“Love it every time”

Ranked #1 of 9 Portinscale B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Love it every time”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We went here for a few years and thoroughly look forward to going back soon. Such a lovely place, it's comfortable, clean and such a welcoming host. The breakfasts are second to none! Five stars every time!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank euanjpg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights while on a course at whinlatter. My room was very comfortable but if I stayed again I might as for a room away from the road as I am a light sleeper. That said the traffic is very light and wasn't really a problem during the night.
I didn't have any cooked breakfast but there was a good range of cereals plus a really really lovely fruit salad and some lovely fruit bread. Very good value

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
South Deerfield, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We loved our stay at Skiddaw Croft. Our room was comfortable and well-arranged, with chairs overlooking views to Derwentwater in one direction and hills in the other. Janette's breakfasts are terrific, with a wonderful fresh fruit salad every day and breakfast to order. We enjoyed the pheasants in the garden and the beautiful walk into Keswick, especially perfect if you like sheep! Janette was the very kindest and warmest of hosts. In fact, she is one of our favorite people of those we met during our three-week trip. We had commented on our terror at driving on the narrow roads of Yorkshire and the Lakes and, as we were leaving, we found her waiting at the road to direct us out of the car park! We called on her kindness again a few days later, when we arrived at our next destination and I discovered that I had left behind all of our chargers. Thanks to Janette, a package was waiting for us when we arrived at our next B&B a day later.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
lake district
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I spent 2 nights here with family including 8yr-olds this weekend which was my second visit and loved it even more than the first time. I had the same room which was lovely - very clean and comfortable, and despite the breakfast room being full in the morning, we felt like the only ones there.

Like another reviewer said it's not a modern or trendy spot, but Janette is a very welcoming host, the shower is amazing and the breakfast is out of this world! A really good choice in the morning including fresh strawberries and blueberries along with other fruits and yoghurts, different types of breads and oatcakes, and a lovely cooked breakfast too. My dad had a significant birthday yesterday and Janette put some candles in his sausages which prompted the breakfast room to sing Happy Birthday which left him suitably embarrassed, but I thought it was very sweet.

Portinscale is a lovely spot which I prefer to stay in than Keswick as it is so quiet near the lake, but it's only a short walk into the town. Lots of great walks to do in the area, we even bumped into some of the other guests on the other side of Buttermere! There's also an excellent restaurant 1 minute walk from this B&B called The Chalet and a pub nearby too. Overall excellent value for money, I'm sure I will return again in the next 12 months, I don't live that far away but I really love the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We've now stayed here twice - September 2012 and April 2014. Both times, Janette was a perfect, accommodating host. She catered for my special dietary requirments (gluten intolerance) by going to town especially to buy gluten-free sausages and bread for my breakfast. She even gave us the remainder of the sausages and bread to take home with us on our day of departure! Our dog was welcomed into the home and we were made to feel extremely welcome. Janette is very knowledgeable about the local weather and provided us a spot-on weather forecast for our trip up to Scafell Pike.
The location of Skiddaw Croft is perfect for those who like a village location with an excellent nearby pub (The Farmer's Arms), yet a short enough walk to Keswick town centre and all the fantastic facilities that has to offer. It's just a 20 minute drive to Seathwaite from here which is a great place to start a climb of Scafell Pike.
Skiddaw Croft is immaculately clean, the garden is beautiful and the views of Derwentwater are stunning. Top marks.

Room Tip: Top floor, room 6 has beautiful views of Derwentwater