“Don't understand the hype!”
Review of Dreamcatchers B&B

Dreamcatchers B&B
Ranked #1 of 9 Saraphi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I found the host a bit rude and unhelpful. She seemed inconvenienced by any requests and has a bit of an attitude. She also did not seem interested in helping with any tours, sites unless they were her suggestions. It is quiet, food is decent, but I've stayed in much friendlier places. You can stay in many other places for less and meet wonderful people. Also I would consider how the other locations in the top ten are fully booked and this one seems to have rooms. Maybe it was a one time odd experience. Who knows

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank raft_and_ski
Annabel L, Owner at Dreamcatchers B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

It is very difficult to understand the statements made by this guest. To begin with when any of our guests ask us for guidance and advice on things to do in and around Chiang Mai, we promptly provide them with a long list of activities as well as the well known Companies to do them with. We also provide them with a Nancy Chandler map and spend a lot of time explaining the city and pointing out the various places on interest on the map from temples to markets etc... We also provide a list of nominated taxis that we work with to make to To & Fro to the city flawless. This customer was provided with the same services and in fact spent a lot of time discussing the various activities and companies as well as going over the map in detail. They finally booked an elephant camp themselves with one of the Companies on the provided list. They also booked a Cooking Class on their own from one of the many Brochures that are on display. So to say that I was "a bit rude and unhelpful & did not seem interested in helping with any tours, sites unless they were her suggestions." REALLY BAFFLES ME.... !! We take great pride in providing and caring for our customers from the day they start communicating with us on the e-mails to make the booking right up till the day they leave and there are no exceptions to that rule! In all of the reviews for Dreamcatchers this is really one that makes even wonder about the authenticity of this reviewer.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

I stayed at Dreamcatchers B&B for about a week in April 2013, leaving just as the Songkran (Water) Festival kicked off on 13 April. I traveled to Thailand from Florida after leaving the U.S. in late February, with stops beforehand in the Far East for military duty and then in the Philippines and Bangkok to visit friends. Six weeks later and half-way around the world, I found with Annabel and Dreamcatchers a wonderful stay with hosts who treated me like family.

From mid-February as I was arranging my stay, Annabel was great in responding to my e-mails, questions, and logistical arrangements. She was helpful throughout the process, and by the time I arrived there o/a 7 April, I was confident I had picked the right place to relax and unwind for a week before traveling back to the U.S.

Annabel greeted me when I arrived like a long-lost friend. Her personable manner toward me and the other guests set the tone for the entire time I was there. I enjoyed being able to walk into the main house and talk with her in the morning while she was working at the computer; when I'd return from hanging out in Chiang Mai in the afternoon; and in the evening when she joined us for dinner and we talked late into the night. This was beyond hospitality, it was friendship.

The staff working for Annabel were equally friendly, efficient, and helpful, and also made me feel right at home. The cook made delicious Thai dishes (you can choose from Continental or Thai for dinner), and I regret not eating more meals there, instead running around Chiang Mai at all hours.

The staff really showed their stuff and ability to adapt when I presented them with a problem on my last morning, having limped in the night before with a busted motorbike that I needed to return before my departing flight that morning. All of us -- Annabel, the staff, and one of the taxi drivers used by Annabel -- brainstormed the logistics of the situation and finally come up with a plan. It was far from perfect, but in the end, the staff helped the mechanic from the shop where I rented the bike to get it fixed; the repaired bike was returned to the shop; I had already paid for the repairs; and the taxi driver got me to the airport in time for my flight. It was one of those urgent situations that, if you didn't have the right folks helping you, could really leave you in a bind. It all worked out, though, and Annabel and I could laugh about it afterwards.

Aside from how great Annabel and the staff treated me, my bungalow was comfortable, right next to the pool; housekeeping was good; and all went smoothly for my stay. I knew the "rules of the house" on opening and closing the gates so Annabel's dogs wouldn't get out. I would come and go at all hours on my motorbike; if I woke up anybody, all the staff and guests were patient with me and cut me slack.

Another touch of home and shared decency: Annabel's three dogs, including three-legged "Tripod", all rescue dogs. My family also has three dogs, all also rescue dogs. I enjoyed lazing around with Annabel's brood in the mornings and afternoons, it was just another home-like touch you don't always find even at a more-personalized B&B. I could relate, and appreciate.

Dreamcatchers B&B is at the outskirts of Chiang Mai, which might not suit all travelers' itineraries if they want to be in the thick of things in Chiang Mai, but was exactly what I was looking for since I wanted a slower-paced, quiet stay after my military and other travels around the Far East. (It also wasn't a problem for me since I had rented the motorbike.) Nevertheless, one shouldn't feel daunted by staying 30 minutes outside of the city center since Annabel and the staff can arrange taxi service to/from the airport, and give you tips on how to get around and about.

In my case, I had the benefit of being able to speak Thai, had lived in Southeast Asia before, and am well-practiced in being independent and navigating the environment. That said, those who don't speak the language and/or have little traveling experience in the area will do just fine with the help of Annabel and her staff. Whatever is your question -- "What to see?", "How to get about in the Chiang Mai area?", "What is the best waty to get to Doi Suthep?" "Is going to Pai on a day-trip worthwhile?" -- Annabel knows the ropes and will also help you get it done.

I plan to return to Dreamcatchers next year at the same time -- this time with my wife and (I hope) at least one of my two children (both now in college). That was the only thing missing from my stay this year. Next year, I plan that my family will be at Dreamcatchers with me, bombing around town on our motorbikes and engaging in the Songkran "water wars", going to Pai and the Golden Triangle -- all the things that we loved before about living in Southeast Asia.

I'm glad we'll have such great hosts at Dreamcatchers to make it so much better and memorable.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Rich B
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at Dreamcatcher's for 3 nights in March. We travelled to Chiang Mai by train from Bangkok (big mistake!) but Annabel had a driver waiting at the train station even though we arrived amost 2 hours late. Then she made sure we had a hearty lunch! It was a very welcome beginning to an incredible visit. Everything about our stay was truly perfect. Annabel made our reservations for an elephant camp, poolside massages, and drivers for each of our excursions. The serenity, beauty and privacy of Dreamcatcher's location is well worth the easy cab ride to town. The breakfasts and dinners were exquisite, as is the pool. Our room was elegant and comfortable, with every amenity we could wish for. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaryMargaret58
Reviewed 19 May 2013

From 23 th of April until the 26th of April we stayed again with Annabel from Dreamcatchers. This time also with our son.
We and our son( first time) were for the second time very enthousiastic about the place. Nothing changed. Annabel,as well as her staff were again all very friendly, and trying to make everything very comfortable for you.
It was a great pleasure to be back again and relax in the afternoon at the pool. The rooms are still fantastic with very good beds.
Can't wait to be back next year and enjoy our stay at Dreamcathers again.
Annabel, thank you for your kindness and taking us with you to the Pizza.

Sandra Koenderink

Room Tip: There are, I think, four rooms and they are all very good
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We stopped a night at Dreamcatchers on a cycling trip around Chiang Mai. Dreamcatchers is a very stylish and comfortable place, with very friendly management and staff. The rooms are extremely well designed and furnished and very comfortable; and food is excellent with lots of homemade juices and yogurt. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Taja350
Reviewed 7 April 2013

What I loved:

- 3 dogs, 2 cats. Will keep to themselves unless you want affection and then are obliging
- great homemade yogurt
- love the breakfast omelet
- great green canopy
- pool a life saver in the heat
- firm matress - wonderful

FYI
- bring cash: credit cards not accepted
- best room is the one next to the pool - nice view
- curtains aren't so dark so a fair amount of ambient light at night/ dawn

The only downside is that you are far from town and you cannot just walk out your door to find food or a market. The location is fairly isolated. But that is why it is such a great deal.

So if you plan to spend a lot of time in town you will need to take a cab each way (250 baht) and sometimes this is a bit of a hassle and there are the roaming charges if you haven't got a local number (get one at the airport better).

Some peeps go here for a few days then move into town when they want to do heavy exploring of the city.

Room Tip: best room is the one next to the pool - nice view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank rarheaume
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Our family of four (2 adults, 2 kids aged 6 and 9) stayed at Dreamcatchers for only two nights while in Chiang Mai but I wish we could have stayed longer! The property is absolutely beautiful - impeccably maintained grounds, gorgeous house and well-decorated suite that was comfortable and very clean. The Wifi was reliable which we really appreciated as we relied on it to keep in touch with our families back home. We also used the laundry service as the prices were very reasonable (not inflated like those in hotels!).

Annabel and her staff do a great job with making you feel welcome. She is also a great cook - my kids loved her banana chocolate crepes while my husband and I enjoyed her spicy omelette two days in a row. The continental breakfast buffet is very good as well, especially the muesli and homemade maple syrup yogurt - a nice surprise for these homesick Canadians. Annabel has 3 dogs that she rescued and they are very friendly. One of them growls, but it's because he wants to be petted! My kids still talk about the dogs :) If you don't like dogs, don't worry, they are very well behaved and won't bother you unless you come over to pet them.

Annabel is very helpful with making arrangements for touring as she speaks fluent Thai. She even arranged for us to be picked up for our day at the Elephant Nature Park even though they normally only pick up from Chiang Mai proper. When we went into town to visit the night market, she helped us secure a taxi to take us back to the B&B.

For some people, the location outside of the city center may be a drawback however we didn't mind at all. It was actually nice to have peace and quiet for a couple of days after staying in the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for comfortable and reasonably priced accomodations in Chiang Mai!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saraphi
Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection
#6 of 19 in San Sai
All in 1 Guesthouse
All in 1 Guesthouse
#9 of 788 in Chiang Mai

Been to Dreamcatchers B&B? Share your experiences!