“One of the best souvenirs of our Australian trip”

Wildman Wilderness Lodge
Paris, France
“One of the best souvenirs of our Australian trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Lost in the middle of nowhere, this lodge is just amazing! not to mention the wonderful welcoming from the hosts. All the staff is so friendly and careful. The sunset is beautiful and all the atmosphere is very special and exotic especially if you chose to sleep in one of their beautiful tents. Restaurant is all very nice. The airboat trip just can't be missed, this nice trip on the billabong is something that I will remember for the rest of life.

Room Tip: any room will do. We slept in one of their luxury tent that I would highly recommend though the regu...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Anthology-Team, General Manager at Wildman Wilderness Lodge, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Babelle91,

Thank you for your feedback, we do have an amazing lodge and I am pleased to hear you were well looked after by my team. We are very lucky to have some wonderful sunsets and yes the Airboats are definitely not to be missed.

Melissa Hoare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

these are my experiences; We chose this venue to give me a small (2night) but real experience in the NT outback. I can say it offered the most fantastic vista's of anywhere I have been on this earth, for this, I thank you. We decided to spend the extra on Wildman which we believed would offer something special.

At dinner the problems started. They dropped our dinner plates leaving us to eat our meals in a empty restaurant as it took another 45mins to prepare more. We were put up in a dark corner with little service. We felt ignored because we could not be seen by the wait staff on the main floor.

Morning Breakfast we had to ask for services several times. We saw people enter the breakfast venue be served, eat and leave well before we even got our meals ordered. Frustrating when you have things to do. I felt like a bobble head doll looking around every second for the attention of a wait person which failed to come,

The position of our tent (no18) at the start of the driveway and at the end of the main road meant all our clothes and the draws had a thick layer of red dust. This was caused by cars pulling up at the end of the road from 100kph. (A warning sign the is to end and speed limits would help this). As the room was not dusted or serviced once during our trip the red dust was building up on everything. Laying out my white tee shirt on the provided area was a bad idea.

By 3pm our room was still not made up. I asked why and was told they do it later they prioritize the rooms that have new guest checking into. They come around to clean it at 4:30pm but I needed to rest so my wife denied them access whilst I slept. Surely the best times would be when you know your customers are out on your tours or by noon.

Lucky I had my own torch on my . It's dark at night and their is a major lack of lighting. We could not see the steps down from the tent at night or the path back to the office. No torches or adequate lighting provided.

We froze in the night. No suitable blankets were available. Second night we stripped the one spare bed of its blankets and shared them.

I was not able to get lunch. I was told the lunch I had planned to eat was sold to a person that just arrived. My food was sold to someone who should not be checking in until 2pm. Whats worse my wife and daughter had to sit and watch the guy eat what they considered should have been my lunch. Which was distressing for my wife and daughter. Due to illness I have a very limited appetite distress puts me off food. Ordering just enough food is not good enough.

I had a planned to be at lunch earlier than 12:30, we booked a 90min airboat ride originally for 10am but had to move it out to 11:45 because they overbooked us. They bought us back in only 45 minutes. hmmm why? no one told us. My bill still had us being charged for 90mins. They had to get the driver back to Wildman to confirm the time (obviously didn't trust me). Which was confirmed at 45mins so they changed the bill. I still don't know today why our Airboat ride was cut short.

Our check out morning we sat to breakfast and again we had a massive wait. This time we were advised their was a surge in the power which delayed our meal.

I was advised on check in that they prefer all charges to be made to the room and settled later. My advice: I recommend you get the receipts for everything you charge to your room at the time you spend and not later.

Time to check out no ability to assess the bill which was distressing meaning I have to recall this experience again. The bill arrived needing to be paid some two weeks later.

You know its a real shame I can see the potential. Hey it attracted me. It could even be worth the $ per night I paid with the right attention. The venue does not YET offer a relaxed atmosphere that with a little attention could be there.

We loved Jen and Leyroy our tourguides!

Room Tip: book a tent away from the dirt road.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dan0ne
Anthology-Team, General Manager at Wildman Wilderness Lodge, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Dan0ne.

Thank you for your feedback, as the General Manager for Wildman, I am very disappointed to hear that your stay with us did not meet the high standards we pride ourselves upon delivering.

I will not attempt to justify any of the service issues that you have experienced as, for the most part, they are unacceptable and highlight our requirement for constant education and training of our team. I gracefully thank you for making these comments and as such will be implementing processes to ensure that these issues are minimized. For example, based on your feedback we have already started a process of wetting the dirt road on a daily basis to see if this will reduce the amount of dust.

We are very fortunate to be in such a beautiful location and have the spectacular views and terrain that the Mary River and Northern Territory outback offers. I will pass on your positive comments about our tour guides Leroy and Jen, and thank you kindly for making note of this.

I sincerely apologise that your experience did not meet either your, or our, expectations. We do aim to provide great service in a truly remarkable setting with the aim of giving every guest a fantastic experience of the Mary River and Northern Territory.

Kind Regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our three night stay at Wildman - the booking was quite tricky but once there, the stay was excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed the day trip to Kakadu and in particular Ubirr - the scenery was breath taking - made even better by our guide Leroy .. who was excellent and made everyone feel at home!.

Our only comment was the majority of guests left after evening dinner leaving a lack of atmosphere and the bar area being locked up at 10pm.

Food was very good - particularly the evening meals.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hotshotchippy
Dear Hotshotchippy,

Being so close to Kakadu is one of the draw cards with the Mary River Region, and Ubir is a magical place. I will pass on your comments to Leroy, our Tour Guide and our chefs who work very hard to produce wonderful meals. Thank you for taking the time to provide me with your feedback and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Manly, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Having spent a week and a half really getting out and about in Darwin, Litchfield and Kakadu, we really savoured our time at Wildman's. The photos don't do justice to the beauty of the place, or the pool. The safari tents are really fabulous, especially if you sleep with the front open so you can watch the sun rise from your bed. Bring jumpers hugh because it's cold at night!

Hats off to the chef. The food is very good. Serving sizes were a little large for me, but delicious. Our kids were made to feel welcome and really enjoyed themselves too.

Wildman is a special place, and I feel it is excellent value for money if you don't do the tours.

Room Tip: The safari tents are perfect for families.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MediaTart
Dear MediaTart,

We truly are blessed to have such beautiful scenery and wonderful accommodation options, and you're right in saying that photo’s do not do our lodge justice, it is something that you must experience for yourself. I will pass on your comments to my Chef’s. Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Comfortable accommodation, friendly staff, well informed guides and well constructed tours, more animals and birds than we saw in Kakadu, high quality meals and reasonable bar prices.
Quibbles were minor but one could have been significant. There was no briefing re the possible safety concern of poorly lit walkways with trip hazards of steps and gaps, nor any accompanying advice that torches were provided and should be carried at night.

Room Tip: Tented accommodation is great but with the absence of air conditioning be prepared for significant t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthology-Team, General Manager at Wildman Wilderness Lodge, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Hi GreyJW,
Thanks for the positive review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Wildman Wilderness Lodge.

The lighting of the deck at night is something that we were aware of and have since added additional lighting to ensure guest safety and visibility. Hopefully this will help all future guests.

Thanks again,

Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Had a great stay at Wildman in June 2014 for 4 nights. We stayed in one of the tents and loved it. They were well appointed, clean and the showers had lots of hot water as the mornings when we were there were quite cool. A special mention to Peta, Sarah, Alice and Tiffany for making our stay so much more enjoyable with meal time conversations. To Deb and Richard who took us on the Mary River Cruise and the Kakadu Day Tour your knowledge of the area made for very interesting tours. Meals at the lodge were delicious. Hats off to the chef and the kitchen staff for delivering great breakfasts and dinners. We had a very enjoyable stay, thanks to you all.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi robyn1954,
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and the team and I are very happy to hear your comments. Our goal is to provide great service and it is good to know when team members have made a great impact.

Thanks for your kind review and for coming to stay at Wildman Wilderness Lodge

Kind regards,

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I did enjoy my stay at Wildman Wilderness Lodge but it would have been a lot more satisfactory if not for the double standards and communication breakdown.

Receptionists throughout the entire trip were just bad. I actually wrote them out in details but there were other departments and staff that salvaged the situation.

Melissa the GM was great. She offered an alternative to swap the fishing tour with the AIRBOAT. We had to give up on the fishing tour because it was only suitable for 3 pax at a time and we're a family of 4. This should have been reflected at the website or conveyed to us upon booking. However, the airboat was a great alternative, by far the best experience we had.

We started the next morning with the Mary River Cruise with Leroy, one of the most humorous and friendliest guy we've met at that place. (Our favourite so far.) Great tour of the Mary River followed by joining us on the airboat. Scott was operating the boat and we had a eye-opening tour of the Billabong. I would say it's a nat-geo worthy trip. Crocodiles, birds and other wildlife in close proximity.

We also took a short walk along the Billabong in the evening and were rewarded with parrots and wallabies. Nice sunset to end the day as well.

The food on all days were great. Breakfast had a nice spread but check-out were dreadful. We were settling the payment and AGAIN the receptionist were not well-informed on the arrangements. Her tone was terrible and did not offer any form of apology even after clarifying (4-5hours later).

Overall, the stay was great. We enjoyed the beautiful view and sunset. Occasional wallabies jumping past our habitat and birds flying around.

I would also like to commend on the following people who have made our trip fantastic. Mainly: Leroy, Scott, Melissa, Tiffany and Sarah. You guys were the reason I had to put Very Good. Find the right people, they can make or break the trip. :)

Room Tip: Find the right people. They can make or break the trip. If you're staying during this period, lo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Wa15
Hi Wa15,
We are so glad that we could make your experience a positive one. Combining a fantastic nature location with nice accommodation and great service is what Wildman Wilderness Lodge is all about.
I will pass on your comments to our team who will be very happy to hear your feedback.

Thanks,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mary River National Park
Mary River Wilderness Retreat & Caravan Park
Mary River Wilderness Retreat & ...
#12 of 172 in Northern Territory
#87 of 172 in Northern Territory
Bullo River Station
Bullo River Station
#2 of 2 in Timber Creek

Been to Wildman Wilderness Lodge? Share your experiences!