“Wonderfully comfortable nights sleep”

The Derwentwater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portinscale
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Wonderfully comfortable nights sleep”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Just back from 3 nights here. First impression of reception, corridors and our room - a little dated. Our bathroom was a fair size but again dated, pink suite with quite a crack in the sink. HOWEVER everything was kept spotlessly clean, the breakfast was of an excellent quality as was the service, particularly at breakfast where we were made to feel nothing was too much trouble. Incredibly efficient and cheerful. We loved the walk down to the lake through the back garden and enjoyed sunbathing by the pond. Also pleased the tennis was showing quietly in one end of the conservatory - a bonus! Short taxi drive (£3.50-£4.50) into town for a great variety of pubs and restaurants. Perfect base for tackling Cat Bells and Blencathra. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in 215 which was very quiet, dark at night and comfy. It is not one of the updated/contemp...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I have noted your comments, and will pass these onto the team. I hope to see you visiting again soon.

David McDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Carrickfergus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a week here. The food was excellent, a different menu each day, and the staff could not be more helpful. Room was clean and comfortable and we would have no hesitation in returning. Perhaps the decor in places could do with freshening up.

1 Thank Knockagh
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, and the team made you feel welcome, they are an asset to the hotel and I will ensure your comments are passed on.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Third time back, food good all round, bar was lacking staff most times, staff still friendly and helpful, rooms ok but lacking in ventilation ie a FAN, only small window will open if u can reach it,
Hotel now looking tired and in need of a make over

Room Tip: Lake side view second floor
1 Thank MJC_bitsandbobs
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you keep returning and find my team to be friendly & helpful. I will investigate your comments about a possible lack of bar staff.

We have recently completed the second stage of refurbishments in 12 months taking the total rooms refurbished to 35, with the rest planned for next year, We are also updating our public areas as part of this ongoing process.

Driffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our recent visit to this hotel was excellent. The location, the grounds, our room, the staff, were all brilliant. We only had a small problem with the food, and that was just that the fish had bones. Monday's "fish and chips" had a few, but Tuesday's cod was full of bones, and I consider that this hotel's quality, and its restaurant quality were let down by this. That is a pity, but it will certainly not stop us making a return visit as soon as we can. For myself, I found most rooms to be too warm, even with windows open, but that's probably just a personal thing.

3 Thank Brian C
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay, all feedback is vital to us.

I am over the moon to read you had such a good time, and the whole experience was to your liking.

I have noted your comments regarding the bones in the fish, and will look into this.

See you very soon.

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed in the hotels apartments which are dog friendly. We were pleased with the size of the accommodation and cleanliness of bathroom, kitchen etc. however we felt the whole place is a bit "tired" and could do with a bit if a re-vamp. The kitchen had recently been modernised and included a dishwasher which is a god send. Everything you needed utensil wise was in the kitchen. We went across to the hotel conservatory with George and he was made welcome (apart from one employee who was quite rude and abrupt about him having a little bark now & again). I would definitely stay here again as the walks we did we're fantastic and the weather was wonderful.

2 Thank 464KAREN464
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to write about your recent stay in Derwent Manor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay (even George). I have noted your comments, and thank you for bringing these to my attention.

I hope we will see you back soon.

Regards
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

This Victorian hotel is situated in a very picturesque location with beautiful views towards Borrowdale and the garden is a wonderful area to relax in, there was even ducks in the garden.
It is perfect for rest and relaxation.
The rooms were very clean and spacious and all the staff were friendly, very efficient and they couldn't do enough for us.
The menu and food was excellent and the service was impeccable.

The Derwent Hotel has given me and my family some wonderful memories we shall treasure for life and will return again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank domsden
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, I will pass these onto the team who I am sure like me will be over the moon that you enjoyed your stay.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

My husband myself and our dog stayed at the Derwentwater Hotel on 30 May on a b & b basis. We both thought the hotel and grounds were lovely. We had a groundfloor disabled room which was roomy and spacious and very clean. The breakfast was excellent as was the evening meal. The staff were so friendly and helpful. We tried to stay the following night but it was booked up which does not surprise me. We will certainly be staying again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Julie S
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your stay. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, and the team looked after you. I will ensure this feedback is passed on.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

David McDonald
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinscale
The Keswick Country House Hotel
#12 of 12 in Keswick
Highfield Hotel
Highfield Hotel
#6 of 12 in Keswick

Been to The Derwentwater Hotel? Share your experiences!