The Derwentwater Hotel
US$222
Travelocity
US$180
US$175
Lyzzick Hall Hotel(Under Skiddaw)
US$203
US$169
Lodore Falls Hotel(Borrowdale)
US$274
US$241
US$189
US$222
US$169
All reviewsa lake view roomcoast countryself cateringrestaurant staffhotel groundshalf boardlake districtshearings hotelslovely locationlovely walkminute walk into keswickweekend breakplenty of choicestunning viewsa lovely stayfull englishderwentwater
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed here between 4th-7th June 2012 - in a standard room. We arrived early at the hotel and the receptionist was happy for us to leave the car in the car park so we could carry on looking around the area. Keswick was a 20 minute walk from the hotel, here are many restaurants and pubs so you did not necessary have to eat at the hotel. Jubilee night was celebrated by the chef putting on an amazing 5 course meal (it was delicious). Breakfast was good with the added bonus being able to "go large" for an extra £3.95. We were only booked in for Bed & Breakfast so was slightly disappointed that the 3 nights we ate here 2 nights one menu option had already run out and no alternative was given. Would stay here again

Room Tip: View from bedroom was good - room although small was sufficient - unable to look at Superior Room as hotel was full
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you for taking time to post your review.
It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay during the Jubilee festivities and that you had a warm welcome and that you enjoyed your meals. It is our policy to offer an alternative dish once a popular dish has been sold and I apologise that this did not happen during your stay.

regards Michael

Reviewed 30 May 2012

I had no idea where I was eating lunch but it was hot and I fancied sitting under a brolly in a beer garden. They don't come more lovely than the Derwentwater's gorgeous spread, overlooking its namesake stretch of water. Immaculate it was. And the charming young man behind the bar went out of his way to organise something that wasn't on the menu to suit my diet. It was so beautifully arranged I felt guilty wrecking the chef's artwork. I can't vouch for the accommodation as I was merely passing through, but when you find a basket of rolled facecloths for drying hands instead of the dreaded hot air dryers and decent handpump soap in the toilets it usually indicates an organisation that cares. I shall certainly eat there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank maggiebd

I am so pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your dining experience at the Derwentwater Hotel. Our gardens are truly a nice place to relax and unwind and I am thrilled that you found the restroom to your satisfaction too.

regards Michael

Reviewed 29 May 2012

one of the best hotels we have stayed at in england. We arrived last march for 4 nights on half board the hotel was very clean as was our room the staff were very friendly and helpful. The menus were varied and plentiful. The derwentwater hotel has an ideal position a short walk through the grounds takes you to the lake with lovely views. There was even a bottle of wine in our room which we had not asked for. we will be going back next year. Paul and Connie, Preston Lancs.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank knowsley4
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Paul and Connie,

Many thanks for your review. I am thrilled that you found us to be one of the best hotels in England and that our location is idyllic, this really is what we at Coast and Country hotels strive for and I am glad that we provided you with an excellent experience

regards

Michael

Reviewed 14 May 2012

This is a completely impartial review having returned from Derwentwater Hotel only yesterday.

As a last minute booking (through lastminute.com) we took a punt on this hotel and then instantly regretted it having looked at the reviews on here. However let me describe our stay:

Reception / Check In:
Really quick and polite, offered to take our bags (which we didnt bother with) even offered use of a dog bed which we did take them up on. Let us check in 2 hours early. Perfect.

The Bedroom:
We were in room 258 which is right at the top and at the back of the hotel, I assume this is a "dog friendly" room. No views to speak of. It had a comfortable double bed, with crisp clean bedding, a small flatscreen tv, tea, coffee, biscuits, trouserpress, wardrobe & drawers. Its not the Ritz (as I think some people are expecting) but to be fair you're in the Lakes, the room is for sleeping in and not much else! ahem. Room is a decent size, could probably do with a lick of paint, but don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with it at all.

The Bathroom:
The bathroom is the same size as the bedroom which seemed disproportionately large, tiled floor and walls, sink, loo and shower over bath. Again not the Ritz, but perfectly functionable. I like a good power shower and the water pressure was too low for this, thats about all I could complain about here, but no biggie!

Bar / Restaurant:
The bar area is very nice and modern, good choice of drinks and food. The barman (Spanish guy called Juan I think) is superb, very polite and works really hard running around at the back of everyone. Bar prices are fine, about what you would expect for a hotel. The conservatory is nice overlooking the grounds at the back of the hotel.

Food:
We only ate breakfast here had our other meals out and about round Keswick, but the breakfast was well cooked and tasty with a wide variety of cereal, fresh fruit, fruit juices, toast and of course the full cooked english which is served buffet style. There was always a bit of a queue but took no longer than a few minutes to get served.

The Spa:
The spa is not onsite, its a few miles away, 5-6 mins by car. Oxleys Health Spa is very nice, we took advantage of the spa (swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room) and it was really enjoyable. You need to book with reception and they'll give you a pass so that its free.

Overall for what equated to £45 pppn I believe we got exceptional value for money from our stay. Every member of staff from reception through the bar and the guys and girls waiting on were very polite and friendly. The hotel grounds are lovely, the food is good and the rooms are adequate, the spa is an added little bonus. I heard a number of other guests grumbling and complaining that this hotel is not as good as it used to be.... I cant comment on that as this was our first stay, and one we enjoyed, what I will say is that having had a chat with one of the guys complaining, I think he'd be complaining about what to spend it on if he won the lottery!!

Will be back - minus the dog!

Room Tip: didnt see any other rooms, but I think the rooms on the 1st floor are more modern. maybe.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dazzafoster75
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Many thanks for your honest and positive review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you felt that we offered fantastic value for money. It is also pleasing to hear that you found my staff polite, friendly and efficient. I will pass on your comments to my team.

Regards Michael

Reviewed 11 May 2012

called in last sunday,6th may to have lunch with family, ideal spot for the grandchildren {aged 7 & 12} lovely walk to the pond and the lake,not our first visit and wont be our last..nb the club sandwich isn't toasted which I found odd, but hey ho nobody is perfect!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

I am so thrilled that you found both our idyllic location and our food offerings to your liking. I am also pleased that you found us family friendly and that your grandchildren enjoyed our spacious grounds. I hope to see you again soon

Regards Michael