“Cheap and nasty” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portinscale
London, United Kingdom
“Cheap and nasty”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Cheap dirty rooms with very dated furniture, we booked and apartment that was very small with very uncomfortable beds, having been miss sold the hotel on Boonkings.com with a promise of swimming pool and gym, when we asked to use the facilities we found that they were 2 miles odd down the road and children under 16 could not use them. (they have since changed there page on Bookings.com) they moved us to a three bed room (very small beds) which had the the noisiest plumbing i've herd. We ended up leaving a day early which actually spoilt the whole per pose of the trip. Shame on Derwent and Bookings.com you have not herd the last if this.

Room Tip: Please do not go here
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Runningman4666
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,

I am very disappointed and saddened to read your review, especially as I felt I personally resolved your issues at the time of your stay with us, which I hasten to add, were no fault of either Booking.com or ourselves. I also felt I did everything I could to make your stay enjoyable and hoped I had succeeded.

To clarify, the main issue was because you had booked a twin bedded apartment which sleeps two people. This apartment type is not suitable for 2 adults, 1 child and a large dog which is what we were faced with on your arrival. Had we been made aware in advance of your requirements, a larger and more suitable apartment would have been reserved for you, unfortunately we were not and you were therefore allocated exactly what you had booked. I feel the goodwill gesture of recompense, alternative accommodation as well as complimentary breakfast, more than compensated for something which was not our fault.

I totally agree that the information regarding the leisure facilities could have been misleading, and for that reason I had them updated following our discussion and my apology at the time.

It is disappointing that you felt the need to post such a review and that despite my efforts to make amends at the time for your dissatisfaction, you remain unhappy and for that I am truly sorry.

Regards
David McDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We came upon this impressive hotel by chance during the Bank Holiday whilst searching for a good trout fishing spot on the River Derwent. We ordered 3 afternoon teas (there were four of us), lovely and good value at £7.95 a head and plenty to go round with a cherry scone, jame and clotted cream to spare for munching whilst fishing. Sat outside in the sun reading newspapers and it felt really decadent. A really lovely location and nice, friendly staff. Reminded us of an Agatha Christie setting (without any nasty surprises!) - will definitely visit again. River Derwent was fantastic for fishing too ... what a combination.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. Our afternoon tea's have just been launched and are proving very popular - I must admit I myself time to time enjoy one! I hope you had a good days fishing.

I will pass your comments onto the team, and hope to welcome you back soon.

Thank you again.

Regards
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel is beautifully situated with attractive grounds leading down to the lake. There are several walks that can be taken from the hotel including one from the road at the front which gives way to a track eventually leading into Keswick. we had a room (104) over looking the garden and glimpse of the lake. It was pleasantly furnished and had adequate seating to allow relaxation in the room but it was a little cramped and the bed was a small double. Similarly
the bathroom which just accommodated a bath with shower over, wash basin and toilet. To reach the room there were around six steps in the corridor outside which had to be negotiated with luggage on arrival and departure. The reception staff were helpful and friendly, but the dining room staff possibly because of language were rather 'automated'- Efficient but impersonal. The food was nothing particularly special but not bad. The dining room is quite large and can easily accommodate the coach parties that seem to favour the hotel quite frequently. There are adequate public rooms including a small lounge where there is WiFi reception and a nice sun lounge leading out to garden seating in good weather. Ducks seem attracted to the garden.

Room Tip: Ask about stairs and help with luggage if this is important to you. Room 104 overlooks garden and La...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to review The Derwentwater following your recent stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and found the hotel to be well located, with a friendly team.

Our resident ducks are fed each morning by our Head Gardener and they keep coming back - with numbers growing!

I hope we have the chance to welcome you back soon.

Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I can only agree with all of the recent positive comments. We have just spent two nights at the hotel and we are hoping to go again later in the year. Although our room has not yet been re-furbished we have no complaints whatsoever. It was spacious, comfortable and very clean. The staff were very friendly, efficient and helpful. The service was excellent. The grounds are stunning. A perfect place to chill out.

1 Thank kandsa
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Derwentwater after your recent stay with us.

I am very happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay, I will make sure all the team get to read your comments.

When you visit later in the year please let me know and I will do my best to allocate you one of our newly refurbished rooms, they are lovely. You can see some pictures of these on our Coast and Country Hotels Blog page.

Once again thank you and see you very soon.

Rugeley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

A little way out of Keswick but a nice walk. The hotel was great - the staff were both pleasant and professional and nothing was too much trouble. The room was excellent - nice and large - the bathroom was two steps up from the room and contained a bath. I'm not really a shower person so a large bath in a large bathroom is my idea of heaven after a long walk and before going down to our meals. The room was beautiffuly furnished in grey and a contrasing green - very restful.
The meals were all great served to us by a nice bunch of staff - we will definately go again and thankyou........

Room Tip: Our room was chosen by the hotel and was great
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken in reviewing the hotel following your recent stay.

It is wonderful to read that you had such a good time, and I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team, they work very hard and it is great that their efforts are noticed.

I am particularly delighted that you enjoyed the decor or one of our newly refurbished rooms. The rooms are wonderfully bright, and the beds are very comfortable which makes for a lovely nights sleep! Over 50% of the hotel now has been refurbished, with much more planned early next year.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope to see you back soon.

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Beautiful hotel set in the perfect location for rest and relaxation. The Charming Manager was extremely helpful and his team were very courteous with no problem insurmountable. Keswick is a short distance and Portiscale is an absolute heaven for walkers. I understand that some of the rooms are being upgraded and having caught sight of one of these I know that future visitors will be delighted with the standard of accommodation. The food was an excellent standard and there certainly was fantastic customer service. All in all, one of the best places I've stayed and hope to return. Thank you to all of your staff - well done! One Happy Traveller

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to review the hotel following your recent stay.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, and I thank you for your praise. I will pass this onto all the team. We have indeed updated many rooms with over 50% of the hotel having been refurbished in the last 12 months and much more planned, the rooms look wonderful.

I hope we have the chance to welcome you back very soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Lovely old world setting .
Quaint village . Friendly , helpful staff . Excellent breakfast and dinner . I was part of a large group and the general feedback from everyone was positive . My room was small but adequate as I was in a single room . Bathroom was of a high standard . Rooms are being upgraded so things will be even better in the future .

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Mary G
DerwentwaterGM, Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback Mary, I am so pleased you and your group enjoyed your stay with us.

It was our pleasure having you and we very much look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Lake District.

With kind Regards

Steve Stott
Deputy General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinscale
The Keswick Country House Hotel
#12 of 12 in Keswick
Mary Mount Hotel
Mary Mount Hotel
#3 of 12 in Keswick

Been to The Derwentwater Hotel? Share your experiences!