“Our stay”

The Derwentwater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portinscale
“Our stay”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Third time back, food good all round, bar was lacking staff most times, staff still friendly and helpful, rooms ok but lacking in ventilation ie a FAN, only small window will open if u can reach it,
Hotel now looking tired and in need of a make over

Room Tip: Lake side view second floor
1 Thank MJC_bitsandbobs
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you keep returning and find my team to be friendly & helpful. I will investigate your comments about a possible lack of bar staff.

We have recently completed the second stage of refurbishments in 12 months taking the total rooms refurbished to 35, with the rest planned for next year, We are also updating our public areas as part of this ongoing process.

I hope to see you back soon.

David McDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our recent visit to this hotel was excellent. The location, the grounds, our room, the staff, were all brilliant. We only had a small problem with the food, and that was just that the fish had bones. Monday's "fish and chips" had a few, but Tuesday's cod was full of bones, and I consider that this hotel's quality, and its restaurant quality were let down by this. That is a pity, but it will certainly not stop us making a return visit as soon as we can. For myself, I found most rooms to be too warm, even with windows open, but that's probably just a personal thing.

3 Thank Brian C
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay, all feedback is vital to us.

I am over the moon to read you had such a good time, and the whole experience was to your liking.

I have noted your comments regarding the bones in the fish, and will look into this.

See you very soon.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed in the hotels apartments which are dog friendly. We were pleased with the size of the accommodation and cleanliness of bathroom, kitchen etc. however we felt the whole place is a bit "tired" and could do with a bit if a re-vamp. The kitchen had recently been modernised and included a dishwasher which is a god send. Everything you needed utensil wise was in the kitchen. We went across to the hotel conservatory with George and he was made welcome (apart from one employee who was quite rude and abrupt about him having a little bark now & again). I would definitely stay here again as the walks we did we're fantastic and the weather was wonderful.

2 Thank 464KAREN464
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to write about your recent stay in Derwent Manor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay (even George). I have noted your comments, and thank you for bringing these to my attention.

I hope we will see you back soon.

Regards
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

This Victorian hotel is situated in a very picturesque location with beautiful views towards Borrowdale and the garden is a wonderful area to relax in, there was even ducks in the garden.
It is perfect for rest and relaxation.
The rooms were very clean and spacious and all the staff were friendly, very efficient and they couldn't do enough for us.
The menu and food was excellent and the service was impeccable.

The Derwent Hotel has given me and my family some wonderful memories we shall treasure for life and will return again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank domsden
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, I will pass these onto the team who I am sure like me will be over the moon that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

My husband myself and our dog stayed at the Derwentwater Hotel on 30 May on a b & b basis. We both thought the hotel and grounds were lovely. We had a groundfloor disabled room which was roomy and spacious and very clean. The breakfast was excellent as was the evening meal. The staff were so friendly and helpful. We tried to stay the following night but it was booked up which does not surprise me. We will certainly be staying again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Julie S
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your stay. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, and the team looked after you. I will ensure this feedback is passed on.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Carshalton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The location of this Victorian hotel is by far its best asset: lovely gardens lead into a natural path and riverside walk to the shores of Derwentwater with it's beautiful views towards Borrowdale. Inside is a bit dim, despite obvious efforts to update the dining room and lounge. The atmosphere was a bit old folks home and we took refuge in the local pub. The bedroom had last seen a decorator in the eighties although was clean and comfortable enough despite the towel rail falling on my foot. The dinner menu was from the same era and I think the starters had come straight from the cash and carry at Carlisle although the steak was fine and the dining staff were charming. Breakfast was ok but they'd run out of butter. I think it was a bit pricey.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clareprior
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your stay.

I am disappointed to read some of your comments; I do not agree that the hotel is “dim” nor anything like an “Old folks home” and our food certainly does not come from a “cash and carry”

Many guests have and still do come to The Derwentwater for a relaxing break in a charming hotel with clean and comfortable bedrooms, good food and a friendly yet professional team.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Lake District has always been my favourite part of the UK and so planning a trip to the north of Britain it had to be included. This hotel is located just outside Keswick and
is a delightful 10 minute walk away across a well maintained path with spring flowers in the hedgerows and baby lambs in the fields. You could also catch a bus to Keswick or even a boat across the lake.
The hotel is a typical mid range country hotel, comfortable with good service and food, very friendly and helpful staff and in a spectacular setting. You can take a walk down toDerwentwater from the hotel, especially recommended after evening dinner and take in the five star view across the lake to the surrounding fells.
This hotel is not flashy but it is comfortable, friendly and with good food and excellent value for money. It does have an arrangement with Oxleys a leisure centre a 5 minute drive away set in a former country mansion in the shadow of Skiddaw, with a great pool, sauna and steam room. Hotel guests booking with Coast and Country hotel group, can use this facility free. The views from its location are even more spectacular.
We chose this hotel because it was part of a group we had used before and knew what to expect. The group also has luxury apartments just across the road from the hotel and I might give them a try next time. The location is great and we were blessed with lovely sunny weather so the countryside was looking its best.

Room Tip: We stayed in a standard room. For a supplement you could have a lake view and more facilities.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time your have spent writing about your recent stay with us at The Derwentwater.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I will pass your feedback onto all the team.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

David McDonald
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinscale
The Keswick Country House Hotel
Dale Head Hall
Dale Head Hall
#12 of 12 in Keswick
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to The Derwentwater Hotel? Share your experiences!