I've not been to Guy's Hamlet since about 2003. Back then it was a quirky place and in summer somewhere nice to go for a pint and a walk down the canal. It is now extremely dated and run down (recent reviews confirm this is a pretty horrific place to stay). That said we were just looking for some lunch and to go for a walk. We both opted for a steak sandwich and chips which I was really looking forward to.
In my mind:
Tender strips of juicy steak, with plenty of caramelised onions, served up on a warm ciabatta bread with fresh rocket and a thin spread of mustard accompanied by some chunky home made chips mmmmmmm.
What we actually got:
A bit of shoe leather admittedly on ciabatta (but a very soggie part bake type). The salad was a little bit of raw onion, a couple of slices of tomato and lots and lots and lots of the cheapest iceberg lettuce. The chips where just bargain ones that were deep fired. I was underwhelmed to say the least.
At £10 each they should have been of a decent sandwich. This place managed to cut every possible corner and deliver something which whilst edible but had no flavour. I'm writing this review so that other hard working people who fancy going out for a nice lunch as a treat don't waste their money on this rubbish and get ripped off with such poor quality food.
My recommendation is to go a mile further down the road to Barton Grange which has both a lovely cafe for coffee/cake and lighter snacky lunches such as jackets and sandwiches as well as a really nice restaurant with a great seasonal menu. Yes perhaps a quid or two dearer but at least you get the quality you are paying for.
You've been warned.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine a canal-side hamlet of thatched roofed buildings and you're thinking Guy's Thatched Hamlet, just off the A6 at Bilsborrow near the market town of Garstang. You will find Guy's Eating Establishment and pizzeria nestling next to the atmospheric Owd Nell's Tavern, Guy's Lodge and School House Square. Guy's Restaurant & Pizzeria with its eyebrow window that is the largest in Europe always offers great hospitality with excellent local and international cuisine cooked in our kitchens and open pizzeria.Owd Nell's Tavern serves such traditional delights as home-made beef steak and kidney pudding, local game in season, chargrilled Aberdeen Angus Scottish steaks and fresh fish from Fleetwood. These are just a few meals from the extensive mouth-watering menu.Relax on our canalside patios were you can eat and drink whilst watching the canal barges and ducks, or on the tavern deck, our roof terrace drinking area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd so you can book your Guy's Thatched Hamlet reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Guy`s Thatched Hamlet Hotel Bilsborrow
- Guys Thatched Hamlet Preston
- Guys Thatched Hamlet Hotel
- Guy's Thatched Hamlet Bilsborrow, Lancashire