email complaining to management, and never heard back. That is how much they care about their guests. This experience really spoiled my trip to Lisbon. Enjoy the city, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GionSalvatore
HIEXPRESS H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Alfragide, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us.
Guest feedback is the best way for us to maintain service levels high and, at times, identify ways in which we can grow and do better.
We highly regret and apologize for the situation described and assure you that this is not at our quality standards.
Thus being, we look forward to welcome you again in our hotel so that we can turn around the experience you had.

With our best regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Arrived really early after an early morning flight (9:30am) and the staff allowed us to check in. The room although not large was comfortable and adequately equipped with flat screen tv and air conditioning. There was a very large shower cubicle in the bathroom, which again wasn't large but was very clean and modern.
The staff were all really helpful, they provided information about the buses and also tried to find a phone charger for us as we'd left ours at home. The breakfast buffet was busy but the food and drinks were plentiful and the tables were cleared and cleaned frequently. A minor issue was that there was only one small toaster but as there were several varieties of bread rolls it wasn't a problem for me.
Checking out was quick and again the staff were really friendly. We stayed at the hotel as we went to the Optimus Alive festival and it was a really good choice. If we decide to go back to the festival I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AV1609
HIEXPRESS-ALFRAGIDE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Alfragide, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you, and a bigger pleasure to see your review about our staff and service.
Feedback from our clients is the best way for us to keep doing the right thing, and to do what we do best, welcome you.
We will keep in mind all the good things you wrote about us, and we all hope we can have the chance to see you again for this year Optimus Alive Festival.

A big and proud thank you.

Best regards,

Reviewed 6 June 2013

It's not downtown, so consider your options before you book. We had a car and a GPS, but had to call in to get the actual address, cause in fact it did not match the one on the voucher of the booking. Although there's a parking facility, you should call in to ask if it's at a charge, cause we left our car right outside the hotel (very safe). There's a bus stop only 10 meters away that takes you downtown in about 10 minutes. The premises are very contemporary, very clean, very pleasing. The rooms are good size tastefully decorated with a flat TV, coffee/tea facility and a very nice and large shower cabin. The breakfast area was spacious and had a good selection for continental breakfast. The staff was very helpful and guided us very effectively in getting a city tour. Overall very happy with our stay and would love to stay there again when we hopefully re-visit Lisbon

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank dudegr

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to make a review about our hotel. It was really a pleasure to welcome you and see that you were very pleased with our service.
Your kind words make us very proud and make us believe that we are in writhe way to exceed our client´s expectations.

We all hope to see you again this year.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

This hotel was chosen by the business travel agent as it was the nearest to our store. We arrived late and it was difficult to find. However, and despite being so hungry with no even room service or a simple sandwich to harvest our hunger, the staff was quick enough to find a fast solution for us at nearly midnight. They checked a restaurant in Lisbon who was still open and book us a taxi to get there on time. At that time of night and after a busy day at work, we appreciated the effort the staff made. We slept like babies. In the following morning, breakfast was pretty simple.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Barbara M

Dear Guest,

Is was a pleasure to welcome you and help you satisfy all your needs.
We are always trying to exceed clients expectations, so we can be in your heart forever, and you can come back again as many time you wish for.

We will keep in mind your words, together with our promise to do it again, every day of our work.

Best regards,

Reviewed 2 April 2013

You know what to expect with Holiday Inn - and this hotel delivers. My single room was upgraded to a double. The bed was good. The room was clean. All fine.
No fridge in room, no safe. No restaurant downstairs. But personal safes behind reception. Staff were excellent.
Its a new hotel, nicely designed lobby. Breakfast ok.
For the price it was very good. A pleasant stay at a chain hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time to make a review on our hotel.
It was a pleasure to welcome you and satisfy your needs. We work every day to improve our clients experience, and feedback like your gives us the opportunity to do it very easily.

We will keep in mind your words.

Thank you very much.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I stay there often. They have a great staff, very nice and the hotel is great in hygiene and comfortable. Breakfast is served cold an with no service, but still quite acceptable. In an industrial / commercial area, but still nice and of many offices around. Would benefit from a small gym or indications where to safely run from a walk distance

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tuga70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carnaxide
Hotel Real Oeiras
Jeronimos 8
#178 of 255 in Lisbon
Novotel Lisboa
#117 of 255 in Lisbon

Been to Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Alfragide? Share your experiences!