“Top location for a conference !”

The Morritt Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Greta Bridge
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Took 25 of my colleagues to The Morrit for a conference. We were looked after very well; good facilities; good food; pleasant staff and good value. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: All the rooms were good!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 September 2011

The Morritt is exactly what it appears to be, an old coaching house. The location is excellent, only a few hundred yards from the busy A66, but somehow the noise doesn't seem to permeate to the hotel.

The building is period and the decor is in keeping with the age of the property, with a more up to date bathroom. The room that we had (Greta) had a four poster bed, which was quite impressive, but dominated what was not a large room. The room, according to my other half, was 'over-dressed'. I think that means that the furniture was too big for the room!

We had a bar meal, and having eaten here previously, knew what to expect and it was to the usual high standard. Breakfast comprised food sourced locally or reared by the hotel (according to the menu) and was good in both quality and quantity.

The staff were all pleasant and accommodating and nothing appeared to be too much bother. A request for an iron, resulted in a knock on the door before I had time to make myself decent such was the promptness of the response.

If I was to make a detrimental comment, it would be VFM, the food prices are refreshingly rounded to the pound (or half pound) making working out costs straightforward, but tended to be towards the more expensive end of the price range.

Molton & Brown toiletries come as standard which is a definite positive, but whilst there is hand cream in the public toilet areas, this is missing from the accommodation bathrooms.

The gardens of the hotel are lovely and well maintained and provide a pleasant setting for a relaxing drink or read of the paper.

Whatever, we love the place and enjoy stopping in regularly, and will probably continue to do so. All in all a very enjoyable stop over.

Room Tip: View the rooms on the internet first and ask if you want a view - some appear not to offer much
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wearytraveller066
Reviewed 23 September 2011

My sister got married here yesterday and it was such a wonderful day. The hotel is amazing and they have a fine selection of drinks on offer from both bars, as a fan of real ales I was well impressed they had Timothy Taylor Landlord. The cooked breakfast it self is a little small but the cerial and toast more than made up for that. The staff are all really friendly and helpfull. The best hotel I have been to as of yet and they helped make Rachels special day all that more special.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Good location and very popular with the locals but Sunday lunch was only average quality food and they demand 3 courses to be eaten. Menu should be more flexible.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We have just returned from an overnight stay at the Morritt to celebrate our first Wedding Anniversary, after getting married there last August. I love the Morritt and was both surprised and dismayed to see that it has a decidedly average overall rating, and so felt it was time I added a review on TripAdvisor to sing it's praises! It was love at first sight for me when we first visited The Morritt; it is a beautiful old coaching inn, and though located just off the busy A66, has a very rural and peaceful feel about it. When the sun is shining, then the gardens are beautiful to relax in and take tea and scones (if you are me) or a pint of real ale (if you are my husband!). Equally, when it is cold and snowing outside, the lounge area is warm and cosy. The ballroom is light and airy and makes for the perfect function room, and there are plenty of offshoot areas for people who don't want to be in the thick of the action!
Barbara, the owner and wedding co-ordinator is amazing - the only 3 things that we went with for our wedding that were not recommended/organised by Barbara (the photographer, suit hire and dress shop) were the only 3 areas where we had any problems! Everything else ran smoothly and was just what we wanted.
We have had lunch at The Morritt several times when visiting for wedding planning, and have also had an evening meal on two occasions. The food has always been of a very high standard, and we have always found the staff polite, efficient and friendly.
I accept that the rooms are expensive for what they are, but a lot of the tariff you pay at a hotel, goes towards paying for much more than the room itself.
I would not hesitate to recommend the Morritt for any occasion, be it a meal, function, or short break, and hope to spend many more anniversaries there!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KittyJoyNewcastle
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The bedrooms were comfortable and modern however the public areas downstairs were very tired and are in need of some urgent renovation - notably the bar and toilets.

Cooked breakfast portions are somewhat neater compared against that served to my friend staying in a nearby B&B at a good less than I was here. When the wrong breakfast order came to our table, the waitress was really quite stroppy and implied it was our mistake. It turned out the chef had misread the order.

The "caramelised" pavlova dessert was powdery and looked suspiciously like a production line supermarket product.

I would recommend this hotel if they have an offer on. £179 for a room and breakfast is simply not worth it.
is

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Trixiebe
SadieBriggs, Front Office Manager at The Morritt Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay.

I am sorry to hear that you felt that the room was overpriced, the rate of £179.00 was for one of our Platinum rooms, all of which contain Molten Brown toiletries and complimentary use of bathrobes, rooms also have either a four poster bed or half tester bed or Jacuzzi baths. Thank you for your comments regarding the decor and amenities in your bedroom, we do try to keep all areas of the hotel well decorated and up to date. I am sorry that you felt that the public areas did not meet our usual high standards, as with the bedrooms we are constantly re-painting and updating these areas.

I have spoken to our Head Chef regarding your comments on the pavlova you had at the function you were a guest at. The menu was chosen by the bridal party & sampled in the months leading up to the wedding with no comment of any dissatisfaction at the product we served. We do not have a record of any issues with breakfast during your stay, however if an error did occur I believe it would have been rectified as quickly as possible. I am sorry if you felt that the waitress was ‘stroppy’

Again, thank you for your comments; we do appreciate constructive feedback in order to improve the service we offer our guests.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 July 2011

On the 16th July, we held our daughter's wedding reception at the Morritt and it was everything we could have wished for and more. The planning and attention to detail by Barbara was second to none. From the start nothing was going to be easy, as my daughter wanted a vintage feel to the day, this involved bringing 96 different china cups, saucers and plates, and 11 cake stands, photo frames and other paraphernalia - but nothing was a problem - Barbara and her team took it all in their stride.
The food was excellent, service was friendly and yet very polished and everything just ran so smoothly. Lots of people stayed the night and 20 stayed on for Sunday lunch and I didn't hear one complaint about the accommodation, tasty breakfast or Sunday lunch.
I would not hesitate to recommend the Morritt as an ideal wedding venue.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
The Rose & Crown
The Rose & Crown
#1 of 1 in Romaldkirk

Been to The Morritt Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!