“A great hotel”

The Derwentwater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portinscale
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We recently spent 4 nights at the Derwentwater Hotel in Portinscale and thoroughly enjoyed it. Portinscale is next to Keswick in the Lake District and it is absolutely beautiful. The scenery is magnificent.
The hotel is an old building with not much happening, but if you want a nice peaceful, quiet break in the Lake District then it is excellent. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The restaurant staff all seemed to be foreign but they were all so polite and helpful, they couldn't do enough for you. The food was, in my opinion, excellent, with some choice every meal time. There wasn't much enertainment in the evenings - only one evening in fact - and I suppose that could be a let down for some people but for us it was a plus. We wanted a nice quiet break and that was what we got. Our room was comfortable with a good view of the lake - Derwentwater. Perhaps if we go again, and I am sure we will, we will upgrade to a better room. This is purely for our own choice as there was nothing wrong with our room as it was. The grounds of the hotel went right down to the edge of the lake and was a very pleasant walk.
Unfortunately the weather in this part of England is very debatable and you can get a lot of rain and we did. We did have some good weather though and we saw a lot of the Lake District. We were also able to go across to Hadrian's Wall in Northumberland and up into Scotland as it was all quite close by.
All in all I would recommend a visit to the Lake District. I would definitely recommend a stay at the Derwentwater Hotel as I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view and a high room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnwWestgate
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Many thanks for your positive review.
I am glad that you had a pleasant and relaxing break at the hotel and that you are looking at returning to the hotel in the near future. It is great to hear that you found the food to be excellent and your accommodation comfortable. The walk down to the lake through our grounds are amazing and I am glad you enjoyed this pleasant walk, hopefully on your next visit the weather will be kinder too.
Regards Michael

There are newer reviews for The Derwentwater Hotel

Reviewed 23 September 2012

On the whole a good stay. The standard room was absolutely fine (a nice touch with a teddy bear placed on the bed!). The food in the restaurant was good and we liked the fact that you could upgrade courses from the standard inclusive menu to the a la carte options. Our only gripe was the table we were allocated was adjacent to the waiters' preperation area, which was very off-putting when you want a nice romantic meal. We felt like we were sharing the table with the waiting staff as they perched on the end of our table!! The hotel was in a good location, easy to get to from the M6 and plenty of parking. Easy walking access into Keswick town.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, we try to offer good wholesome cooked food and it is great to hear that you enjoyed the new ala carte menu which offers more choice than ever before, I am sorry that you were situated close to the waiters preparation area, if you would have preferred a different table our restaurant manager could have offered you a different more romantic table in a different location within the dining room.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

We have stayed at this lovely hotel for the past few years; this 2012 year in August. We had a comfortable room with a fine lake view. The staff did everything to help; even leaving a welcome card and chocolates as returning customers. This is a brilliant base for Lakes and Hadrian's Wall including fascinating Vindolanda visits at a very reasonable cost considering you are in the Lake District. We recommend it to everyone but do leave space for us to stay again next year!
We are off to Lansdown Grove Hotel Bath on Monday, another fine Coast and Country hotel.
Norwil, Lincolnshire

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are the best.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Thank you for your positive review Norman,

I am glad that you recieved such a warm welcome upon your return and that you recieved a little thank you for your loyalty. I do hope you enjoyed your stay at our sister hotel the Lansdown Grove.
I look forward to your next visit

regards

Reviewed 21 September 2012

We have just returned from yet another fantastic weekend at the Derwentwater. Really can't fault the rooms, staff or the food. My husband and myself first visit to the Derwentwater was 19 years ago and have seen some changes, mostly for the better. The only gripe I have is that as the Hotel was full it would have been nice to have entertainment on for the full weekend and not just Saturday. We feel that the Derwentwater is a home from home.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 117 a standard room but was a very good size. On the front of the hotel but was qu...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review Sue51Widnes.

I am thrilled that you found the changes made to the hotel by Coast and Country hotels. Its pleasing ton that as one of our regulars you return time and again and we really appreciate such loyalty. I look forward to your next retun to your 'home from home' in the near future.

regards

Reviewed 12 September 2012

When I look at the negative reviews I cannot believe we stayed at the same hotel, especially criticism of the food and service. Both of which we found very good. Our room was a lake view room.The view from our room was wonderful with lovely views of Derwent Water and Walla Crag. Great to wake up in the morning to see that view. We were pleased with our room pleasantly decorated with water colour prints of the Lake District on the walls and a comfortable bed. There was also a large flatscreen tv. The bathroom was ok but there might be room for improvement here. Nowhere to put our toiletries and cracked floor tiles. The only other criticism was the lack of entertainment in the evening. But over all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. And one other feature that must be mentioned is the 16 acres of grounds part of which is is a nature reserve. Delightful to wander around in.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you Mike for your lovely comments.

It is pleasing to know that you had a great stay with us at the Derwentwater Hotel and that you found our spectacular views and the room decorations and comfortable bed to your liking. We currently do have entertainment two evenings a week with a local guitarist singer on a Thursday and a pianist on Saturday. Its good to hear you mention our wetlands area wich is a SSSI site.

I hope to meet you again in the near future

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Stayed here during the Jubilee weekend. The receptionist was not friendly and did not offer any advice about what to do/see while in Keswick. The room was quite nice until we looked out our window (Room 102?) to see our 'lake view.' If you squished yourself up against the closet door you could see a spec of the lake... mostly the view we got was the garden and the car park. We complained about this but management would not budge as room as classified as a lake view. See pictures below and decide for yourself. Breakfast was not good. Considering it was not a buffet, you would think you could have what you wanted ordered (i.e. dry eggs)... but alas that was not the case. I was stuck with terrible, wet eggs. Hotel was a fairly quick walk (maybe 10 minutes?) to town centre. Beware of when they ask if you would like a paper delivered to your room... you're lucky if you do get it and when you do get it, you are charged for it when you leave! Would not stay here as service was terrible and we were overcharged for a car park/garden view.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear that you did not find the service at the hotel to be of a good standard, you can see by the numerous reviews on this site that this is something we do particularly well. The room you were given does have a view over the lake as in the photo, with breathtaking views over the hotels wetlands and the fells beyond, there was no overgarge made for this room just the standard lake view supplement. I am glad that you found the room itself to be nice.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

We have just returned from the Derwent water hotel and the setting is beautiful. The waiters and houskeeping staff I would say were also excellent. Thank you housekeepers for Anniveery card.
Food was simple hot and tasty cooked breakfast good (Though continental breakfast was very poor All I saw was bread and jam) No prepared fruit just bowl of fruit poor choice)
Considering the area of the hotel I would have expected the quality of decor and furniture of the inside to be on a par with the outside and it wasnt (Its as simple as that)It has been updated but looked poorly done. damp ill fitting carepts.
My big dissapointdment was the attitude of a gentleman at reception. I had a telephone call from a very polite lady called Catherine checking my booking which was twin standard as that was all they had I was told when booked.
However,Catherine told me there was a cancellation on a superior room and i could have this at a reduced price if not gone when we arrived. I mentioned this to gentleman at reception and he said oh no that wouldnt be fair on others we would have to pay full price.(which made me think there was one available) Then Catherine came out and said it wasnt available.
I am not sure this was true. IT IS NOT UNCOMMON FOR A HOTEL TO UPGRADE TO A SUPERIOR ROOM FREE OR CHEAPER RATHER THAN LEAVE IT EMPTY. WE HAVE DONE THIS OFTEN AT MANY GOOD HOTELS I.E BEECH HILL, FAYRA GARDENS AND OTHERS IF BREAK WAS LAST MINUTE.
So I was dissapointed though the standard room was adequate it would have been nice to have a better room on our anniversary. It may have encouraged us to come back and recommend to my family but not now. We stayed at Fayrer Garden Hotel on way home and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! AND THE COST WAS £1 more

Colette and John laing - Mature couple 31st August for 2 nights

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can and dont book if they wont do you a good deal.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments.

I am pleased that you found the extra touch of an anniversary card on your arrival. Our continental breakfast does have a choice of several fruits and cereals, this is stated on the menu on the tables in the dining room. The hotel has an ongoing refurbishment programme, as you could tell during your visit with the newly decorated dining room.
During your stay we had no empty rooms as we were fully booked, so we were unable to upgrade your room. Upgrades prices are the same throughout the year and as I stated to you upon arrival it would not be fair to the customers who paid up front for their superior or delux rooms to offer a reduced rate to guests upon arrival.

regards Michael

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinscale
The Keswick Country House Hotel
#12 of 17 in Keswick
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to The Derwentwater Hotel? Share your experiences!