“Great Find”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portinscale
lancashire
“Great Find”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed for two nights in June at short notice. Room was fine. A bit tied and quirky but did the job more than adequately. The gardens at the rear and the spacious lounge and conservatory area help the relaxed feel of the hotel with ample parking. It is however ideally placed for some good walks, a nice cafe and pub are close by in the village and whilst giving the quiet feel of a small lake district village it is only a 15/20 min walk away from Keswick and all it has to offer. Prices can vary throughout the year but and it is worth monitoring offers but bottom line is would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, we very much value your feedback.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.

I agree with all of your comments!

See you again soon.

David McDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We recently stayed for 2 nights here, having being given vouchers as a gift for our wedding anniversary. Unfortunately we were unable to book a room with a view of the lake, as none were available at the time of booking. When we arrived we were shown to a ground floor room which had no view whatsoever, as the windows were of frosted glass, and only opened at the top. It was stuffy and stale, not helped by the warm weather. We were reluctant to complain as it was afterall a gift, and only for 2 nights. In hindsight We wish that we had requested a possible room change. What a pity not to have a room with at least something to look out onto, when surrounded by lovely scenery. Had we known before hand, we may have decided to wait untill another time, when more rooms available. The rest of our experience there was generally ok, but left feeling rather deflated that we hadn't enjoyed it as much as we had expected, having read the descriptions before we went. I have written to the holiday company we booked it with, and hope that they finfd my feedback useful.

Room Tip: Don't request a ground floor room !
2 Thank Jill N
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to review the hotel, following your stay.

I am sorry that you were unable to book an upgraded lake view room, these are very popular and quite often get booked up quite some time in advance. Having said that your comments about our recently upgraded ground floor rooms are a surprise, I am sorry but I disagree that this room is disappointing. Its certainly clean, comfortable and has all the amenities required for a short stay. Quite often the ground floor rooms are the first rooms requested by our returning guests.

Unfortunately not all of the rooms have a coveted lake view however with 19 acres of gardens leading right down to the lake and a fantastic outlook from our conservatory one can easily make the most of our beautiful location.

It is a shame we were not made aware of your feelings and given the opportunity to take action to give you a positive experience.

It is equally a shame that you haven't made much comment about the food or service, guest feedback is very important to us and any opportunity to hear guests views is valuable.

Once again I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I am going to make this review both short, and positive. Overall we found the staff were both friendly and pleasant. The bar manager was particularly customer helpful. As for the setting of the hotel, it is just perfect, with an efficient gardener (not easy to find) keeping pristine grounds that overlook the mountains and a pathway to the edge of Lake Derwent. Breakfasts are efficiently served and satisfying.

There are a few negative reviews on here. I will only comment that there now appears to be a new General Manager appointed, who has given every indication of taking on board negative comments, and being proactive in his approach. Will I use the Group again? Yes. Will I use the same hotel again? I feel that with the new GM it will improve greatly throughout the coming months, so it will receive my vote. 12/07/13

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it is great to engage with all guests and learn from the experience of our guests.

I am delighted you found the staff to be friendly and pleasant, I will pass this on.

The reviews are generally good but there are some negative comments which I indeed do take on board and listen, this is key to improving the hotel.

I hope that you will visit us again soon.

Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Our stay had lots of positives to rave about from the view and beautiful surroundings to the food (especially the breakfast) and waiting staff- fantastic. Especially Jose and Andy who were exceptional. But sadly found the room dirty and unappealing and the reception staff , although courteous were not particularly friendly. Having stayed at plenty of other hotels where the staff are extremely friendly and warm we found this disappointed us slightly. Would we stay again? Possibly if we thought reception staffs attitude improved and the Hotel had a bit of a spruce up.

2 Thank Ali G
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to review the hotel, your views are important to us.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the beautiful location as well as the food and the friendliness of the team, with a minor exception on reception which rest assured I will investigate. Generally reception are reviewed as friendly and professional which is vital in creating a first and last impression of the hotel, hence why your comments concern me and I will consult the team to emphasise how important their role is in making our guests stay a good one.

I will ensure Jose and Andy receive a copy of your comments along with a little treat!

I hope you will join us again soon.

Vienne, France
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We booked a last minute 1 night stay and paid £59 b+b.
The reception staff were lovely and very helpful. There are no shops in Portinscale - Keswick is 10 mins drive and has all you could need. I think that I saw a pub in the village which offered food but that's all. Our room was no 255 which was on the 2nd floor+. There is a lift to the 2nd floor but there are about 6-7 more stairs to get to these rooms which must be the cheap seats.
Don't get me wrong there was nothing wrong with our room apart from the shower which was really pathetic!! There was lots of hot water and had I wanted a bath there wouldn't have been a problem but I wanted a shower and it was woeful.
There wasn't really a view apart from an interesting roof but there was telly with freeview, a comfy double bed with crisp sheets, wardrobe with hangers, hospitality tray etc. there was no wifi in the room but no problem with access downstairs in the lounge.
We had dinner in the restaurant and it was superb. We were advised to book although the restaurant was way less than half full.
There was a choice of 3 courses for £20pp or a la carte. We went for the 3.
I can't remember what I had apart from a prawn salady starter but I remember that it was all gorgeous.
The kitchen was obviously geared to catering for 50+ and we were maybe 15 in the restaurant. The service was super quick and the meals were beautifully cooked and presented - I can't fault them.
I liked this hotel - it's a strange mix of old Victorian and modern cool but I think it works. It feels like home. We had an early walk towards the lake whilst waiting for breakfast and saw ducks and rabbits and all sorts of wildlife just by walking through the hotel grounds.
Breakfast was again lovely. I thought that we would only have a continental for our £59 but we had a full English and again the amazing speedy service.
Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnsbint
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the considerable time you have spent to give readers your views on our hotel following your stay. All feedback is vital to helping us improve the hotel to our guests needs.

I am delighted that you found the team to be helpful, and your room comfortable, whilst our rooms are not all refurbished we do think think that they are all confortable and clean. I have noted your comment regarding your shower and will investigate this taking action where required.

I am happy to read that your enjoyed your meals whilst with us, this is very important. I will ensure the tema are made aware.

I hope that you will be visiting us again soon.

bournemouth
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Spent last weekend in this lovely hotel, with husband and dog. Its location is perfect. You can walk through the gardens to the lake, my dog loves the water.The views are spectacular and its a very tranquil setting. We had a lovely big room, very clean and comfortable. The staff are friendly and helpful. On the saturday evening my in-laws came to join us for dinner, we had some very good food and wine. We have stayed here before and we always enjoy ourselves. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it is great to read that you had such a good time.

I will ensure all the team get to see your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon.

Cheshire - England
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This hotel has a very distinct character and clearly from the reviews some people like the place and some hate it. As such I provide the following FACTUAL information that might help people decide if it is for them.

Guests – I have eaten at the hotel a number of times and just stayed for a long weekend. On each occasion it has seemed to me that while there are certainly some younger guests most seemed to me to be over 55 with their being plenty of pensioners.

Food – I found this to be excellent. The breakfast is the typical cereals, juices and any cooked items from the usual selection with there being lots to choose from. The evening meals while not fine dining were very good and there was always a vegetarian item and lots of nice sweets. For coffee and tea you return to the main bar and serve your self so can have as much as you want.

Staff – All seem young, enthusiastic and keen to oblige.

Public Areas – While these have been re done as some time in the past few years, they are shown in pristine condition on the web site and this is now most certainly NOT the case!!! Yes they are very clean but they are really showing their age and some of the photos posted by past guests clearly indicate this.

Room – As with the public areas while these are clean and functional they are very dated. The room that I have just had was a time capsule of the 1980’s, built in wardrobe made of varnished pine with lots of peeling paint and wallpaper, again this is clearly shown by some of the photos posted by past guests.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest, and detailed review. Trip Advisor is used by us as a valuable tool to improve the hotel, and engage with our guests, as such we really appreciate the time guests take to review the hotel.

I am delighted to read about many of your comments, regarding the food, and team members - who are always keen to ensure the guests have a great holiday.

I have noted your comments about the rooms and décor and agree that some of our rooms could do with an update. We do have a rolling plan of upgrading rooms and this will continue, with 8 rooms being done this year representing almost 20% of the bedrooms plus the 10 others which have been refurbished in the last few years we are progressing along this programme.

I hope that we will see you again, and once again thank you for your comments.

David McDonald
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinscale
The Keswick Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Under Skiddaw
The Kings Arms Hotel
The Kings Arms Hotel
#8 of 12 in Keswick

Been to The Derwentwater Hotel? Share your experiences!