“Disappointed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doddington
Fields End Water Caravan Park
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

My partner and I booked to stay here last minute as we needed some time together after he had been away. I had had some brief correspondence with the owners prior to booking. When I rang to make payment the guy I spoke to said that he had made a comment to his wife that he didn't know if he wanted someone with that email address and from Essex staying in one of his lodges ( you need to know at this point there is nothing wrong with my email, nothing rude or offensive, just a play on words). This made me feel a little uncomfortable as a am very fed up with being labelled an "Essex girl".

We arrived about an hour early for check in to the badgers set lodge but they were helpful enough to let us in hour an hour early. Upon check in we were taken through the normal things but then the guy started to tell us how we needed to make sure we used coasters with our mugs etc which I thought was a little unnecessary.

The first thing we did when we got to the lodge was start a fire in the lovely wood burner. Not even ten minutes later the guy that checked us in was tapping on the door. It turned out that we weren't suppose to use anything other than the wood available for purchase in the shop. This info was in the welcome pack but we hadn't opened this yet. Thankful we were allowed to keep using the firewood we had bought as it was properly treated.

The next day we decided to use the hot tub. I was disappointed at the location on the hot tubs - right on the front of the cabin, in direct view of the other cabins, the onsite road AND the owners house. Our first time in the hot tub seemed to prompt other visit from our friend in the office. He came over announcing that he needed to test the chlorine levels in the hot tub and this needed to be every day which seemed fair enough. However this meant that every single day he would come and knock on the door, making us get up, open the curtains and door to ask permission to test the hot tub (or to take a huge gawp into the cabin to see what we were up to). We constantly felt like we were being watched.

On our day of check out I decided to write some kind words in the guest book and found that almost every entry raved about complementary wine and home made brownies. However we never saw either of these.

The lodge itself was lovely but we felt we had no privacy what so ever which was the whole point of getting away for the week.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kristie M
Charlie B, Owner at Fields End Water Caravan Park, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
In my defence of your email address that was along the lines of "lady at the end of her tether@***.co.uk" (obviously not wanting to give your actual email address out), I jokingly said "I am not sure we want someone here who is feeling that way, clearly from the review you left I have caused offence, which was never my intention.I apologise.
I have no idea how your email address relates to Essex girls, and didn't even know you were from Essex, and wouldn't of had an issue with it. My wife & my mother in law are both from Essex.
To keep the check-in process to a minimum, we don't go through everything, as we know people just want to get the keys and start relaxing, that is why we do ask at check-in, that once in your lodge to please read the information in the welcome pack. The pack is there to ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible and that for safety reasons, you understand the hot tub and log burner. We also advise when you arrive that by law we have to check the chemicals in the hot tubs daily and that we would come between 11am and 1pm, so I am sorry if you were using the hot tub at that time. We do knock on the door if guests are in lodges at the time of hot tub check as we believe this is courteous.
I would advise people to check the reviews for the lodges by typing in to Google or TripAdvisor Fields End Water Badger Set or Fox Den, as there are many more complimentary reviews.
I am sorry your stay wasn't what you had hoped for, I am glad the majority of our guests leave with a smile on their face.

Been to Fields End Water Caravan Park? Share your experiences!