“Where was the wildlife?”

British Wildlife Centre
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Lingfield
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We visited today as a family of 5 and paid just over £40.
I have never been so disappointed in a day out. The owl enclosure which is on the map and is meant to be a highlight of he centre was closed as being rebuilt, there was no sign to say this and no mention while paying.
We wondered round a lot of enclosures where the animals which may or may have not been nocturnal where no where to be seen. We stayed just over 45 min and during that time we really only saw a rat running through a tube , some otters and some very inquisitive pole cats.
I complained to the front desk and a manageress came out to speak to us. From the second she walked over we were given no apology for not being told about the owls just sarcasm and "what you only came for the owls?". I said what animals we were able to see and which we couldn't but would have liked to and this included the mole. I was told "well you can't see the mole it's dead" in front of my children. The mole enclosure is still there with no sign to say there is no mole in it. I appreciate animals hide away , sleep during the day but if the mole was dead and the owl enclosures are being re built it makes me think how many other animals were not sleeping or hiding and were simply not in their enclosures. I said I would leave a bad review on trip advisor and was told that no one believes it anyway and that I had a bad attitude at which point she went and got us a voucher to use at another time but even this had the wrong
number of people on it.

9  Thank colette1980
British W, Marketing Manager at British Wildlife Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

We're so sorry you did not enjoy your visit to the British Wildlife Centre. Our aviaries are currently being refurbished to create an improved home for our owls and a better display for visitors. But the best way to see these beautiful birds, in all their glory, is at the owl flying display which takes place in the afternoon (3pm or 4pm, depending on the season) on every public open day. It's a shame that you couldn't stay on the see that. Talk and display times are on our website and are handed to you on arrival.

We apologise that the sign on the mole enclosure, saying it was empty, was mistakenly removed. However, over 95% of our enclosures are inhabited and we have over forty other species at the Centre, many of which can be seen at the Keeper Talks. These take place every half an hour and we always recommended the talks as visitors get to see the animals up close and learn lots more about them. They take 15 minutes and so there are only 15 minutes between the end of one talk and the start of another.

We hope you'll use the voucher you were given to visit again and that you can stay a bit longer and take in some keeper talks. In this way you will really make the most of your visit here and hopefully have a very enjoyable day.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"harvest mouse"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Lots of cute animals I wanted to touch them but people were like NO NOOO animals aren't for touching but i got confused because I thought animals were for touching that's probably why I was arrested for animal abuse i swear I was jusybstrokjng it ahrjjajaja

In all all, this place is a great dayout and if you're a teenage girl you will be astounded by the cute animals.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

January is probably not the best time to go but it is one of few places open this time of year. Nice and easy to get to and free parking. The first hour we were there all the animals were hiding and all we saw was a squirrel and some rats. After some lunch in the cafe (rather basic and overpriced) we went back out in time for a keepers talk - nothing brings the animals out into the cold than some treats! After that, they all seemed to wake up; playful otters, posing deer, reluctant foxes, cute pole cats and beautiful owls. Well worth a visit and imagine it's great in the spring. The admission could be rather expensive for families. Cafe closed early which was annoying as after sitting in the cold to see the owl display I really could have done with a hot cup of tea! Note - they were re-furbishing where the owls live so didn't get to see them there, but they bring them out to fly anyway.

1  Thank whatcarolinedid
Reviewed 8 January 2014

good display of british wild life .well displayed and possible to get close to. Great friendly owl.easy parking at no cost and very easy to travel to