“what a hidden delight”
Review of Old Tree's House

Old Tree's House
Ranked #1 of 5 Mae Ai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 December 2012

The entrance to the resort is well hidden with a small entrance which takes you a couple of hundred meters up a hill to the car park. Yes I got my truck up without an issue. The bungalows are situated by water features or pool with great veranda views from the restaurant. Food good , host great .. ( Paulo and Nid ) . Rooms were very comfortable and everything was so nice. I left my charger and Paulo kindly sent thsi to me in Chiang Mai .. I owe you postage and if I do not see you before I will be up again in February! Yes it was that good! Food was freshly prepared by nid and her helper .. Overall a relaxing place - especially with Paulo being a laid back person .. ( a true frenchman enjoying life .. and where better place to do it ).. wifi was Ok too .
Much of what Paulo does is for charity and well worth supporting . see you again next year!

Room Tip: try and get a poolside room - I thought it was one of the best locations especially for sitting aro...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 October 2012

We stayed at the Old Tree Guesthouse in February 2012, and we had a great time. Before our trip we tried to make a reservation but had no luck. However, arriving in Thaton we just dropped in and somebody had cancelled. What a pleasant surprise. The bungalow at the pool was very comfortable, the free beer in the mini bar is a great idea as well as the laundry service and the welcome coffee which is a real coffee! In addition, we very much enjoyed an excellent massage and the relaxed atmosphere all over the place. Paulo and Nid are very nice people and you don't have to be french to be welcome. Having dinner on the porch overlooking the valley is nice, although the food is ok but nothing special, at least the two nights we ate there (but I have to admit that we are very demanding when it comes to Thai food!). To know that some of the money you spend there is used to support a village school in the mountains makes the stay even more pleasant… Sorry, Paulo for being so late with this comment, but it was a busy year! We will be back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Old Tree's House and its owners, the Frenchman Paulo and his Thai wife Nid, have left a smile on my face. The small boutique hotel is composed of a few tastefully decorated bungalows in a beautiful lush garden with an infinity pool and different water features. Breakfast and dinner are served on the open verandah of the main house, which is a great place even if it rains!
Paulo is genuinely nice, incredibly generous and laid back, and his wife is an excellent cook who will only use the freshest ingredients. Mangos come fresh from the trees next to the house!
Paulo not only came to get us at the bus stop with his pick up truck, he also gave us good sightseeing advice and an insight in the lifes of the people who live in this border region, including many underpriviledged refugees whom he and his wife support in many different ways.
We rented a couple of scooters from them to explore the region around Mae Salong with its tea plantations. The hotel is only a 10 minute walk from town and the jetty, where we took the river boat to Chiang Rai. Although Thaton is only a small town, we would like to go back.
Good luck to Paulo, Nid, their little daughter and all who live at and through the Old Tree's House.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank asmile
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Old Trees House is situated in an Idyllic location, nestling on a hillside 5 minute walk from Thaton village. A tranquil friendly family atmosphere is created by Frenchman Paulo and hisThai wife, Nid.
Paulo was very helpful in giving advice on trips,and providing short journey transport into Thaton and the nearest small town 8 kilometres away.Transport is essential to explore the surrounding countryside,and motorcyles are available for rent from Paulo, Road transport in Thaton is not a "life threatening experience," local motorcyclists are much less reckless than those in Bangkok !
Village restaurants were inexpensive and not busy but closed at around 8.30 PM.
A good selection of Thai food is available for lunch in open air "restaurants" bordering the river which runs through Thaton. The river is also a very useful means of transport to Chiang Rai, taking just over 3 hours, but a same day return to Thaton has to be by taxi (1200 - 1500 baht).
A Thai massage in the (only) parlour in Thaton is recommended..

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Patrick E
Reviewed 14 March 2012

While this hotel is listed as being located in Mae Ai, it is really in Thaton. The hotel has about 6 bungalows in lovely grounds with beautiful gardens and a small infinity pool surrounded by two of the bungalows and the main lodge. It is quiet and off the main road. When we arrived and when we left, help with the luggage was not offered. The bungalow that we rented was next to the pool. It was cozy and nicely decorated, though lighting in the room was abysmal and reading lamps are not terribly bright. This is a real problem in mainy Thai hotels so if you like to read (and I suspect that many people coming to this hotel would be in this category), you better bring a headlamp! There is no AC in the rooms which can get warm during the day. Electronic gadgetry was excellent once you figured out to use it; unfortunately, no one came to instruct us. Shoes must be removed for entrance to all rooms and the lodge. I understand the reasons, but it is not my favorite custom There was a house next door to our bungalow whose owner seemed to be right outside our windoiw. They have a lending library in the lounge that is well-stocked with books and DVDs in French and English. The proprietor was not on premises and from reading other reviews, this seems to be a common occurrence, although his wife was in attendance. A full breakfast is included in the room rate. A fixed price meal is served almost every evening in the dining room and must be reserved in advance. We stayed one night and ate the evening meal which cost 240 baht per person and was billed as 3 courses. The fare that night was an over-garlicky soup, a virtually inedible main course of raw vegetables, rice and a tomato-based sauce which we were told was "like a curry". We couldn't believe that this was the main course until dessert was served (a plate of small tangerines). It was the only bad meal we had during our week in Thailand. When you are there, you should see the Wat Tha ton monastery. It is beautiful and has great views of the valley below.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KUFBH
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We are a young Australian vegetarian couple and we had just the one night in Thaton on our short trip around Northern Thailand.

We would have loved to have stayed longer at Old Tree's House.

After the bus from Chiang Mai dropped us off in Thaton, we used the phone box nearby to phone to be picked up. Shortly after, Nid and another gentleman arrived on scooters. We note that this might not be for everyone, but for us it was great fun, perched on the back with our huge backpacks. I noticed the guest house has a van and a ute, so if you aren't keen on scooters, perhaps ask them to send the van instead.

If you're backpacking like we were, you can quite easily walk from the bus stop to the guest house, however if you have heavy backpacks, reasonable fitness is required as the driveway is very steep.

We had a really hot and sweaty walk up to the wat nearby, which I highly recommend. Amazing views. My favourite wat of the whole trip.

That evening we met Paulo, who speaks great English and is a very warm and friendly host. He told us a little about the work they are doing in the area. We got on well, as he's really not into the Tiger Kingdom/Hill tribe/Elephant exploitation, instead preferring to take visitors on treks to see farmland, natural attractions, and introduce visitors to the school he had built for Burmese refugee children.

Nid brought out a beautiful vegetarian dinner. We can happily announce it was the yummiest food we ate on our entire trip! Very generous servings, not too spicy and rich for us westerners. Really hit the spot. As we ate out on the deck, a beautiful monsoon storm moved across the valley below.

The quality of the room was excellent. No issues with mosquitoes, etc. Pillows on the bed were a bit fat and dense, probably the only negative thing I can think of!

We're keen to go back in a year or two and spend quite a few more days in Thaton!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I stayed 4 nights in June in Thaton which is a lovely mountain village on my way
from Chiang Mai to Laos. Thaton offers a big choice of GH so as usual i used TripAdvisor to get usefull advices. I was quite astonished to discover a very bad brand new review amongst lots of very good ones and I thought maybe this adress is no longer a good one. So I phoned the owner before leaving Chiang Mai and my doubts disappeared.
This GH is really a pearl, the best place to stay in Thaton. Location, rooms, cleaness, food and especially the services are excellent - You really feel at ease and the owners Nid and Paulo are very friendly and helpful. Paulo organized for me fantastic tours off the beaten track and gave me lots of good advices for my trip to Luang Prabang. Nid fed me like never before in Thailand. On the fifth morning, to go away was a tear...
So don't hesitate when in Thaton - go to Old Tree's House, you won't regret your choice.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
#4 of 5 in Mae Ai
Saranya River House
Saranya River House
#1 of 2 in Thaton

Been to Old Tree's House? Share your experiences!