“Excellent meal”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Not enough superlatives to describe tonights meals. My fish & chips were fantastic. Light as a feather batter and HUGE beautiful fish. My partners gammon was enormous and accompanied by segments of grilled fresh pineapple NOT a ring from a tin. We will most definitely make a return visit

4  Thank Ann F
Aaron S, Manager at The New Plough, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Had lunch at the Plough on Sunday and it was excellent. We ate quite late (4pm) but we were lucky enough to get served having not booked although this is recommended. The meats were tender and fat/grissle free.The veg was cooked to perfection as was the Yorkshire and tatties and for those who reviewed recently complaining of flies I can report that the bar seemed to be fly free. I feel I must point out to those who don't know the Plough that it is a country pub so in summer months there will be the odd fly around but I have seen plenty of people eat outside so it cant be that much of a problem. Further to this, the lack of flies on our recent visit may have had something to do with measures taken by the management???

3  Thank thebeerisgreat

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The Plough offers really good value, tasty food. The staff working here are helpful and friendly. The menu is simple but caters for most tastes. Never had a bad meal - which is hard to argue with!
Genuinely can't find fault. The only complaint from me is that I think the price of wine and beer is expensive - but then I am by nature tight with money!

3  Thank John F

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent visit. We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us.
Many thanks

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Thought we'd try the food again as the restaurants been open for a little while.
Meals took 50 minutes to arrive from order, but overall we weren't too disappointed.
Biggest problem was the amount of flies bombarding our table during the meal. I notice another customer has made the same complaint. Maybe a device of some kind to kill the flies would be helpful?
The food was tasty and portion sizes were adequate, but in my opinion, the gammon was a little too tough to cut through, and the naan bread accompanying the chicken tikka was a little stingy.

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit in June. Apologies for the late reply. We are pleased that you enjoyed your meals and as a result of your feedback we now offer a bigger portion of nann bread to accompany the Chicken Tikka.
Although our food is cooked fresh to order it does take a little longer however we acknowledge that 50 minutes is longer than average to wait for main courses, we deeply apologise for this.
In response to the fly issue we contacted a pest control professional and have put in measures to dramatically reduce the amount of flies within the pub and we have noticed that this is the case,.
We hope to see you again soon. Many thanks

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Having never written a review before and always relied on others i thought i should give it ago. We last visited The Plough a couple of years ago where we had a bad meal so hadnt considered going back until we seen that it had changed hands. We decided to go for Sunday lunch and found the place busy,which is a good sign and we were not disappointed in the food. The meat(pork and beef) was melt in the mouth and the yorkshire pudding was the best ive had in a long time.............so why the average rating? I couldnt properly enjoy my meal as i was constantly chasing flies away from it and i was not the only one. I noticed there were three sets of double doors into the bar and they were all wide open,surely at least one set could have been closed to at least keep the flies to a minimum. I am aware that it was a warm day but there are other ways to keep places cool and gadgets out there to kill the flies. I know i will eat here again as the food was very good but i think i will leave it till the winter months and just go for drinks here in the summer.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience back in June. Apologies for the delayed reply.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Sunday lunches. We are deeply sorry that your experience was affected by the number of flies we had at that time. This summer we have seen an increased amount of flies in the area so it has been a struggle to control them.
However, having spoken to a pest control specialist, we would like to reassure you that the measures we have taken as part of their advice, we have seen a significant drop in the amount of flies we now get in the pub.
Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you soon.