“Very pleasant stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thai Mueang
Kokkedal, Denmark
“Very pleasant stay”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We booked online following reading reviews at Tripadvisor. The hotel resort is beautiful with plenty of space, well kept gardens and a wonderful pool with adjacent hot spring pools.
Some previous reviews state there is no beach access due to a damaged bridge. This is not correct as it has been reasonably repaired so even my 4 and 5 year olds could get across - however do note the sand beach is steep and only suited for strong swimmers.
As reviewed elsewhere the prices for food etc is quite high compared to Thai benchmarks - however the food is also very good and delicious apart from a few misses.
One nuisance was checking out - we were told none of our 6 credit cards worked and we failed to explain the staff what it probably meant when the credit card machine said "no dial tone". So we had to be escorted to the nearest city to withdraw money from a series of ATM machines.
Overall would recommend this hotel for a pleasant stay with friendly staff.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KlausJensen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Thai first
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My husband and I travelled here with my parents who were visiting us from the UK. We booked this online with a huge discount from the advertised rate which made me slightly suspicious, but the photos and reviews looked good and it was located in the area that we wanted to stay (although i must point out this hotel is very remote and not close to bars and restaurants). When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised by how lavish the grounds were and how well kept it was. The check in was quick and efficient and the hotel and the swimming pool area really looked good. We were taken to our rooms and again no complaints, we had sea view rooms as advertised and they were large and modern with a huge bathroom.

We had arrived late afternoon and my husband and father went off to the local supermarket to get a few things for us and me and my mum walked over to the beach. Once I had convinced my mum to walk across the rickety hand made wooden bridge they have in place at the end of the pier, we walked along a stunning deserted sandy beach enjoying the outlook. We walked back later to meet our partners and this was our first experience of ordering something in the hotel, when we all decided to have a pre dinner drink. The young girl there was asleep at her desk and when we woke her she came and took our order. We then waited 20 minutes as she went back and forth doing other tasks. She seemed pre-occupied so In the end we decided that we would forget about the drink and go and shower and get ready for dinner.

We came back to the restaurant a couple of hours later. The waiter came and welcomed us and gave us menus and we tried again to order drinks, Can we have some white wine we asked, "No sorry we have no white wine", can we have 2 Cokes please? "no sorry we have no coke" by this time me and my mum had got the giggles, my father was less impressed but asked then "well if you have no white wine can we bring our own bottle?" to which they replied "No problem" so from his earlier shopping trip he went and got his own bottle of wine from the room. We ordered Thai Food for Dinner which was superb, fresh, well presented and really tasty. We ate in the restaurant for 3 nights (all three with our own wine) and we would recommend you stick with the Thai food as opposed to the western selection as this was definitely the best. We took our wine every evening and we had good service and a pleasant atmosphere.

What we realised as time went on in our stay was that we saw the same staff all the time whether it was breakfast or late at night in the restaurant. All of which were very helpful and very polite. We are not surprised they are tired and are surprised they remain as cheerful as they do.

Unfortunately this hotel is greatly under staffed, and is being let down by this. The cleanliness when looking closely is not up to scratch generally but in the rooms you notice it, I could write my name in the dust behind my bed! The hotel is looking tired in parts and this is a real shame as this is really a beautiful hotel set in stunning grounds it just needs a little bit more TLC!

For the price we paid we have no real complaints we really enjoyed our stay, we just feel that the hotel would be more full if they could just improve their attention to detail, and get more staff.

Room Tip: The beach front rooms by the evening restaurant are great!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DorIreland
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I really have to say that the Hotspring resort and spa was an amazing experience for my body mind and soul. And the warmth and friendly service of the staff made my stay a treat. The only negatives were it could do with a few new umbrellas by the pool it is a beautiful oasis and the old umbrellas don't do it justice. Also the statues in the hotspring need to be restored as they are broken. I would also recommend a service book in the rooms for guest explaining the use of the hotsprings, also with the room service menu and spa menu and may be also a list of some of the local attractions. The spa menu was very basic and we would have indulged more if they had some more treatments like facials, pedicure etc. May be when I go back some of these improvements will have been done as it would only enhance the natural beauty of the resort

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RDC_77
hotspringgm, General Manager at Hotspring Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 April 2011
Dear Rosina,

Thank you so much for your positive, yet beneficial report on your stay with us. I have noted all the things that you have suggested for improvement, and will work on enhancing them for your next stay with us. I have posted your review to all the department managers concerned to inform their staff of your comments and i'm sure they will be delighted to hear them.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Best regards
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Hi there my name is Antonio Fernandez, I´m Spanish, and I went to have a weekend of relax out of Phuket, place where I live and I work, I booked this hotel through an agency I usually use and I really trust, Hotel travel. com. From 16-17 of April of 2011, just last weekend.

*First the bad things: The air condition stopped to work at 1.Am in my only night booked at the room 613 Deluxe Sea View Room, It was working before during the time we were at the room. Could you imagine how I and my friend slept that night?

We wake up many times and checked the air condition but still didn’t work. Nothing we could do, and as the reception at the hotel said when we did the check in, it was fully book for that night we didn’t see the point to bother the reception at 1.am at night.

Next day after the buffet breakfast, with surprisingly no butter for the toast, I went to do the check out. My intention was to complain at the reception and just to get an apologize nothing else, but I couldn’t believe the staff didn’t care at all and even said a sorry, They were so busy with Khun Thai Customer and as I am a Farang they didn’t care at all, they were only care to call the room service to check if I use something of the minibar, I told them I didn’t then they stopped to call the room service to check. I started to get angry because the deal with me likes I'm nothing... I said this because I asked for complaining form and they said they don’t have, and they gave a paper to note whatever I want to say to pass to the Manager and THE RECEPTION GIRL AT 12 AM IN THE HOTEL SAID IN THAI TO THE OTHER GIRL "PAI LOI", meaning you can go already, Really rude and impolite because I speak enough Thai to understand them, obviously I refuse to writhe nothing in a paper they are going to throw away as it’s a non official paper of the hotel. Then I asked the email of the manager and they the point me the info@thehotsrping... which it’s the email normal inquiries then they wrote me the gm@hotspring... mail which I think it could be the email. But I didn’t send it yet as I’m not so sure about it.

This makes me so unhappy and so angry with the hotel just the worst behave of hotel staff I ever saw in my life.

The good things of the hotel I better let other customer say about it because this only thing make feel like I to don’t want to spend my energies on it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank antoniophuket
hotspringgm, General Manager at Hotspring Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 April 2011
Dear Antonio,

Firstly i would like to thank you for the first part of the Headline, the second part concerns me greatly. Having read through your comments, i can only assume you stayed with us sometime during the period between the 14-18th of this month as were indeed full on each day and had a contingent of VIP Thai guests who were attending a huge function in Phuket on the 15th. Not to say that is an excuse for the unpleasant service you received.

I guess living in Thailand, as you clearly do, you have some understanding of Thai culture. I can only imagine that during your check out experience, the reception staff were under a lot of pressure to serve the dignitaries and sadly you were "2nd best" during that period. To be honest, our reception staff are some of the nicest staff i have worked with in my 21 years here in Thailand. However i cannot use that as an excuse and i wont. I have met with the staff at front desk already to investigate the incident and reminded them of the importance of customer service and at the very least, acknowledgement of the customer even if service is not readily available.

With regards to the aircon not working during the night, our normal procedure would be to relocate our guests to another room but as you stated, we were indeed fully booked during that period and we had no rooms to juggle with. I do appreciate you understanding that as you said in your comments.

I sincerely hope that you will consider returning shortly for another weekend break from Phuket, and if you do, please feel free to contact me directly to make the booking. My email is correct as given by our front office staff : gm@thehotspringbeach.com

Kind regards
Perpignan, France
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We came across the Hotspring by accident and thought it so lovely we checked out of our hotel and moved in for 4 days. We would have been happy with a poolside room but were delighted to be upgraded on arrival to a private villa with our own pool, sala, outdoor rainshower and huge room with a fabulous bathroom with a jacuzzi bath.

The breakfast bar was overrun by Chinese tour groups but they were out all day so the pool areas stayed quiet. We made full use of the hot springs and then went back to our private garden to relax. We had a hire car as the hotel is very remote. The beach front restaurant was closed for refurb - it will be stunning. There is now a bridge linking the hotel to the beach, but I' m not sure about swimming from the beach - the cross currents looked too scary for me. There are some things which could be improved - the restaurant was slow and food arrived cold. It was expensive even by hotel standards. Staff were charming and helpful. There was not a lot of tourist info available however, but as independent travellers, armed with a guide book, a car, and possessing the ability to ask questions, we did all we wanted. For a chillout few days after the frantic atmosphere of Phuket, this hotel ticked the boxes. We loved it and will return.

Room Tip: Pick up a hire car from the airport
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Catllar

Many thanks for your positive comments on your stay with us. We are delighted you liked your villa so much, we agree they are special places to retreat to for some quietness and privacy.

We also appreciate your feedback regarding the food service during your stay. I have sat down with my Food and Beverage team to discuss the points you raised and undoubtedly things will improve due to your comments. Unfortunately the Chinese tour groups can be a distraction at breakfast i agree. The other point you made which is very valid is regarding the lack of information about the resort facilities and tours. We are in the process of having room directories printed by an outside printing firm and expect delivery within 2 weeks. As for tours, i have instructed the Front Office to look at ways to display the information and tours we provide in a more visual way.

Many thanks once again, and we hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Best regards
Perpignan, France
Reviewed 3 March 2011

We fell over the Hot Springs Beach Resort by accident as we were following signs to the Geyser. As we were not happy in the hotel we were staying in we just thought we'd ask the price. The approach is via a long drive with palm trees either side leading to a Malay style building in a beautiful garden with ponds, lakes and trees. Looked stunning and out of our budget.We asked the price of a room and were told it was 7800Baht per night, but as soon as we grimaced a bit it was immediately reduced by half. We asked the price then for 4 nights and it went down further. We asked to see a room and were shown one right next to the fabulous pool area. I thought the bathroom was a little shabby (I'm a bathroom freak) and said so. We decided that the pros outweighed the cons and we booked there and then for 4 nights, went back to our previous hotel and checked out. On our return to Hot Springs the manager met us and said we had been upgraded - we sure had! We had the honeymoon villa with its own private walled garden full of tropical plants, 200sq metre room, including a jacuzzi in the bathroom, a beautiful sala and, icing on the cake , our own private swimming pool, sun beds AND an outside rain shower with lovely hot water.
We ate that night in the restaurant and the food was poor - cold and late. Slept like a log, only disturbed by frogs happily froggling away. We loved being able to have a swim before using the garden shower - very exotic, and that's what we're here for after all!

At breakfast the restaurant was overrun by coachloads of Chinese tourists who attacked the buffet like locusts! Breakfast was at best average, no yoghurts or fresh fruit juices and no croissant. One morning they ran out of eggs.

The pool area is gorgeous and the hot spring pool was great for aches and pains and of course, we could slope off to our private oasis! The beach restaurant wasn't open - all being refurbed by a hoard of people dressed like mummies busily sanding down every last bit of wood by hand, and the promenade deck must have been all of 50 metres long. The beach doesn't seem swimmable - very sharp drop-off and the current from the river meeting the tide made for some interesting crosscurrents, but lovely for solitary contemplation as there were only about 6 sunbeds and parasols. We were pleased to have a car there as there's nothing in walking distance and even the town of Khok Kloi isn't exactly buzzing, except on market day, which we missed. We found the staff charming and although they weren't fluent in English they had enough knowledge to get by. Spa prices seemed a bit in the high side and the foot massage price was above a joke!

I'd go again for a couple of nights R&R if no car. With a car I'd stay longer because we felt we were in paradise, a beautiful place to come back to.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Europe
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Spent a rather relaxing 5 days here with the family. The purpose for staying at the Hot Spring Beach was for hot mineral water which was designated in 2 pools and are opened 24/7.

To get around in the area, a scheduled shuttle service at no charge is available and expected of since the hotel is quite remote. The shuttle will also take you to the hotel's private beach 5 mins up the road but don't forget to bring your own refreshments since only 4 beach chairs and a towel stand service is available. Guests who want a dip in the sea is strongly advise not to swim on the hotel beach front due to danger from the strong current. Though the sunset scene is picture postcard perfect.

Our only (daily)disappointment was the sight of tour buses loaded with Chinese tourist which means breakfast is always a survival of the fittest contest, not only do they pile up the food on their plates but they will actually stack-up on their daily food ration from the breakfast bar including juices poured into prepared empty water bottles! It is then wise to ask the front desk of the groups' departure schedule and time your breakfast accordingly.

Staff seems genuinely apologetic about the tour groups and are willing to make up for it otherwise.

I can highly recommend the Hot Spring Beach hotel for the lovely clean and large rooms, good food (no corkage fees ), attentive and friendly staff if you don't mind the noisy comings and goings of the Chinese tours.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
hotspringgm, General Manager at Hotspring Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2011
Dear Jaja,

Firstly may i take this opportunity to thank you for your positive review of our property. My staff have all been informed of it and it goes a long way to motivate them.

January is indeed our peak/high season and the inevitable tour groups descend on the resort, this year being as you said, mainly Chinese. In an ideal resort world, group business would be kept to minimum, however due to our new renovation and upgrade costs, that business is a welcome sight. I agree it makes breakfast a survival of the fittest and i do, when i can, encourage our more discerning guests to approach breakfast at a later time rather than early during the onslaught.

As you would have noticed during your stay, the beach restaurant was under renovation, and i am delighted to say that this morning we opened it for the first breakfast buffet. Having met our guests this morning, i was very happy to hear the kind and positive comments they made to their new breakfast view point. You may also have noticed that we were in the process of building/extending the bridge to get to the beach. This has now been completed and fully set up for our valued guests to use. I will be adding new photos to our website shortly.

Thank you once again for your kind words, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the near future.

Kind regards
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Moracea by Khao Lak Resort
Aleenta Phuket Resort & Spa
Natai Beach Resort & Spa, Phang-nga

Been to Hotspring Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!