“Mixed feelings about swimming with the dolphins”
Review of Oasis Sea World

Oasis Sea World
Koh Chang, Thailand
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Mixed feelings about swimming with the dolphins”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I had mixed emotions about this unique activity, and find the review difficult to write.

On the one hand, how amazing is it to "swim with the dolphins"? Surely all of us want to? And while you do swim with first an Irrawaddy dolphin and then a pink bottle nose dolphin, both more unusual than "normal", the trainers also show you how to do tricks with them, which I found rather unnatural, and not what I'd really wanted to do. I could have declined these tricks of course, but I didn't. I'd paid a lot, so was then keen to get my money's worth.

I was the only one doing the swim that day, so I had loads of time and in fact found 1 hour too long. I think the price was very steep at 2,500 baht for swimming, plus 250 baht each to enter the grounds and see the show for both my wife and I. The show was kind of "fun". The audience was mainly to an audience of local school children, but extremely loud and naturally mostly in Thai.

There are changing rooms and lockers to leave your clothes. Don't wear a costume with a zip. Cut your finger and toe nails. And you mustn't have cuts or abrasions when swimming.

The trainers who help and guide you with each of the two dolphins are fantastic. One feels a little nervous to start not knowing what to do, but they help you.

Half way through a number of local school children came to see the dolphins that I was swimming with, and I have to say that I felt a little awkward in the sense that here I was a "rich" foreigner having a ball while they could never have afforded to do this. I felt like inviting somebody to take over from me!

The location is way off the beaten track, but one way get here is to have a private transfer to or from Bangkok to Koh Chang, and then stop off here en route to break the journey. It will cost a little more for the short distance and time, but that makes it doable.

I am glad that I did this, and on balance would probably recommend it to anybody else.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank Julian C

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Ayuthaya
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“get close to the cute creatures”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My son and I felt the show was not as impressive as at Safari World, but it was still fun and worth watching. The main attraction is you can get close to the dolphins between shows when they are resting/practicing. I had planned to get in and swim with them but my swimsuit had a zipper, which is not allowed because it might scrape and hurt the dolphins. Please be advised, and also trim your fingernails/toenails beforehand if you want to swim with them, and take off your piercings/jewlery. We also enjoyed feeding the giant grouper fish and paddling around in a pedal boat.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank fadanothai
St. Petersburg, Russia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Best day in my life”
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Experience must have everyone.
I was there yestsrday.
Kind and Clever Dolphins. I meet with Baaaam (30 years old dolphin) and Tien (baby dolphin). They are so nice! A feed them, sweem with them, play games.
But a bit difficult to get there by your own. I ask to take off on a crossroad Sukhumvit Road and 3149 Road (there is 10 km to Laem Sing). I was really lucky that meet someone speaking english and she picked me up to Oasis Sea World. I watched a show for 300 Bat, and next go sweeming with dolphins about 1 hour. The instructors showed me how they train the dolphins. Also they presented to me a slippers with dolphins))))
Emotions were high! And I still remember the dolphin hugs.
The price is 2500 Bat for sweeming. Also I payed 250 Bat for transfer from Pattaya to crossroad. And 300 Bat was a taxi to Chatnaburri Bus Terminal, and the ticket to Pattaya was 119 Bat.

Visited December 2012
8 Thank annafromm
Olofström
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Swimming with dolphins Chanthaburi - Nice place for a daytrip”
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Simple facilities, but that´s what i expected. Do not expect western standard.
Well organiced. Relaxed and well trained staff.
Swimming with the dolphins was a great experience.

Thai food restaurants on site.

Book on phone. No problem at all. Found number on web site.

Will be interesting to visit again after renovation.

Visited November 2011
5 Thank Thomas G
Siem Reap, Cambodia
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Sad to see”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Other than the dolphin show, there is nothing of interest here. But if you are pro-animals, then you will really get upset to see how such intelligent and gentle species are made to "entertain" humans. Cost 180 bht for the show.

Visited May 2012