Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort
Abad Harmonia(Kovalam)
US$53
US$49
Priceline
The Travancore Heritage Beach Resort(Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum))
US$113
US$109
Travelocity
Ananda Lakshmi Ayurveda Retreat(Chowara)(Great Value!)
US$281
US$274
Agoda.com
US$191
US$133
Priceline
TripAdvisor
Paradise Gardens Beach Resort & Ayurveda(Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum))
No availability for your dates from our partners
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
All reviewsthe cottagesprivate beachnon vegayurveda resortdoctors and therapistssister hotelkerala houserestaurant staffsea viewrejuvenation packagegarden cottagespecial mentionmonsoon seasonsunday morningspent two weeksdays treatmentno alcohol
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We booked Somatheeram in October 2011 for a 14 day package from January 22nd 2012. The website booking conditions stated that a deposit was necessary and would be refunded if cancelled at least 30 days ahead of time. We paid a 30 per cent deposit of €1764. Unfortunately we had to cancel on December 21st 2011. We were extremely taken back to receive an email saying that they would deduct a €100 "fee" from our deposit. We pointed out that there was no mention of this in their booking policy online, which clearly stated that the entire deposit would be refunded if cancelled 30 days ahead of time which we had done. Remarkably, they then sent us a PDF of a policy document we had never been shown before and made reference to a cancellation fee on "page 10" of that document! We replied that this was unacceptable and that the full amount should be refunded but they failed to respond.
Staggeringly, we then received another email saying they were too busy to refund our deposit then and that it would be refunded in January! When I followed this up towards the end of January we were told that the money had been refunded to our bank account on January 17th. It had not. Eventually it transpired that they paid us on January 27th - over a month after we made the cancellation, and with €100 deducted.
Again we have requested the €100 back as this "cancellation fee" is not mentioned on their website. Again, they have failed to respond to us.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
24  Thank GRandJK
Reviewed 25 January 2012

The wonderful experience with ayurvedic retreat and very calmful atmosphere with a good service and the keralite style guest relation near the capital city of the state and the international beach. You can easly reach the airport and the bus station from here and also the shopping centers.

Room Tip: the atmosphere with beach and ayurvedic
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Johnchamathackal
Reviewed 14 January 2012

First, there are 2 Somatheeram resorts side by side but with different management as Nora has pointed out. This could be quite confusing, and the one I'm reviewing is the one without the pool (but had access to the one next door), and that has the orange sun logo. I stayed for 7 days in December and had the Ayurvedic rejuvenation package: food, treatments, yoga, accommodation, transfers and a day trip all inclusive.

The positives: I thought it was good value, in a beautiful setting, delicious food, friendly staff, very pleasant accommodation. Some people may expect more luxurious accommodation but the garden cottages were pretty and nicely decorated. I enjoyed most of the yoga classes, and the dining area which overlooked the beach below.

The Ayurvedic treatment - I have nothing to compare this with so a certain amount has to be taken on good faith. The massages were very pleasant and relaxing, but the medical staff didn't speak a lot of English and I really would've liked much more information about my treatments and about the Ayurveda approach to health. It was surprising that an Ayurvedic resort had very little information or even any books about Ayurveda, particularly when it's geared to the western tourist market. The again, I'm a researcher by training so perhaps needing to know is more important to me than it might be to others. When on one occasion, I asked my doctor about my pulse ( a standard method of diagnosis) and diet - he clearly became rather irritable, as if it wasn't the patient's role to ask questions. Despite this, I got the sense that the Ayurveda was very squarely aimed at the western tourist and less palatable treatments such as drinking loads of ghee each day were omitted from any regime.

The yoga was generally very good and well paced. However, I had a lower back problem and as a yoga practitioner I know what positions might aggravate it. Despite letting the instructor know about this, when doing a particular asana which required me to bend a lot he insisted on pushing my back forwards - a complete no no!! I think there may have been a cultural attitude of the instructor/medico knows best, something that in the west doesn't always sit comfortably.

One last thing - I traveled alone and had hoped that there'd be opportunity to meet others traveling alone, but this wasn't the case. The dining area was set up for couples, the majority of guests, but a communal table would've been good for the few single guests. There really wasn't other opportunities to meet people, which made my stay there rather quiet.

Room Tip: The garden cottages were worth the little extra
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
10  Thank emstar3
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This resort is providing very authenticate ayurvedic treatments, those who wants to feel ayurveda, and close beach definitely you will enjoy somatheeram. Staffs are very friendly and the guest relations executives meet you everyday, get the feedback and efficiently manage it. We enjoyed the stay and treatment.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eien s
Reviewed 20 December 2011

This place is mostly for ayurvedic treatments, which the staff also pointed out at arrival. We came there just for relaxing a couple of days without treatments, and my review is written from that perspective

Warm welcoming and briefing. Our accomodation was okay - bathroom somewhat simple. Mosquitonet and "smoke treatment" could however not keep away from our bed :-( If I should go again, I would prefer an aircon room.

The location is good, with views to the fishermen`s beach. However no place in the garden to sit and enjoy the views. The cottages has some outdoor furniture, but in a bad repair, and many are located with no views.

Pool at the sister property, which you also walk throught to go down to the "hotel beach". By the way the sister property looked nicer and better kept. Complimentary sunbeds and umbrellas at the beach. A bit of hassle of sellers. Beautiful sunsets from the beach. However it officially "close" at 5:30, sunbeds and umbrellas stoved away.

The restaurant cares for the various diets of those on treatments with buffet meals. One or two non veg dishes at the buffett, at evening you could pay extra for BBQ food. They killed a snake one evening in the restaurant. Appearently a non posionous small thing, but still - a snake. Beer and wine available. Be prepared to dine with people smelling herbal oils and wearing dressing gowns - it is a natural part of an ayrvedic resort.

Avoid having laundry done. It took ages, and smelled very funny when it arrived. Had to send it to cleaning at the next resort to get rid of the smell.

Not suitable for disabled or with poor walking ability, lots of stairs, steep paths.

Various tours and activities offered. Do not book taxi throught the reception - at daytime there will taxi drivers outside the gate which charge you less than half the price!

In addition to the ayrvedic centre, there is also a "beauty salon" which offers manicure, facials and so on. Pleasant staff and ok service there

As much as I liked the views to the fishermen`s beach and the sunset at the beach, I would probably stay in Kovalam next time - for better dining and more to do.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a real beach view from the sitting area. I guess the more expensive have the best views,but it also seemed to vary within the same category of houses. They say that "most rooms" have fantastic views, but this is not true.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple