“Perfect for a romantic treat”

The Morritt Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Greta Bridge
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a romantic treat”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My boyfriend treated me to an overnight stay here (25 Sept) and it certainly put him in the good books! We stayed in the Josephine room which had a four-poster bed, lovely antique furniture and great views to a field of Highland cattle (which I think are so cute!). The room and bathroom were very spacious and had everything you would need. I loved the toiletries which were from the hotel's spa - the first time I have stayed in a hotel where cleanser and toner were provided - a very nice touch!
We had cream tea in the lounge area and a few drinks in front of a roaring open fire in the bar area, followed by a fantastic five course dinner (if you count the sorbets) in the restaurant.
Throughout our stay customer service from all members of staff was fantastic, very friendly but remaining professional throughout. A particular mention goes to the waiter, Alex I think his name is. He is a true credit to the hotel and really made a difference to our stay.
Unfortunately I didn't get to try out the spa - boyfriend forgot his trunks!! - and as we were only staying one night, I didn't think it right to abandon him, although in hindsight I'm sure he would have been happy if I'd left him in the bar in charge of putting logs on the fire. It just gives me an excuse to go back again some time soon!

1 Thank Amber-Jo81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
newcastle uk
Reviewed 29 September 2013

just returned back(28.09.2013) from a wonderful night away we spent the afternoon in the spa and enjoyed a bottle of wine out side in the hot tub which was fun.
The room was fab , bed a little small but I think this is because we have a super king at home!!
we had a platinum room and don't think I would want to stay in anything else as it was luxury.
The hotel has a grand old feel though out with wooden flooring superb painting and fire places ...except in the restaurant I'm not sure what it was trying to be, with beautiful oak panels then decor that would rival any Indian takeaway???, the food was great I am not a foody however I did enjoy what I had my boyfriend spoke highly of the main course lamb.
I didn't sleep to well due to noise we were in room 8 about the restaurant however this is no ones fault.
The breakfast was a good start to the day .

The young lad (sorry don't know name) who served us in the evening and the morning is a credit to the hotel and to himself.

The food and drink were all reasonably priced and everyone was friendly.

We will be back and will recommend this beautiful hotel and area to others...thank you for letting us stay with you.

top tip if you are not bothered about visiting the spa don't book prior as you may be able to visit if availability at a reduced rate of £10.00 bargain!
we booked prior although wasnt a priority and disappointed when on the bed on arrival there was this information maybe the hotel shouldn't advertise this to guests that have pre booked as I was annoyed to have to pay the £25.00 each when prior I was happy too?

Do visit as it is a truly wonderful relaxing night away

trudy mcgregor

Hamsterley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We were a party of four adults. Nice enough staff, lovely gardens but sadly we all didn't enjoy our lunch. £10 per person, we all had beef. Small portion of vegetables to share between four. Mash potato 'piped' onto the plate, beef a bit chewy and not hot enough....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
LauraBrownReception, Front Office Manager at The Morritt Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the hotel for Sunday Lunch.
We value any feedback that guests are prepared to give and your comments have been passed on to our Chefs.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our gardens, that you found our staff pleasant and not every aspect of your visit was a negative.
We hope very much that you will consider The Morritt again and that your opinion can be changed by a better experience.

Ailsa Long
(Reception)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Visited here on a spa mini break. We checked into the spa at lunch time, and each had 2 great treatments followed by full use of the spa facilities. As the spa is located in the old carriage house, it is somewhat car-themed; it's quirky, beautifully done, and exceptionally friendly and low-key. By 6pm we were thoroughly relaxed and made our way back to the hotel for dinner. Our room was very nice, although a little chilly. Dinner at the restaurant was fabulous. The food was faultless as was the service. The wine list was also quite good and reasonably priced for some good quality wine. The only down-side is the location as you really have to get into the car to do anything other than a short walk in the immediate vicinity. Overall, however, we would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a platinum room with a large 4 poster bed and traditional furnishings. The room was lo...
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary here - as part of our Grand Tour (starting in Taunton and ending in London - via The Lakes and Edinburgh). The team at The Morritt had made sure that cards, presents and flowers were in our room - such a great surprise. The room was warm, very comfortable bed and everything we needed. What was brilliant was the food - exceptional menu, fantastic service and lovely surroundings - this is for the dinner in the evening and also for breakfast. I would highly recommend you visit - if you cannot stay the just eat and drink! It was great!

Room Tip: Our room was "outside" the main hotel - a short walk - 1 minute before and after a great m...
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I was brought up around this area and my grandparents used to attend ball room dances here in the 40's and 50's :) and my parents attended occasions and I did when I was younger. I suppose I got married here for the sentimental values and my now husband loved the venue too!

Everything on the day was wonderful everything went down to plan I am quite relaxed but at the last minute they helped us deal with glitches such as the wedding music CD not working on their systems (they did stress to me to bring a USB of which I didn't I backed up the music to an email but it didn't send so please DO that!!) Michael the weddings coordinator downloaded it for us which was a godsend! The food was nice I didn't here anyone complain and the hog roast on the night was beautiful (the food was important to me as I am a dietitian!).

Prior to the wedding regarding booking the hotel rooms staff were a bit snotty and short handed when we asked if we could have discount on rooms staying the night before. As there was no family rooms left due to a wedding the previous day which is understandable there was only a single room and a double room left which would have cost around 300 for both which both my mum and I felt it was too much so we stayed at lily hill b&b up the road which is owned by a family friend in brignall.

Apart from the abruptness when asking for a discount (dont know until you ask) the whole experience was wonderful breakfast the next day was spot on! A few guests staying commented on the steepness of the room prices and access to the spa not being included in the room price which is a fair point and they both are in the hospitality business. I guess the morritt can charge a premium for the location and the popularity of being wed here.

Plus for stressing brides you have access great help off Lisa the weddings co-ordinator I do wish I had asked more advice so use it if you are a bride to be reading this!

I would not have changed my day for the world as I guess this is where I started out and you can't take the county out of a girl!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Though seconds away from a major road, this hotel is situated in a tranquil, rural location with virtually no through traffic and lovely short walks in its vicinity. I had a gold room which was full of period character, though with a smart, modern bathroom and a light, airy ambience. I was attracted by the spa, which is new and luxurious. However, the star attraction is the dining experience: the flair of the chef and the flavours of his market and and a la carte menus rival the best of London restaurants at a fraction of the price. Opt for a dinner-inclusive package and call to book, so as to secure the best price for your stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
The Rose & Crown
The Rose & Crown
#1 of 1 in Romaldkirk
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel

Been to The Morritt Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!