“Good location”

The Derwentwater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portinscale
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel is beautifully situated with attractive grounds leading down to the lake. There are several walks that can be taken from the hotel including one from the road at the front which gives way to a track eventually leading into Keswick. we had a room (104) over looking the garden and glimpse of the lake. It was pleasantly furnished and had adequate seating to allow relaxation in the room but it was a little cramped and the bed was a small double. Similarly
the bathroom which just accommodated a bath with shower over, wash basin and toilet. To reach the room there were around six steps in the corridor outside which had to be negotiated with luggage on arrival and departure. The reception staff were helpful and friendly, but the dining room staff possibly because of language were rather 'automated'- Efficient but impersonal. The food was nothing particularly special but not bad. The dining room is quite large and can easily accommodate the coach parties that seem to favour the hotel quite frequently. There are adequate public rooms including a small lounge where there is WiFi reception and a nice sun lounge leading out to garden seating in good weather. Ducks seem attracted to the garden.

Room Tip: Ask about stairs and help with luggage if this is important to you. Room 104 overlooks garden and La...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to review The Derwentwater following your recent stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and found the hotel to be well located, with a friendly team.

Our resident ducks are fed each morning by our Head Gardener and they keep coming back - with numbers growing!

I hope we have the chance to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I can only agree with all of the recent positive comments. We have just spent two nights at the hotel and we are hoping to go again later in the year. Although our room has not yet been re-furbished we have no complaints whatsoever. It was spacious, comfortable and very clean. The staff were very friendly, efficient and helpful. The service was excellent. The grounds are stunning. A perfect place to chill out.

1  Thank kandsa
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Derwentwater after your recent stay with us.

I am very happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay, I will make sure all the team get to read your comments.

When you visit later in the year please let me know and I will do my best to allocate you one of our newly refurbished rooms, they are lovely. You can see some pictures of these on our Coast and Country Hotels Blog page.

Once again thank you and see you very soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

A little way out of Keswick but a nice walk. The hotel was great - the staff were both pleasant and professional and nothing was too much trouble. The room was excellent - nice and large - the bathroom was two steps up from the room and contained a bath. I'm not really a shower person so a large bath in a large bathroom is my idea of heaven after a long walk and before going down to our meals. The room was beautiffuly furnished in grey and a contrasing green - very restful.
The meals were all great served to us by a nice bunch of staff - we will definately go again and thankyou........

Room Tip: Our room was chosen by the hotel and was great
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken in reviewing the hotel following your recent stay.

It is wonderful to read that you had such a good time, and I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team, they work very hard and it is great that their efforts are noticed.

I am particularly delighted that you enjoyed the decor or one of our newly refurbished rooms. The rooms are wonderfully bright, and the beds are very comfortable which makes for a lovely nights sleep! Over 50% of the hotel now has been refurbished, with much more planned early next year.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Beautiful hotel set in the perfect location for rest and relaxation. The Charming Manager was extremely helpful and his team were very courteous with no problem insurmountable. Keswick is a short distance and Portiscale is an absolute heaven for walkers. I understand that some of the rooms are being upgraded and having caught sight of one of these I know that future visitors will be delighted with the standard of accommodation. The food was an excellent standard and there certainly was fantastic customer service. All in all, one of the best places I've stayed and hope to return. Thank you to all of your staff - well done! One Happy Traveller

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to review the hotel following your recent stay.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, and I thank you for your praise. I will pass this onto all the team. We have indeed updated many rooms with over 50% of the hotel having been refurbished in the last 12 months and much more planned, the rooms look wonderful.

I hope we have the chance to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Lovely old world setting .
Quaint village . Friendly , helpful staff . Excellent breakfast and dinner . I was part of a large group and the general feedback from everyone was positive . My room was small but adequate as I was in a single room . Bathroom was of a high standard . Rooms are being upgraded so things will be even better in the future .

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Mary G
DerwentwaterGM, Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback Mary, I am so pleased you and your group enjoyed your stay with us.

It was our pleasure having you and we very much look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Lake District.

With kind Regards

Steve Stott
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The hotel is definitely representative of its 3 star rating!

Upon checking in to the hotel we were told we had been upgraded....we excitedly went to our room to only find what I can describe as a HORRIBLE MISERABLE DEN! there was one tiny halogen light placed in the middle of the ceiling. The double bed was small and hard and the tv was aprox 20 inches big that we had to place it on a table and move it to the end of our bed so we could actually see it!!!..The bathroom was comparable to what I would imagine a crack den may look like with a small dirty bath and cracked basin which had two separate taps for hot and cold......

The room was truly depressing and miserable, it comprised of a cupboard, a table, a kettle and a small desk with a mirror...the view from the window overlooked the side street...

To add insult to injury, our friends who had checked into the hotel a few hours before us had also been 'upgraded' but their room was actually rather nice. Comfortable double bed, seating area, big tv, Assortment of hot drinks...a view of the lake..... and several lights fitted to the ceiling unlike our hostel hole of a room!!!

Breakfast was good. Front desk tried their best. Shame they didn't really have a clue about activities to do in the local area...... Hotel is quite run down as a whole...I wouldn't recommend it!

Room Tip: this section has made me laugh. I CANT ANSWER that
3  Thank Gemsy83
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Guest,

I am very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay.

Having spent considerable time reading your review I am sorry but I completely disagree with many of your comments, my team do their best and I feel your views do not accurately reflect them or this wonderful hotel.

Regards

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for four nights from 28th April 2014. The Hotel is in an excellent position for walkers and in spacious grounds which extend to the waters edge. We were in room 211 which looked a little tired and could do with a bit of TLC. Having said that, the hotel is in the process of being renovated and 6 rooms at a time are being upgraded. I could not fault the cleanliness of the room and the meals were good, always served hot and with no lengthy wait between courses. This brings me to the dining room staff and can only say their standard of service was exceptional. OK the hotel needs a long awaited upgrade but this is being attended to and "Heck" I was there to do some walking and not to look for cracks in the wallpaper!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David H
DerwentwaterGM, Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear David, Thank you for your comments, they are very much appreciated by everyone here at the Derwentwater. We are getting there with the refurbishment and I am pleased to confirm that the room you were in, room 211 is amongst the latest to have been refurbished and will have been completed by the time this response has been posted to Trip adviser.

I do hope you will come back and visit us again soon, and give me your view on the improvements not only to this room but to the improvements in general. Guest feedback is much appreciated throughout the process and I for one value your opinion.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Regards

Steve Stott
Deputy General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinscale
The Keswick Country House Hotel
#12 of 17 in Keswick
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to The Derwentwater Hotel? Share your experiences!