“Nice New and Clean Resort”

and 1 more site!
Thanatthicha Buri Lake Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nong Ya Plong
Notteroy Municipality, Norway
“Nice New and Clean Resort”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Stepping up the main entrance stairs, I feel like I am on the set of a sequel to Stargate. It is grand, big, and the view is fantastic. Walking down to the rooms was quite a lot of stairs, and getting the bags to the room proved a challenge, but when situated in the room, it had everything one could want from a room, nice bathtub and separate shower, big tv, minibar, big clean bed, and a fantastic view of a lake and surrounding area.

The service is efficient and friendly. if you like mountain-biking, the area has a lot of very very nice trails!

Room Tip: There are several separate buildings, some are MUCH closer to pool/restaurant than others, so ask fo...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sn4p

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We spent a Saturday night at this resort with our two boys (one nearly 4 and the other 9 months old) as part of a large group of Thais and Expats from Bangkok on a cycling weekend. I'm not sure how many there were but I would say upwards of 40 people. The resort offered a very good discount for a group booking; nearly 50% off.

The website is great. I half suspect that they finished the website before they finished the hotel. At this point, I think the easiest thing to do would be to make a list of the pros and cons of this place.

PROS:

-a two hour drive from central Bangkok
-new, modern, clean
-large pool with shallow ends suitable for small kids
-the bathroom was the favourite part of the room for me. Huge soak tub with a window out into the room. This meant my big boy could have a bath and I could keep an eye on him and his little brother from outside the room.
-free wi-fi
-the staff, when we could find them, were friendly but would have been more helpful had we spoken Thai or they spoken English

CONS:

-the pool area has no shade, lounge chairs, poolside food and beverage service or towel service (such a shame since it could be such a great space)
-the decking around the pool is already loose, several kids (including my own) tripped and fell/cut themselves on loose boards. One man walking while holding his 6month old son stepped on a board that came flying up at him nearly hitting him in the face!
-the food was mediocre to poor and breakfast was abysmal and really carb heavy. There wasn't anything other than water and sugary "faux" fruit juice to serve my kids.
-the resort doesn't stock wine! Only local Thai whisky and beer
-many of the activities listed on the website (i.e.horseback riding and vineyard tour) weren't operational when we visited on Sept 29th, 2012.
-the free wi-fi wasn't accessible from our room and the only time I got a decent connection was from the lobby
-they tried to charge 200Baht for "overly soiled" bath towels. Remember, people were there for a biking weekend through the countryside and it's the rainy season!
-500baht/night surcharge for a roll-a-way cot for my toddler
-the resort is very spread out which means there are all sorts of connecting staircases and walkways. A nightmare for strollers or anyone who has reduced mobility! Even access to our room required a flight of stairs. This also meant getting all our luggage and baby gear to the room was a bit of a pain.
-The "cabins" are even further away and are wooden thatched roof Thai-style structures. Mattresses were laid out directly on the floor. Friends with 3 kids booked this room and commented how they needed to cycle to breakfast because of the distance! There is, apparently, a tuk-tuk service but I was told that it was unreliable.
-there isn't much to do in the surrounding area, which would be fine if all the activities portrayed on the website were up and running.
-there is a spa (supposedly) on site. I didn't visit it. The spa pamphlet was in the room but the prices were a little high for this type of resort in my opinion.

Overall, I think that this place has great potential, hence the title. It has all the right infrastructure it just doesn't seem to know what to do with it to make it great. Moreover, I got the distinct impression that this place has rarely, if ever, catered to a group such as ours. Foreigners tend to have very different expectations compared to Thais when it comes to resorts of this nature.

OH! I almost forgot the most ANNOYING thing about this place. My family and I travel a lot and I can honestly say that I've never come across something in any hotel I've ever stayed in that compares in the annoyance stakes to the DOORS on the rooms at this place! Every time you open the door, it emits a high pitched beeping noise. The noise continues for about 5-10 seconds even after you've shut the door! I can only assume that this is a built-in safety feature to let you know that the door is being opened. But let me tell you, I would find that noise annoying anyway, but when you have little kids who nap/go to bed early, you find yourself trapped in the room with them cause trust me, that noise WILL wake them up. So forget about taking turns with your spouse for lunch/dinner breaks! Even roomservice is out of the question! If they even do roomservice. There was no menu in our room.

Room Tip: DON'T take the 'cabins by the lake' unless you like roughing it in wooden buildings, sle...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank MrsCommons

Been to Thanatthicha Buri Lake Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!