“Professional Moaners!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portinscale
UK
“Professional Moaners!!”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

This is a completely impartial review having returned from Derwentwater Hotel only yesterday.

As a last minute booking (through lastminute.com) we took a punt on this hotel and then instantly regretted it having looked at the reviews on here. However let me describe our stay:

Reception / Check In:
Really quick and polite, offered to take our bags (which we didnt bother with) even offered use of a dog bed which we did take them up on. Let us check in 2 hours early. Perfect.

The Bedroom:
We were in room 258 which is right at the top and at the back of the hotel, I assume this is a "dog friendly" room. No views to speak of. It had a comfortable double bed, with crisp clean bedding, a small flatscreen tv, tea, coffee, biscuits, trouserpress, wardrobe & drawers. Its not the Ritz (as I think some people are expecting) but to be fair you're in the Lakes, the room is for sleeping in and not much else! ahem. Room is a decent size, could probably do with a lick of paint, but don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with it at all.

The Bathroom:
The bathroom is the same size as the bedroom which seemed disproportionately large, tiled floor and walls, sink, loo and shower over bath. Again not the Ritz, but perfectly functionable. I like a good power shower and the water pressure was too low for this, thats about all I could complain about here, but no biggie!

Bar / Restaurant:
The bar area is very nice and modern, good choice of drinks and food. The barman (Spanish guy called Juan I think) is superb, very polite and works really hard running around at the back of everyone. Bar prices are fine, about what you would expect for a hotel. The conservatory is nice overlooking the grounds at the back of the hotel.

Food:
We only ate breakfast here had our other meals out and about round Keswick, but the breakfast was well cooked and tasty with a wide variety of cereal, fresh fruit, fruit juices, toast and of course the full cooked english which is served buffet style. There was always a bit of a queue but took no longer than a few minutes to get served.

The Spa:
The spa is not onsite, its a few miles away, 5-6 mins by car. Oxleys Health Spa is very nice, we took advantage of the spa (swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room) and it was really enjoyable. You need to book with reception and they'll give you a pass so that its free.

Overall for what equated to £45 pppn I believe we got exceptional value for money from our stay. Every member of staff from reception through the bar and the guys and girls waiting on were very polite and friendly. The hotel grounds are lovely, the food is good and the rooms are adequate, the spa is an added little bonus. I heard a number of other guests grumbling and complaining that this hotel is not as good as it used to be.... I cant comment on that as this was our first stay, and one we enjoyed, what I will say is that having had a chat with one of the guys complaining, I think he'd be complaining about what to spend it on if he won the lottery!!

Will be back - minus the dog!

Room Tip: didnt see any other rooms, but I think the rooms on the 1st floor are more modern. maybe.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dazzafoster75
, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Many thanks for your honest and positive review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you felt that we offered fantastic value for money. It is also pleasing to hear that you found my staff polite, friendly and efficient. I will pass on your comments to my team.

Regards Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
lancashire
Reviewed 11 May 2012

called in last sunday,6th may to have lunch with family, ideal spot for the grandchildren {aged 7 & 12} lovely walk to the pond and the lake,not our first visit and wont be our last..nb the club sandwich isn't toasted which I found odd, but hey ho nobody is perfect!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
I am so thrilled that you found both our idyllic location and our food offerings to your liking. I am also pleased that you found us family friendly and that your grandchildren enjoyed our spacious grounds. I hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Stayed for two nights in a single room. This hotel is gorgeous from the outside in a beautiful spot. It should be amazing but it is long overdue for investment. The telly is still a box with 5 analogue channels. That should give you an idea of what to expect. However it's cheap so if your expectations are realistic it's fine. It could be superb with an upgrade as its so overdue. As I say for the price paid, it's perfectly adequate. Hard mattress though!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Suppertipper
Thank you for your review. The hotel has recently had a complete refurbishment of the dining room area and the hotel has an ongoing refurbishment programme which includes televisions.

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed at this Hotel on the 27th April 2012 , we were really disappointed with the general lack of money having been spent on the building. Our room wallpaper was black with damp and paper was coming away from the wall. The shower pressure was unbelievable you had to stand under a trickle to get a wash and the hot water in the hand basin took over three minutes to get even tepid. I have to add that we had upgraded from a standard room so if this was classed as a superior room then heaven help the standard rooms.

Apart from the location this hotel has very little going for it, Shearings need to spend a lot of money to get it to a reasonable standard.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Thanks for your review, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. Our superior and Delux rooms are of a very high standard as you can see from many previous reviews they are well received by our guests. I do hope that you return for another visit in the near future.

Regards Michael

Travellers are raving about these Portinscale hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2012

A last minute deal through Late Rooms offered us a twin room for one night, with breakfast, for £89. Just the ticket for a little escape to the Lakes. We know Portinscale well and had often seen this hotel from the outside, its black and white exterior really quite attractive.

We were given Room 203 which I can only assume was one of their ‘budget’ rooms. (Rack rate £140!) There was tea & coffee and there were toiletries. There was an ‘old’, i.e. not flat screen television but no satellite coverage. The beds did not have duvets but brown blankets – not an attraction – and the mattresses were very firm. Two of the pillows felt as firm as the mattresses. There was an efficient hairdryer. The radiator control in the bedroom did not work so there was no heating. Fortunately it was not a cold night and the heat from the bathroom radiator was adequate.

The décor of the room was quite hideous with neither colours nor patterns coordinating. Paper was peeling off both wall and ceiling and the wooden furniture was shabby. The pink bathroom was one of the tattiest I have seen in a long time with a hot tap that swivelled round when it was turned on or off, dreadful patching up with sealant and a distinctly grubby bottom edge of the splash screen over the edge of the bath.

Breakfast: We were greeted warmly by Jose who took our poached and scrambled eggs on toast order after a few moments. The first course buffet had run out of grapefruit which I did not see replaced but there was sufficient quantity of the usual cereals, muesli, yoghurt and such. While we waited for our eggs, a full 30 minutes from order to delivery, we had plenty of time to observe our surroundings. The first thing that seemed obvious was that the dining room and kitchen appeared to be understaffed. Why else would tables be left un-cleared when people had left them and why else would it take 30 minutes to produce poached and scrambled eggs at a time when there were few people to serve? We were not the only ones to have a long wait. Jose was charming throughout.

On checkout, our reporting of the radiator problem was noted. Our money was taken with no question as to whether we had enjoyed our stay.
We are accustomed to better than this and the Derwentwater Hotel could do much to imrove.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank yorkspuds
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am disappointed that you did not like your allocated room. Currently we do not offer satellite television. The rooms are in the process of changing from sheets and blankets and top cover to duvets. I apologise that the heating control did not work in the bedroom if reception would have been notified we would have solved the problem straight away. I am sorry that you felt the décor and breakfast service was not up to your standards. I do hope that you will visit us again in the future.

newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 14 April 2012

our second time at this hotel and well its a great place to stay. staff cant do enought to help you from mark at reception to staff at bar paul and oliver! all very very helpfull and friendly people also catering staff and cleaners! and its great you can take the dog there! after the stay we booked to go back again in october for another 4 nights (with big thanks to the reservations manager cath i think her name was for sorting it out nice and easy. i like it when you can deal with future booking direct with the hotel this is the way it should be run) so this hotel is deffo worth a visit for anyone wanting a good hotel and cracking views from the grounds of hotel
so big thank you again from us and the dog poppy

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank garry p
Many thanks for your positive review. It is great to hear such positive comments about every aspect of your stay. I will pass on your comments to all of my team. I look forward to your visit (and poppy’s of course) in October that you booked whilst on your last visit.

dronfield
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We recently spent a long weekend with friends at this hotel and throughly enjoyed ourselves. The Staff were friendly and curteous and the room was spacious, warm and comfortable. We had a very large bed and decent size bathroom. We had a few hiccups with the shower but nothing major. The meals were good with plenty of choices on the menu both for breakfast and evening meal. We found the bar prices a little high but most hotels do the same thing, instead of encouraging people to stay in the hotel for drinks in the evening by tempting them with reasonable drink prices, they hike them up and people go out to try and find a cheaper option. All in All we really enjoyed it and the weather was perfect.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank amber64dronfield
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is good to hear that you had excellent weather on your long weekend and that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your meals and that you found my staff was both friendly and courteous. Our bar prices are similar to other hotels in the local area. I hope that you return to the Derwentwater in the near future.

Regards Michael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinscale
The Keswick Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Under Skiddaw
The Kings Arms Hotel
The Kings Arms Hotel
#8 of 12 in Keswick

Been to The Derwentwater Hotel? Share your experiences!