The Derwentwater Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel(Under Skiddaw)
View Hotel
All reviewsa lake view roomcoast countryself cateringrestaurant staffhotel groundshalf boardlake districtshearings hotelslovely locationlovely walkminute walk into keswickweekend breakplenty of choicestunning viewsa lovely stayfull englishderwentwater
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 November 2012

We stayed here for a weekend with my sister. didn't like it. Hotel was tired and it felt to me to unprofessionally run - some of the staff were impolite. I should have looked at Trip Advisor before we went. I notice that management seem to be defensive about traveller's poor experiences at their hotel which is surprising. They should be gracious and promise to improve.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Dbirv
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Sorry to hear that you did not like your stay. I am suprised to hear that you found some staff to be impolite, the staff are highly trained in customer care and we do strive to offer fantastic service.

I hope you reconsider and give us another try.

As you can see from the many positive responses on trip advisor and other sites that this hotel does strive to and delivers excellent customer service to our guests.

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Recently stayed for 3 nights in a 1-bed self-catering apartment at Derwent Manor Apartments. We were really impressed and would definitely stay again.

The apartment was very spacious, decor a bit dated (flowery carpets etc) but we expected that and it is part of the Lakeland charm!

We were surprised at how well equipped the kitchen was – the usual toaster, kettle and microwave etc, but also a blender, dishwasher, breadbin, foil for the baking tray, plenty of crockery/cutlery and good, clean pans in a variety of sizes.

The bed was massive (it was 2 singles pushed together but the bedding was double so it felt like one huge bed. Curtains pretty much blocked all light which ensured a good sleep in, and we didn’t hear any other guests despite it being booked up for half term.

For me the main benefit of this accommodation, which you rarely find, was the combination of the space and flexibility of an apartment , with the convenience and service of a hotel (you can use all the hotel facilities over the road as if you are a hotel guest). We saved money by having breakfast and some dinners in our apartment, and enjoyed the extra space of the living room for playing games and relaxing in, but then we used the hotel reception for things like getting taxis when we wanted them, taking advantage of the free day in a local health club spa (a fantastic way to spend a rainy day in the Lakes!), we enjoyed a couple of drinks in the hotel bar, and used the lobby’s free wifi.

There is a footpath connecting Portinscale to Keswick, takes about 15mins to walk in, or a taxi is just under £5 if it is raining or late (I wouldn’t fancy tackling the footpath in the dark).

We would definitely go back, and although some people like hotels, I would go for an apartment here over the hotel option every time.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

I am pleased that you found everything about your stay to your satisfaction. The apartments are really well appointed and I am thrilled that you found it spacious and that it had all the ameneties that you needed during your stay.

i am pleased that you used the hotel facilites across in our sister hotel and that you found the wifi and bar service excellent.

I look forward to meeting you again in the future at the Derwentmanor Apartments

regards

Michael

Reviewed 19 October 2012

We recently spent a lovely week in the Derwent Manor Apartments which are run by the Derwentwater Hotel. We have stayed in both the apartments and the hotel previously and where quite disappointed with the hotel las time so we opted for the apartments again. We stay in self catering houses/apartment about 4/5 times per year and this last stay in Buttermere apartment is probably the best yet. The apartment was spotlessly clean, comfortably furnished and very well equipped with the added surprise of a welcome pack of bread, eggs, milk, juice and a tray of tea and coffee - we also received a gift of wine because we were returning customers - we have never had this anywere else. Also included are a free Sunday newpaper and complimentary breakfast in the hotel on the day of departure. The Manor is a lovely old building and there was very little sound from the other apartments and the added bonus (for Keswick) of loads of parking spaces.

The staff, under the quidance of the new(ish) manager were very friendly and efficient - although sometimes we had to go looking for them to be served at the bar or reception. Another bonus for a 7 night stay is a 25% discount voucher for any meals purchased in the hotel which we took advantage of for a bar lunch and dinner one evening. The food at this hotel has improved greatly since we stayed here a few years ago and we had a lovely meal which was very reasonably priced (even more so with the discount).

We are obviously not the only ones to be impressed by the apartments and the improvements to the hotel because as I was booking online for next year someone beat me to it by seconds - I did manage to get a later week.

The only downsides are the duvets on the beds - we much prefer top sheets and blankets, but we omitted to ask for them so our fault really.

The manager and all of his staff were very nice; the cleaners in the apartments, Marie and the other girl who showed us around the Manor, whose name I didn't catch but I hope your cold's better; the barman/waiter from Tenerife and the girls who served us our complimentary breakfast on our last day.

As I said we have already booked for next September and if we hadn't already booked our earlier visits to Keswick we would have chosen Derwentwater again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2012

Thank you for your lovely review of the Derwentwater self catering apartments, I am glad you found the apartments and the food at the hotel to your satisfaction and we look forward to your next visit.

If you require sheets and blankets on your next visit just let us know and we will have the apartment exactly how you want it prepared.

see you again soon

Reviewed 10 October 2012

We booked 3 nights over Near Year in a self catering apartment. The accommodation was fantastic, spaciosus and dog friendly and just a short walk into the town. We did however lower the average age on one of the nights when we used the hotel restaurant ....it must be the OAP hotel for NY breaks!

Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Thank you for your review about our Manor Apartments. As you said the apartments are very spacious with excellent amenities. I look forward to your next stay in the near future.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

As locals we have dined here often with satisfaction. We ordered the 'special' roast beef (no Yorkshire pudding!) Lunch. It was bland, the boiled potatoes hard, beef curled dry with about two tablespoons of brown sludge. The chefs give the impression of no interest or passion in their food. We got a full refund and apology from reception but left disappointed and feeling things were unlikely to improve. An injustice to the beautiful setting. Old style school or hospital dinners were better than Derwentwater Hotel's.
A. Randall

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank 123Horace123

I am sorry to hear that your latest lunch at the hotel was not up to our usual standards. Our chefs do have pride in their dishes as is evident by your many satisfied lunches at the hotel. I do hope that you return again to sample our home cooked fayre and I am glad that my reception staff did offer you a full refund which was accepted.