“Do not eat here!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Uffculme
Plymouth
“Do not eat here!”
Reviewed 4 December 2009

We stopped off here after a sporting event in Glastonbury, on our way home to Plymouth. When we arrived we stated we were having something to eat to be told there would be a delay in receiving our food as they were preparing turkey's!? It was not busy, about half a dozen people we could see. When our food arrived, it did not look very appetizing. My son had the Italian crockpot, this was over cooked or overheated in the microwave and looked and tasted vile. I had a steak (with a mushroom and brandy sauce which was obviously out of a packet and microwaved). My partner had surf and turf which again was practically inedible. The worst thing was realising that the bottom of the plates were absolutley filthy and greasy. When I complained the waiter said it was because they had not put salt in the dishwasher as they had run out! Do not waste good money by eating here go somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank zimmythekid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Bristol
Reviewed 28 August 2009

My family and I called into Waterloo Cross on the 27th August for a meal to end our holiday - it has to be the worse meal we have had in many many years. All the chips were hard and undercooked, had my daughters scampi been left to cook for just a few seconds more, it could have been classed as cremated. My husband ordered hocks where were all bone and was told he couldn't have mash as they did not have any potatoes. I believe the sauce was the best part of his meal. I ordered a ploughmans and a bowl of chips (which were hard and undercooked as already stated) - the chips arrived with the other 3 main courses but we had to ask for my meal as it had been forgotten. There was no butter for my bread, the ham was just a slice of packet ham and the porkpie was frozen and could not be cut into. My husband placed the pie into the hand of the waitress, explaining what was wrong with it, and this was duly replaced - with a microwaved porkpie that was now warm bordering on hot and with mushy pastry!

I seriously suggest that the chef and kitchen assistants take a trip out to another establishment serving food in order to learn how to cook and present food ordered by their customers. I suggest The Globe at Sampford peverell where we had a meal two nights previously, which was absolutely delicious and worth every penny.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank hottoetapping

Travellers are raving about these Uffculme hotels

Warwickshire
Reviewed 21 August 2009

After staying at many inns around the country I have to say the waterloo cross is one of the worst by a country mile. Customer service, cleanliness and food are all an issue. The food was either burnt or cold when I pointed this out I received no response. The staff were unwelcoming, unhelpful and seemed to have a couldn’t care less attitude. The resturant floor was dirty, the cups and cutlery were sticky and stained. The toilets were dirty, old and run down. On a positive note the accomidation where my family and I stayed was comfertable however, the shower in the bathroom leaked and was covered in lime scale and the cups and cutlery again were unclean. The Warterloo road would benifit from leadership and a shake up of staff including the chef. I mean how difficult is it to toast a piece of bread!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank steve_rambler89
devon
Reviewed 18 January 2009

Myself and my partner stayed at the Waterloo Cross at The beginning of January. We booked through late rooms and managed to secure a brilliant deal for £30 per room, including a full cooked breakfast.
Wht a brilliant stay! clean, well furnished and equipped bedrooms, comfy king sized beds and LED flat screen TV. Ensuite with a lovely hot power shower, and complimentry tray with ovaltine, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, bottled water and biscuits.
Staff couldn't of been more helpful or friendly. They booked us a table for dinner, and as it was a Monday we were able to have a Rump Steak for £4.99.
Deals on different meals are avaliable on different nights.
Breakfast was brilliant, full english breakfast, plus cereals, yogurt, fruit, porridge and coissants.
Cant reccomend the Waterloo highly enough, Ive stayed in many pubs before and the quality is usaually fairing on average. The rooms here are better than many 3/4 star hotels I have stayed in!

Stayed January 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uffculme
Padbrook Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Uffculme
The Fisherman's Cot
The Fisherman's Cot
#1 of 4 in Bickleigh

Been to Waterloo Cross? Share your experiences!