“MUST TRY!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Plough Inn
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, View, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Durham, United Kingdom
“MUST TRY!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

“MUST try”

5 of 5 stars Pending review

This bar/restaurant has recently changed hands and is now under the management of Aaron and Marie Sheils. Some of you may remember Aaron from when he used to work here before, leaving to pursue other things in 2012. All I can say is, "WHAT A TRANSFORMATION." Mark Hubble has returned as head chef after a stint running his own bar( very successfully but due to family issues had to give it up) and the food is now top notch. There is something for all including a kids menu although this is just a basic menu for now until Mark and Aaron get their bearings. The Mrs and i and have recently returned from having Sunday lunch and i have to say that the meat was the best we've had for many a year. I had the pork and the other half the beef. Melt in the mouth is the best way to describe it. The beers should definitely not be forgotten as i can only describe it as SPOT ON! This includes extra cold Guiness, Fosters, Stella and John Smiths to name a few. There has been a refurbishment which includes a major upgrade to the toilets and the whole bar seems lighter and cleaner. All i can say is regardless of past experiences you have to give this place a go, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank thebeerisgreat
Aaron S, Manager at Plough Inn, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you very much for your kind comments after your visit to the plough inn. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your experience and we look forward to seeing you again very soon. We strive to keep our standards as high as possible to ensure that our customers have the best possible produce and service.
Many thanks

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“good value and good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Good menu choice and very good value lunchtime menu at £5 for a main course. Real chips too! Only down side is the state of the toilets. Whoever mops the floors needs to clean the water a bit more often and that would stop the skirtings from being black. Obviously this doesn't detract from the meals so well worth a visit. Lunchtimes are not as busy as evenings and quite peaceful.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Durham, United Kingdom
“Value lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Visited the Plough on Wednesday lunchtime with two of my sisters, I recommended it, having been a while ago. It is lovely inside and my sisters were immediately impressed. We all had roast beef dinners at a fiver each which were very nice but I wouldn't say the best I've ever eaten also a bit cold, we followed with desserts at £2.50! very acceptable at such a low price. service was very friendly and quick and overall I would highly recommend this place for sheer value for money

• Visited February 2014
Hebburn
“A good Choice for Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We visited this 'Country Pub and Kitchen' for the first time and were served an excellent Sunday Lunch. My wife and I were eating with our two granddaughters and were recommended this pub.

We arrived at about 12.30 and were lucky to get a table as we had not booked, we were made very welcome and quickly shown to a table, provided with a menu and informed that our order would be taken at the table but I needed to go to the bar for drinks, also the waitress brought a colouring paper with games on as well as crayons to keep my 9 year old amused..

There was a good choice of meals with one course for £7.95, two courses for £9.95 or three courses for £11.95 as well as a children's menu. I opted for the soup followed by a beef dinner, my wife went for oven cooked gammon followed by Jam Roly Poly, whilst my oldest granddaughter had a chicken dinner with the 9 year old opting for Chicken Nuggets, Chips and Beans followed by Ice Cream.

The meals came with 6 vegetables and lovely gravy, a second bowl of gravy being provided on request.

The meal was one of the best I have enjoyed, it was cooked to perfection, very tasty and with helpful and friendly staff. The portions were good and we cam away stuffed and happy. We will certainly be going back. This was extremely good value for money.

• Visited December 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“EXCALLENT VALUE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

THIS IS MY SECOND VISIT HERE AND THIS WAS EVEN BETTER THAN THE FIRST.
its a warm friendly place with good plain food and excellent value most certainly worth another trip. Lovely lunch wit good service 2 lunches for £10 and sweets and starters at £2.50 each, we had a starter of nice pate and good crusty bread and a main course of Cumberland sausage and free-range egg (must have been half a yard of sausage) I had roast of the day which was pork and plenty of it and good selection of vegetables, SADLEY NO ROOM FOR PUDDING

• Visited December 2013