“Great Sunday Lunch and Good Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Red Barn Inn

The Red Barn Inn
Ranked #5 of 25 Restaurants in Lingfield
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kent, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday Lunch and Good Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I visited here meeting a friend for Sunday lunch. Having read mixed reviews was a little worried about what we would get. We both had the Sunday Roast which was perfect, there was absolutely nothing to complain about. The beef was perfectly cooked as were the vegetables. The service was good and efficient. The only niggle was we both ordered a white wine spritzer and got wine and lemonade not soda, however, the waitress took them away and replaced them without a problem. The deserts were great too. Would definately return here when meeting up again. Prices were average for what we had.

2 Thank JulieAnn32

Chepstow, United Kingdom
“Great place shame about the food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We visited this pub at 6.30 on a Sunday evening, so probably our own fault as I believe we got the tail end of the Sunday lunch roasts. I order up prawn cocktail to start and it is the first time I have had prawn cocktail without the cocktail sauce! My husband however had the pate which he says was delicious. I then had the roast pork which I assumed it would be in slices however it was like a rosti and was severley over cooked. My husband had the roast beef who said it was "curling up" at edges and appeared to be lying out all day but he said it tasted OK. The staff were very polite and attentive and the pub itself is an interested venue but I don't think we would visit again if ever in the area

Visited August 2014
1 Thank pn_davies
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Too busy to provide hygienic service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We visited the Red Barn on a spur of the moment visit on a Sunday afternoon. The place was busy, and as only two of our party of eight were eating we didn't expect to be accommodated in the dining room. After originally being told there was no service in the area of the pub that we could get seats in, one of the staff was kind enough to push two tables together for us to all be able to sit together.

We ordered food, and when we went to check if there was a problem when it had still not arrived 45 minutes later, we brusquely told that they were busy and we had to be patient. The food arrived, and we were left to find our own cutlery and napkins from the service stand.

One of the meals was then found to contain a large black hair, and when I took it back to the service area I was ignored by several of the staff who walked past without acknowledging me. Eventually a staff member approached me and I requested a more sanitary version of the meal I had been presented with. It was produced quickly and brought to the table.

The food was nice, though pricey (£15 each for a beef and a lamb roast dinner), but the service was pretty poor, especially as we had eight people bringing them custom. The member of staff who had replaced the hairy plate did apologise again as we were on our way out, but it was too late at that point - where food is concerned it shouldn't take two chances to get basic hygiene right.

Thankfully we're not local so won't have to consider dining here again.

• Visited August 2014
“Great venue, awful service, average food ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Very disappointing Sunday lunch our with the family. The head waiter very pleasant and made us all feel very welcome. Quickly shown to our table - great spot and nice building, but that's where the enthusiasm for this pub/restaurant ends.

After waiting quite some time and watching waitresses chatting and looking like they were not sure what they were meant to be doing, one if the waitress came over to ask us what drinks we'd like. After a very long time the warer for the table arrived (no glasses), a few minutes later the other drinks arrived and then we had to ask for glasses for the water - one glass for 7 of us arrived.

Starters arrived in reasonable time relative to the delay in drinks and overall the food was good - however the waitresses and waiter gave the impression they did not want to be there. It then took too long for the starters to be cleared so we all stared at a collection of dirty plates.

We then waited an eternity for our mains - at no point did someone come over and apologise or ask if we would like more drinks - the waitresses and waiter continued to stand around in a daydream.

Food finally arrived by the lack-lustre staff. We were not asked if we would like any sauces to compliment our Sunday lunches. When we asked the waiter begrudgingly went and got some.

The main courses were disappointing - particularly the roast beef which required the jaws of a Great White to cut through. Having waited so long we persevered.

Clearing the main courses then also appeared to have been missed out from the staffs job description. The head waiter/ manager then intervened but by then it was a bit too late. However after we explained our disappointment he did take the drinks off the bill.

Such a shame...

“Beautiful Building - shame about the food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We ordered food at the bar, I had the burger and my partner had a cheese and tomato sandwich, they asked if we would like chips or salad with the sandwich, I asked for both a bowl of chips and the side salad. The older man brought the food over, and I asked if there was any sauces, salt napkins etc. only to be told they were at the door. I Walked round to find the cutlery, but everything else had to be brought from the back begrudgingly by the same waiter. He did not offer to get anything I had to find him again and ask, which in the mean time my burger was getting cold. The sandwich which cost about £10 after we paid for the chips and salad (even though we were not told this would be extra) came with the smallest slice of toasted bread (it even looked like half a sandwich) the bowl of chips had no bowl but instead just 4 chips on the plate and the 'salad' literally a couple of leaves . We drank our drinks and left and we wil not be returning to eat... which is a shame for such a beautiful place..