“eddie m” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portinscale
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“eddie m”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

we booked ourselves a superior room at this hotel after reading about how modern and comfortable they are,
we found our allocated room 112 very dated, no flat screen as advertised,seating had torn fabric on the arms,the bathroom had a missing grab rail for access into the shower also the bath panel was cracked and split not what we expected for a superior room.
It felt as if we had traveled back to the 70's

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear that you did not like your room. Room 112 is in fact a Deluxe room which offers unrivalled views over Derwentwater, this room is classically appointed and is one of our most popular rooms, however I will investigate the room standards again following your comments. Our superior rooms are indeed all decorated in a modern style and have a 32” Flat screen Television.

Regards Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Wigan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed at this hotel end of July as a birthday treat for my husband. The room was quite spacious and clean with tea and coffee making facilities, the decor rather dated. The evening menu was poor as only 3 meals to choose from one of which was vegetarian there was a menu with lots more choice but had a supplement to pay as wasn,t included in the bed breakfast and evening meal we paid for.
As we were leaving on the Sunday morning i walked outside to the car park and had a nasty fall on a very shiny grid cover as it had been raining and would like to warn other guests as i cut my hand, bruised my knee and hurt my shoulder, other elderly guests may not be so lucky and could have broken bones as a result of this. I have contacted the hotel company who informed me this path is not their responsibility but the local council which has been reported to them before and have not as yet reponded.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
I am so sorry to hear about your fall on path close to the hotel and I do wish you a very speedy recovery. I am pleased however that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the bedroom to your liking. We do have a table d'hote menu which is included in the half board package which has a choice of three mains, however I do hope that you enjoyed our extensive A La Carte menu which offers guests that extra choice.

Once again I do hope that you are ok after your fall and I look forward to seeing you again in the future

Michael
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

We only stayed for one night (with dog) prior to taking over our holiday cottage, but we will definately come again. Reception staff were really helpfull and a pleasure to talk to.The room was tired decoration wise but it was clean plus bed was lovely and comfy and it had all we needed for the night, some good things to do magazines in the room too which was a great help. The shower and bath had really good water pressure, which is good as husband likes a good shower. We had our evening meal in the hotel, my only gripe was the lack of vegetarian choice, only 1 option on both menu's and one of those not available so I had no choice but to have what was available. Hubby as a meat eater was fine lots of choice, both our meals were well made and tasted lovely and were of adequate portion size for us. Breakfast had plenty of choice from porridge to full English to suit all tastes. We had a short explore round the grounds which looked lovely despite the weather the Lakes have endured this summer, though time did not permit a detailed explore. Would like to stay again and experiance the Spa at their sister hotel it looked good in the pictures. Lastly the dog enjoyed her stay too, I am sure she would recommend it too!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
I am glad that you had a pleasant overnight stay and enjoyed the facilities in both the room and the hotel. I am glad that you found the menu varied and to your liking and that Breakfast was of a high standard with plenty of choice. Hopefully next time you will visit us for longer or if staying in a cottage is preferable, the Manor apartments opposite may be more suitable

York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

we stayed three nights having booked the best room in the hotel at a cost of £490-00. on arrival my wife asked where the dining room was to be told where it has always been. fortunately for that member of staff I did not hear the comment.On entering the room it was obvious it had not been hoovered and the carpet was filthy.There was wall paper hanging off the wall and the toilet only flushed if you could get the handle in the right position. dinner the first night was a fish cake or a small though piece of pork.On speaking to a fellow guest he said the previous nights meal had been inedible the two following nights meals where if anything worse.I did not complain to the manager as I thought it would be a waste of time but on my return home wrote to the directer in charge of complaints not asking for any compensation but reporting this terrible experience and guess what he had not the decency to reply. so be warned

Room Tip: book in at any other Hotel
6 Thank Norman W
Dear Norman,

I am sorry that you did not approach me during your stay, and I am sure that our customer care department will contact you regarding your letter.
My staff are highly trained in customer care so it saddens me to hear about they way your wife was talked to, this is unacceptable and I apologise if this happened.
Our table d’hote menu offers three main courses and a choice to upgrade to the A La Carte menu which has twelve choices, not just fishcake or a pork chop. As you can see from lots of the reviews our food is normally of a consistently high standard.
Regards Michael

Travellers are raving about these Portinscale hotels

Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We spent a week in the Grange which is one of the apartments owned by the hotel across the street. It had passes for the local spa, which we used for free. The swimming pool was lovely as was our back massage treatment. The flat was clean, tidy and well-appointed with trouser press, toiletries etc.The weather was appalling but the heating system was great. However, the bed was so hard my husband had to curtail our walks as his back was in spasm. (The massage helped but it cleared up after one night at home.)
Our main complaint was the disappointment over meals in the hotel. It was our wedding anniversary and my husband asked the hotel to put champagne in the flat, which they did, adding a card. Very nice. We booked dinner that evening, intending to have the table d'hote advertised in the Guests' Handbook. We were refused that option. Only HOTEL guests were allowed to have the table d'hote. We had a very embarrassing conversation at the table with other guests listening to us being treated as second class citizens. The restaurant manager was adamant that she could not allow us the menu we wished so we had the a la carte menu, it being too late to go elsewhere. In the event, the food was very indifferent and certainly not worth the prices charged. We never ate there again.
The restaurant manager obviously realised that the refusal - and public humiliation - had spoiled a special day. She phoned the flat later and cut the bill in half, which was a good gesture but didn't change our feeling of being treated as inferior guests.
Someone came in to the flat when we were out and removed the table d'hote menu from the Guests' Handbook.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review on your stay at the Derwent manor Apartments. Grange is a two bedroom apartment and it is good to know that you found the apartment clean and tidy and had good facilities. Guests at the Manor can get the table d'hote menu for £10 per person or they can use the main a la carte menu as priced, i am sorry about the confusion during your stay but it is good to hear that Sam the restaurant manager offered you a discount on the a la carte menu. From September guests will be able to get 25% off the Derwentwater hotel a la carte menu during their stay, with the table d'hote available to hotel guests only.

I do hope that you return to the manor in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

Third visit to this hotel, excellent location close to Keswick infact a nice easy walk. Staff very friendly and helpful. Had a superior room with excellent views of garden and lake excellent facilities the only thing that spoilt it was a shower that had really poor water pressure and had inadequate space for the shower. Will visit again!

Room Tip: Second floor, lake view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tel1062
Thank you tel1062 for your review.

Our superior rooms are very popular and I am glad that you found excellent facilities, i will investigate the poor water pressure problem you encountered. I will pass on your lovely comment about the staff being friendly and helpful.

I look foward to your fourth visit in the near future

glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

My friend and I took four 80 plus year olds to this hotel in May 2012 for our twice yearly "golden girls " weekend. We all had a fabulous time and can't praise the staff enough. They were all very helpful and couldn't do enough for us.
The food was very good - lots of choice, well-cooked, lots of it and always hot.
My mum is in a wheelchair and has to use oxygen, so we had room 1 on the ground floor which had plenty space for us to move around and when we asked for an extension cable for her oxygen machine it was promptly delivered.The only problem with it was no outlook as it is below street level so the window is frosted, but to be honest we weren't in it much!
The others were upstairs (there is a lift) and all were happy with their facilities.
The setting is delightful, with beautiful gardens leading down to the duck pond and the lake beyond.
All in all, good value at a reasonable price

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am glad that you all had such a good time and that you found your stay good value for money. Our staff are highly trained in customer care and its good to hear that they made a good impression on your group. I will pass on your lovely comments to the head chef and his team.

I look foward to the 'Golden Girls' next visit

regards Michael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinscale
The Keswick Country House Hotel
#3 of 12 in Keswick
Dale Head Hall
Dale Head Hall
#12 of 12 in Keswick

Been to The Derwentwater Hotel? Share your experiences!